The Convoy Thread

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
Two Suggestions for "convoying" :

1. ANYBODY thinking of doing the trip should get a 2007 map software, and install it in their laptops. I prefer the Delorme product. There are others. There is a regular version and a "plus" version. The regular version (about $40) will do just fine. MOREOVER, if you can afford the Earhmate GPS for it, get it. I think you can get the regular version software + the GPS in one packet for about $100.00. CHEAP and WELL WORTH the investment when doing road trips. Believe me. You can plot your entire trip; i.e., stops, anticipated fuel stops, lodging, rest stops, you name it. There will be NO PROBLEM in "plotting" meet up points along the way, and once there, you will drive in Montreal as if it was your own "hood".

2) Car-To-Car communication: While a "CB" is okay, I believe getting a handheld two-way radio, like a Motorola "talkabout" handheld two-way radio (there are others), is much better for several reasons:
a) There will not be any installation hassles in trying to install the radio to the car, calibrating the antena, etc...etc..
b) You will avoid the typical CB crap on the airwaves.
c) The range of the handheld are decent to maintain communication between cars in any "convoy". The typical range of the handheld radios is generally pretty good, and the batteries will last a reasonable time.
d) MORE IMPORTANTLY, I would think you will be able to use the radios in and around the TDIFest area, and will have a communication system available to coordinate the event and logistics, and to keep in touch with others (without relying on cell phones, and avoiding those charges!!).

My two cents.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Another thing, about CBs, though.

If some people want to do a... um... speed run, then truckers often call out cop locations on the CB. :D

Plus, if someone gets in trouble, and everyone's out of cell phone coverage, cops don't monitor FRS or GMRS. They do monitor CB on channel 9, IIRC.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Cell phone coverage I would think would be OK, since I would be going on 402 and 401. The CBs are also a good idea; if anything, they will allow people to save on cellphone roaming charges.

bhtooefr said:
Another thing, about CBs, though.

If some people want to do a... um... speed run, then truckers often call out cop locations on the CB. :D

Plus, if someone gets in trouble, and everyone's out of cell phone coverage, cops don't monitor FRS or GMRS. They do monitor CB on channel 9, IIRC.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Nearer to the date of the Fest, the Fest Planning Committee will post some pointers for people travelling to Montreal from the US.

For example:

Many credit card companies AND Banks now charge a fee for foreign transactions. For example, Bank of America chrages me 3% when using my credit card or ATM card as a credit card.

Also, Bank of America customers had withdraw money at any Scotia Bank without paying any ATM fees. If a BofA customer uses a different bank, the international ATM usage fee is $5!!!

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
In regards to roaming charges and Verizon and crossing points

My local verizon rep told me that if I tell them far enough in advance I can add Canada to the plan temporarily for a month and then drop it for a small fee. Considering the fact that when I was on Ottawa and I incurred $67 in roaming fees in one week, it's worth it.

I will chat again with them and find out the details for those who have Verizon and in particular in the Rochester, NY area.

VikingRob and others out west - I highly suggest crossing in either Detroit or Port Huron (whichever is closer), it cuts a LARGE amount of time off the trip. From my house alone ( Rochester, NY ) to Detroit is about 9 hours. Plus the fact that you'd have to pay the NYS troll plus the Ohio Trolls. When we go to the state up north of visit my aunt (pardon the Ohio State humor there), it cuts about 3 hours off the trip as I have personally driven from Rochester, NY to Lansing in about 6 to 7 hours which would take 10 the other way. Buffalo, NY is a very busy toll station, plus the crossing there is VERY VERY busy due to Niagara Falls traffic.

On caveat - if you're going to also see Niagara Falls, then by all means go through Buffalo and then up I290.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I just checked Sprint's website.

$0.65 per minute for voice roaming in Canada, and $0.002 per KB for data roaming in Canada.

Montreal DOES have Sprint data coverage, too.

If anyone else on Sprint is planning on using their phone, you might call them and see if they've got a monthly option. You'll have to call them anyway to activate international roaming.

Edit: This deserves a thread of it's own. I think I'll start a thread with this info for various carriers.

