The Baby's Dead!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Had a little accident yesterday on the way into work. Hit an island in the middle of the road with the left front wheel. Wheel is cocked in, makes a grinding sound when in gear.

Insurance declared it a total loss:(.

I'll get pictures to post in the next couple of days.

Big Cry!

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Are you sure it is a total loss? Did you indicate all the monies you've spent on maintenance? Just some thoughts.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Sorry the insurance declared it a total loss. So what are you thinking for the next step? Perhaps buy it back, rebuild it or part it out - I remember the tomo car and it seemed to have a few unique things about it.

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I am thinking of next steps. It definitely has suspension problems and the driver's door doesn't fit right, it's gaping out at the top. The insurance adjuster said he quit writing down what needed to be fixed because it became obvious that it would cost more than they have it being worth. Insurance is telling me basically 8K for the car.

Thought about buying it back but still owe on the car and am not sure I want to borrow to fix it. I definitely don't have time, place, ability etc to part the car back out.

We'll see, thinking seriously about a '12 Passat SEL TDI right now.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
A total loss for... what, ? I assume no frame damage occured so all you would have to do is bolt in new suspension parts.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Someone here might be interested in buying it back... if nothing else for the engine and transmission. Be sure to keep us in the loop!

The door fit issue sounds like the damage is more than just the suspension :(

-J

TheGrove

TDI
A total loss for... what, ? I assume no frame damage occured so all you would have to do is bolt in new suspension parts.
Someone here might be interested in buying it back... if nothing else for the engine and transmission. Be sure to keep us in the loop!

The door fit issue sounds like the damage is more than just the suspension :(
-J
Oh there is more than suspension. I wish I had taken pictures yesterday but I was busy with other things. I don't know if the frame got tweaked or not but I know there is something amiss in the drive-train due to the grinding I was hearing. Don't know if it is just one of the axle's poped out or what but when it is in gear you hear it and the car won't move.

But there is also body work damage. The lower valance on the front is damaged along with some of the lower grill work. The front left fender is damaged. The rocker panel and lower drivers & rear doors are scraped and bent. Not sure about the left rear quarter, the tire is flat from where it hit the curb on the island so I would not be surprised that there isn't some body damage as well. It will also need at least 3 new wheels as both fronts and the left rear look like they were scraped pretty good by the cement.

Also the car has almost 275,000 miles on it. While the body and interior are in good shape it isn't perfect.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well it looks like a new Passat TDI then to me. However lets see you have the first common rail to make it to 200k!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry the insurance declared it a total loss. So what are you thinking for the next step? Perhaps buy it back, rebuild it or part it out - I remember the tomo car and it seemed to have a few unique things about it.
Oh lets see. It had the W8 console, a different audi shift knob, a chrome part for the armrest, navi unit, W8 tailights, balance shaft conversion by oilhammer, GLX wheels. It was a great car. Oh yea a rare color to boot.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Grove, I have just PM'd you re a development I have been alerted to and you may be very interested in this.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wow, Bill, sorry to hear about this. If you want to try and part it out, I'll come get the car and bring it back here and we can work something out.

That sucks, though... nice car. :(

TheGrove

TDI
Wow, Bill, sorry to hear about this. If you want to try and part it out, I'll come get the car and bring it back here and we can work something out.

That sucks, though... nice car. :(
I'm checking on the price and will let you know.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I was looking forward to seeing that car pass 300k :(.

But maybe some of its bits can live on. Be a great car to save a 1.8t Passat with a locked up engine, since you'd have everything you'd need to convert it.

TheGrove

TDI
I checked into doing a buy-back and it is going to be more trouble than I want to undertake. Sorry I know there are good parts there but since I still owe money to the bank it is more trouble than I want to undertake.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We are all glad that you are okay and that the car will be replaced. Ooh but that prime motor and other assorted bits will be a joy for someone.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Find out which auction it goes to. Maybe someone in the area can get lucky

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
After this week, 1,300 mile trip into West Texas and New Mexico, I wish someone would have stolen mine. More codes, emissions workshop. Pain in the butt car....scan tonight...see what gifts I have received from the VW gods.:mad:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
After this week, 1,300 mile trip into West Texas and New Mexico, I wish someone would have stolen mine. More codes, emissions workshop. Pain in the butt car....scan tonight...see what gifts I have received from the VW gods.:mad:
A "Turd" is that too harsh

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
post the vin and give me your insurance carrier, I will follow the car through the system, if anyone wants it I can buy it for them at auction

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If you ever get into ABQ, let me know...
Had business in Lea and Eddy counties. If i get over that way, I certainly will.

Looks like I have a charge air leak (small) and not even big enough to go into limp mode. Must be one of those hose O rings. I suppose after 130K miles, it's time to have a hose inspection. Maybe I'll just go ahead and replace vacuum lines while I am at it.

TheGrove

TDI
post the vin and give me your insurance carrier, I will follow the car through the system, if anyone wants it I can buy it for them at auction
Just to be safe I sent the VIN in a PM. The insurance is Progressive.