The COTYbuilt (HPA) Wrangler kits

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
I am specifically asking about this brand. Does anyone here own one?

Ive recently acquired a 04 LJ Wrangler with a blown 4.0 and as I don't have alot of time to devote to the project Im thinking of going this route.

http://www.cotybuilt.com/

Do you have one? What do you think? How is the build quality? Would you do it again?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I can't speak about that kit in particular, but I've never heard a bad word about HPA stuff (aside from the price)

jetmoto3

Veteran Member
TDI
1z mtdi dakota, alh jetta ute
i have one in my dakota with the nv3550, it works great.the build quality is great its all machined aluminum for the trans adapter and steel for the starter and flywheel adapter, I delt with marcel(owner) after a salesman told me it would work with a nv3500 and didnt have any issues after that. the thing you need to know are it uses the 2.0l starter, jeep clutch and flywheel, and you have to cut a piece out of the bell housing for the starter. If you have a 1z or ahu like i did you have to cut a little out for the vacuum pump, but if you have an alh or newer it it doesn't need any modification. by the way the cost was $995 shipping included

Last edited:

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
I think a CJAA in a Jeep LJ would be superb. try jimbote for a custom harness. He is a great guy

Last edited:

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Call acme adapter see if they make a kit for your transmissions. I know Toyota trucks/4runners gave some of the same transmissions. Thats if you want a bit cheaper.

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I got one when they were HPA, service sucked, they left out key instructions and I never got the starter cover plate. The adapter itself is well made, bolts are organized and labeled well. Price is very high. The time it took to get it was too long to.

I would not do it again. Yes it works and works well, but the bad service, missing instructions and left out piece just left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to them. Especially when you consider the cost and I was adapting it to a different transmission and motor and was more than happy to provide them with my information so they could use it to broaden their application base (CJ transmissions, ALH motor). Just felt like they turned their back on me after they got my money.

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
Any movement on this thread? Even thought its an expensive kit, I am starting to look in to this for my 99 Wrangler. I may get a different engine then the one they provide for about half the price.

Last edited:

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
@ onlyn8v: did you end up buying a kit from them? Also, are you getting the engine from them, or else where?

Even though its a high price, I may want to do this with my 99 Wrangler.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
I just decided there was too much profit to be tied up in the Wrangler not to replace motor with stock.

I have 4 other project cars that I never get anywhere with so I decided to bail on this idea (once again)