Edit 2: It actually oughta be in that traveling in Canada thread, so I'll make a post THERE. I'll look up cell phone carriers, post here(?) or PM me if you want me to look up another carrier that I don't list. I'll start out with Sprint, Nextel, Verizon, Cingular, Alltel, and T-Mobile, so if you don't see one of those, just wait, I'm still looking it up on the website. ;)

Last edited:

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank You Very Much - Next Trip With Kids !!!

wny_pat said:
bhtooefr - you guys could always stop off at Wyoming, NY (just south of Leroy, NY I-90) and visit Brock Yates at the Cannonball Run Pub. Yes, the real Brock Yates. He owns the pub. It is full of pictures and memorabilia from the movie "Cannonball Run". Who knows, you could all end up on the cover of Car and Driver!
Wny_pat - I owe you huge :) - guess where the kids and I are going to lunch on Wednesday when school is not in session !!! That place is LITERALLY in our backyard and I didn't even know about it ??? My son will LOVE the place.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
For those planning on comming from west of Ohio. I recommend crossing in Michigan at Port Huron. Detroit is OK, but both the bridge and tunnel are very busy. I crossed at Port Huron-Sarnia after TDI Fest 2005 and found it very easy and free of traffic. Going through Ohio and New York is an option, BUT both the OH Tpke and NYS Thruway are pricey in tolls, esp the Thruway. Also, the Thruway is heavily travelled. Even though the speed limit through Ontario and Quebec is 100km/h, I find traffic moves much faster than that. One point, try and avoid rush hour through the GTO!!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
TDIinRI said:
For those planning on comming from west of Ohio. I recommend crossing in Michigan at Port Huron. Detroit is OK, but both the bridge and tunnel are very busy. I crossed at Port Huron-Sarnia after TDI Fest 2005 and found it very easy and free of traffic.
Not always the case - it can take 2+ hours to cross from Sarnia to Port Huron on a Sunday evening! (Ask me how I know!) Depends level of traffic at time you cross for the quickness factor or lack of. But yes, generally speaking Port Huron is better than the Detroit crossings for transit time.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Bad news on the Cannonball Run pub

brucetmoose said:
Wny_pat - I owe you huge :) - guess where the kids and I are going to lunch on Wednesday when school is not in session !!! That place is LITERALLY in our backyard and I didn't even know about it ??? My son will LOVE the place.
I went to Wyoming, NY today as promised - forgot that the place is next to the cafe, went to the public library and asked if it was next to the cafe - the woman told me the place was closed and for sale and has been for some time. To double check, I did go to the door, was locked, and the place did not look open.

So unless one of us hears from Brock Yates otherwise, I'd say too bad - would have been nice to meet there. Still could happen if it re-opens

I say that even if he lives there we meet him there just to let him know about the club.

MidwesternGRL

TDI
'00 black Golf
Is there anyone from Nebraska or the surrounding states going? I'd love to convoy with you all. And my be we could meet up with some other people from other parts of the country

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
I just invited Brock Yates to meet with us - somewhere

After finding the Gas Light Cafe/Cannonball Run Pub closed, I decided to find Brock Yates email address and invite him to meet us.

I did find his address and I did invite him. I suggested Friday Lunch, memo to the organizer's of the frest - if Thursday lunch is better, let me know.

I have no idea if he's still in Wyoming, NY or if he'll even accept, but hey, at least I asked.

So I put it to the group - If he's interested, I'll put up a opinion poll about which day.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
MidwesternGRL said:
Is there anyone from Nebraska or the surrounding states going? I'd love to convoy with you all. And my be we could meet up with some other people from other parts of the country
Our paths would probably meet in the Chicago area.

You may also find a convoy coming from Colorado and Utah, both coming into Omaha on I-80.

Kansas City, St. Louis, and Indianapolis would likely join us where I-94 and I-69 meet south of Lansing.

Teejay

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Platinum Grey
Vancouverdzlgeek said:
Sweet, I should be able to drive out. Vancouver to Montreal in 2days(lol) Its 4900+- Kms each way...

I may need a co-pilot, anyone else from Vancouver want to come?

Cheers
Erik
2 Days?!? I've driven from Windsor, Ontario to Vancouver, it takes 2 days just to get across Ontario (3 from Windsor unless you cheat and cut through Michigan) Roughly 13 hours (depending on traffic) from Vancouver to Calgary, another 16 (at a modest 130km/hr) across the prairies to Winnipeg, From Winnipeg you could make Sault St. Marie in about 16 hours and I believe its another 6 or 7 to Montreal from there. Bring some Red Bull and stop at Timmie Ho's, you'll need Caffeine. :D

Teejay

TDI
If anyone does decide to use a CB for speedtrap checks, be sure to make note of the mile marker anytime you see a cop car, and what side it was on (eastbound or westbound) It'll come in handy when truckers are reluctant to give up any info.

"This here's Diesel Demon, lookin for bears, saw one over at the 195 with a 4 wheeler on the westbound side, chicken coup's closed both directions, Got one sittin in the middle lookin your direction at the 370, and a Diesel bear caught him a chicken truck over at the 231 Eastbound. Where dem bears at?" LOL :D

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Just a tip for anyone crossing at Buffalo/Fort Erie or Detroit/WIndsor or Port Huron/Sarnia. As you approach Torontos, depending on what time of day it is, take the 407 Toll route. They take a picture of your liscence plate & mail you the bill. As far as I know, there is no cooperation between thsese guys and any out of province or state agencies. So you get to goi around the city for free. I will look into it closer to the date though to be sure.

