The future of TapaTalk on TDIClub

My TapaTalk usage:

• I only use TapaTalk and only wish to continue using TapaTalk.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I only use TapaTalk/I like using it, but I am ok using a mobile responsive website instead.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I tried TapaTalk, but no longer use it or don’t like it.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • What is TapaTalk? I do not use TapaTalk nor have I tried it.

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
For several years Talkatalk has been a feature of the TDIClub forums to enable a better mobile browsing experience.

As we move to Xenforo in the coming weeks, I don't believe this plug in in necessary and therefore I am currently not planning to enable the TapaTalk plugin on the new forums.

Some of my reasons for this are:

* The new forum software works well in a mobile environment
* TalkTalk changes the experience of using this forum
* Ads may be added to the browsing experience and we are add free website.
* I've read of some issues with the plug in for Xenforo. I'm sure this can be resolved.
* When attachments and images are uploaded, many stay on their servers. that could impact images at some future point in time.
* Probably most of all, I'm not a fan of their privacy policies and previous security issues.

Before I finalize this all though, I wanted to get some feedback from the users via the attached poll as I know there are a number of users that currently access the forums via this application. If there is significant support and justification to continue using it, I may revisit this the decision not to use TalpaTalk. If you wish to share any feedback, feel free to respond below.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I like Tapatalk as I'm on various forums and it's convenient to have it via one app

A feature I like about Tapatalk is the ability to get direct mobile notifications not just for replies but even posts within threads.
I know you can set your email, but I get so many junk emails it's impossible to sort through.

Really the big sell for me is the ease of bouncing in between forums.

I can go to all of my groups: Yamaha, Chevy, Nissan, tractor forum, Toyota forum, Suzuki forum, Smith and Wesson, and TDI club all within a few minutes.

No need to log in or load up a browser.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Though I voted for:
"What is TapaTalk? I do not use TapaTalk nor have I tried it."

I'd recommend having a response option of:
"I don't care about the mobile interface as long as the non-mobile interface continues to be easy to use and doesn't become any more cartoonish than necessary"

Almost without fail when I have looked at other forums (vortex, etc.) they look really annoying and designed to prevent collaboration of any real substance . . . the classic TDIclub interface is *SO* easy & legible . . .

*Most likely sent from my run of the mill laptop or desktop using long lived touch typing on a standard sized qwerty keyboard*

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I like it for the same reason as sandmansans. Ease of use, and sends all notifications through this app. Though I really do like how the TDI Forum does not have ads!

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I tried using Tapatalk once upon a time, but I just prefer the browser version. Besides, I've found browser versions of some forums don't like mobile, so I just view in desktop mode anyways. Sure, requires some zooming, but more info on screen is nice.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I really only use for it uploading pictures because of how easy it is compared to the somewhat complicated way to do it currently. I realize it's not really that bad, but in 2020 it shouldn't require so many steps. The new site is still a two step process vs Tapatalk, but at least it's easier now. Not opposed to one less app on my phone now.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It won't hurt my feelings one bit if it gets the axe. It seems to me that the posts with the worst grammar, punctuation, and spelling inevitably have the tapatalk signature at the bottom.

lizwagen

TDI
2011 Jetta Wagon
I like being able to use Tapatalk as I can get notifications about topics and forums I subscribe to. I don’t use TDIclub on my laptop much – mostly just from my phone. Having said that, I don’t think tapatalk is very user-friendly, so if there’s a better platform, that would be good.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I like being able to use Tapatalk as I can get notifications about topics and forums I subscribe to. I don’t use TDIclub on my laptop much – mostly just from my phone. Having said that, I don’t think tapatalk is very user-friendly, so if there’s a better platform, that would be good.
I agree!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
I paid for Tapatalk to remove the ads. They then added the ads back. For that reason, I no longer use Tapatalk.

So, another vote for "I tried TapaTalk, but no longer use it or don’t like it."

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)

I'd recommend having a response option of:
"I don't care about the mobile interface as long as the non-mobile interface continues to be easy to use and doesn't become any more cartoonish than necessary"
This encompasses my attitude. Not trying to be a luddite, but I'm just not going to do the mobile stuff past my cell, which is POTS* plus text and voice messages.

Cheers,

PH

* POTS is a telephony industry acronym: Plain Old Telephone Service.

pdnation

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI Premium Plus
I use Tapatalk because it aggregates the many forums from different areas of my life into one app. I get all the notifications in one place. If the mobile version of the new site is good, I would use it. I don’t ever use a desktop version of anything because I do almost everything I do on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Thanks for the good feedback everyone. I was not aware how important the notifications with the use of TapaTalk.

I am still considering the possibility of bringing it back, but at the moment I don't have the time to do more research/testing before tonight's migration so I would like to try without it for a while and then re-evaluate. That will at least ensure that any unrelated issues are dealt with first and simplify their resolution.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
This encompasses my attitude. Not trying to be a luddite, but I'm just not going to do the mobile stuff past my cell, which is POTS* plus text and voice messages.
Cheers,
PH
* POTS is a telephony industry acronym: Plain Old Telephone Service.
Reminds me of the telephone terms POP (Point of Presence), and Tip and Ring - the two copper wires used to connect phones, when a service call was required to install phones or add a line (apps were not available that let you add a line to your plan and order a phone).

Brings back memories of when I was supporting a business phone switch and installing and configuring analog and digital desk sets.

One manager had me setup a speed dial number to one of his friends who worked at a competitor, but did not want the speed dial button labeled. Like that would fool inspectors during a anticompetitive investigation :)

I only use Tapatalk for this forum and a couple of others, only for reading, if I want to respond, I use a desktop/laptop.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Meh. I'm like Powder Hound and primarily use my cell phone as a phone but do use a few apps; I do not use it to regularly visit forums like TDIClub. For that I primarily use my iMac or MacBooks, though I can also easily access the forum via a web browser on my iPad. I downloaded Tapatalk but never got into it.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I like using Tapatalk because it keeps all my Forums in one place
There is no app for Fred’sTDI or TDI Club?

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I guess this is why TDI club doesn't work on my Tapatalk anymore. I really only used it through Tapatalk, since I find the interface through the web version to be pretty clunky I also like that I can upload photos through Tapatalk, whereas it's never worked for me on my phone. Is there any way of making it work still through Tapatalk?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess this is why TDI club doesn't work on my Tapatalk anymore. I really only used it through Tapatalk, since I find the interface through the web version to be pretty clunky
Define "clunky"; that is a subjective term.
Have you even TRIED this new XenForo based forum?

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Define "clunky"; that is a subjective term.
Have you even TRIED this new XenForo based forum?
The clunkiness probably has more to do with having a slower phone, but I only use my phone for my forums. My biggest beef with not having it on Tapatalk is that I can no longer post photos from my phone without having third party hosting. And Google photos doesn't seem to work for that either. And yes, I've been using this forum.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK. I do 99.44% of my TDIClub viewing on my desktop computer with the rest on my iPad or MacBooks. I've always felt phones were the wrong device to use for viewing forums.

Mozambiquer

TDI
OK. I do 99.44% of my TDIClub viewing on my desktop computer with the rest on my iPad or MacBooks. I've always felt phones were the wrong device to use for viewing forums.
Understood, but the work computers have a very strict filter that won't even allow TDI club, then my computer is much more of a dinosaur than I care to admit. (I go with tough over fast)
That leaves my phone, but the browser makes TDI club very slow compared to before.

Mozambiquer

TDI
xenforo is simply so good via a mobile browser, that tapatalk is no longer useful.
Have you tried to upload photos from a mobile device vs using Tapatalk? I've tried. It's not easy. I don't have any of the other photo servers, except for Google photos, but I tried using the TDI club photo server, I was able to put photos in which I can see, but others on the post said that they couldn't see the photos. I don't mean to be complaining, but I'm kinda missing the ease of use that Tapatalk had!

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I'm prolly too late for the discussion, but I would like it if ClubTDI would integrate Tapatalk to their site.
Uploading pictures using it is an absolute breeze compared to doing it on your computer ( Which a lot of users seem to have trouble doing).
As others have said, it's nice to have ALL your favorite forums on one app!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Thanks for the feedback. It is not totally out as an option, but once I finish migrating all the content to new servers this coming weekend I can look at changes like this. The issue with uploading images is much easier with this new forum and once the new version of the software is available, it seems that all uploads should be doable at the same time as uploading them into a post. The benefit of this is that the images in the post will be mirrored into gallery so it is viewable there as well for future usage.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I'm in the same boat as Dennis. I couldn't even imagine replying to or starting posts on a phone, though I have loaded up threads on my phone/TDIclub when trying to diagnose a problem.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Have you tried to upload photos from a mobile device vs using Tapatalk? I've tried. It's not easy. I don't have any of the other photo servers, except for Google photos, but I tried using the TDI club photo server, I was able to put photos in which I can see, but others on the post said that they couldn't see the photos. I don't mean to be complaining, but I'm kinda missing the ease of use that Tapatalk had!
I use smugmug.com to host my important photos, and I use flickr.com (free account) for the toss-away images. Yes, I know that Flickr is now owned by smugmug.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Thanks for the feedback. It is not totally out as an option, but once I finish migrating all the content to new servers this coming weekend I can look at changes like this. The issue with uploading images is much easier with this new forum and once the new version of the software is available, it seems that all uploads should be doable at the same time as uploading them into a post. The benefit of this is that the images in the post will be mirrored into gallery so it is viewable there as well for future usage.
A lot of the replies seem to be from the desktop users. I’m a mobile user and while I’m not really a TDI guy anymore I still have TDI swap knowledge as well as mk3/B4/mk2/Corrado knowledge I can share but this site isn’t easy as you all make it out to be to load pics from a mobile device.

Tapatalk might not be the best app but without this site won’t be one I check in on when I’m looking to burn a few minutes waiting on family or in a waiting room. As I type this response I find your mobile website to be a little clunky. A couple weeks ago I logged in on a laptop and it was a nice experience but I don’t see myself logging in on this site when on my laptop very much. Sad, this is what makes FB groups become the preferred medium and we know they are crap.