Having said that, the 401 through Toronto is not that bad at times, so plan your trip accordingly. If you pass through between 9am and 10am Friday, that will put you in Montreal between 2-3pm. So you avoid rush hour in both cities.

BTW, I'm down for a convoy meet along the 401. I'll visit this thread around July to see what develops :). I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to be part of one of many possible convoys as there really are only a few ways to get to Montreal from the west and I'm sure there will be lots of cars travelling at different times.

kharmin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta, DSG, Package 0
Wingnut said:
Having said that, the 401 through Toronto is not that bad at times, so plan your trip accordingly. If you pass through between 9am and 10am Friday, that will put you in Montreal between 2-3pm. So you avoid rush hour in both cities.
If I can make it, I'll probably be overnighting with (non-TDI :eek:) friends in the Toronto area. Thanks for the time frame, Wingnut!

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Anyone from the West Coast?

It looks like I wil have to drive to the mid-west solo and then hook-up with a caravan!

golfnman

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Might want to join the convoy.

NC thru VA Route # 77 to Akron, OH and join up there?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
In a Golf, pullin' logs
Passat Pete with a reefer on
And a Jetta haulin' hogs

There can't be a rubber duck, because we don't have the 3L Lupo... and he couldn't put the hammer down...

Teejay

TDI
alphaseinor said:
Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
In a Golf, pullin' logs
Passat Pete with a reefer on
And a Jetta haulin' hogs

There can't be a rubber duck, because we don't have the 3L Lupo... and he couldn't put the hammer down...
LMAO nice.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Hmmm I might join the convoy for this one. I'm in DC and would head straight North to meet the convoy in upstate NY.

span1_85

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5sp
yeah im in salem NJ (which is like right next to the Delaware Memorial Bridge) and would take the NJ turnpike up to I-87 and so forth... I might be going i might not... not sure yet.. we'll see whos going from this neck of the woods and go form there...

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
Meet in Ontario

If we do pull this off a great place for all those sarnia,windsor,detroit, border crossers is to meet in napanee just outside of kingston at the flying-j may not be great fuel, but is right off the 401 and has huge facilities to accomidate such a large group, also just on the other side of kingston there is a husky pretty good usually the best fuel prices better than fly-j by a few cents sometimes. We could then meet up with the NY crossers 20 min drving time from kingston.

Last edited:

imperium

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
I am heavily considering coming to Fest. I would love to join up with other TDIers for short or long haul convoy. Anyone coming up from FL/GA/SC/NC?

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
imperium said:
I am heavily considering coming to Fest. I would love to join up with other TDIers for short or long haul convoy. Anyone coming up from FL/GA/SC/NC?
I think a key route to get there from the southeastern states would probably be I-81, since it allows avoidance of all the major cities between Washington and Boston on I-95.

From I-95 in Florida and Georgia, I would take I-26 west to Columbia, SC, then take I-77 north to I-81, then east on I-88 to the Albany area, then north on I-87 and A-15 to Montreal (or continue north on I-81 to the 401). Next reasonable interstate links between I-95 and I-81 would be I-64 west from Richmond to Staunton; I-83 from Baltimore to Harrisburg; and I-476 from Chester to Scranton ($).

dieselrox

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Pkg 2
According to Google maps, the best route to Montreal from Northern Virginia is across the Rt. 15 bridge at Leesburg and then up to Harrisburg to join Interstate 81. It's a solid 10-11 hour drive. If anyone is interested in a Northern Virginia convoy, I'd like to suggest meeting at the parking lot at the NOVA campus in Sterling and go from there. Early in the morning, obviously. If anyone in the area is interested let's chat about it.

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
For those heading thru the Syracuse area, I would recommend the 7th North Street exit from I81 as a great meeting place. There are numerous options for eating, sleeping and fueling. And it is easy on and easy off.

However, the NYS Fair overlaps Labor Day weekend. That area gets pretty busy... at least it used to.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
NathanMSL said:
Come on Tomo, you know you want to ride along. ;)
Specially with you in that car of yours. Damn that thing was quick. From you map I think some of us from down south could join up with the convoy somewhere in Kentucky or Ohio.

imperium said:
I'll be heading up from Gainesville, FL. After this last year going through DC and PA I think avoiding I95 would be a good idea. I need to look it over some but I think cutting over from here to Loiusville, KY would work. Still working on ideas to minimize traffic and tolls.

Last edited: