The Alberta Thread.

Chowcow

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey all,

I just moved to Calgary in September and purchased my first VW. It's a 2001 Jetta TDI with 255k km on it now. I finally had sometime and have been working on it ever so slowly. I just had my alternator replaced and its running fine. I'm now wondering if my car is on the slow side because I do not hear a turbo spool whenever I rev the engine up. I think I recall the turbo spooling up when I first purchased the car at 245k km, however, I don't really know if I have a power loss. From what I remember, these cars aren't that fast. If my car were in limp mode, I wouldn't be able to reach highway speeds, right?

If anyone has a VCDS in the area and could lend me a hand, I'd greatly appreciate it.

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
You would know if the car is in limp mode you have about 40hp and not really anything when you pin the throttle. Remember those Autopia cars at disneyland? Check that your vnt actuator is functioning correctly. Perhaps an intake cleaning?

ptmech

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Hi there - from Calgary and have a 2002 Gold TDI with 280k km. My father has a 2005. I've had my car since 2003.

Schwimmwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 GSW TDI bone stock waiting for warranty to expire...
Hey all,

I just moved to Calgary in September and purchased my first VW. It's a 2001 Jetta TDI with 255k km on it now. I finally had sometime and have been working on it ever so slowly. I just had my alternator replaced and its running fine. I'm now wondering if my car is on the slow side because I do not hear a turbo spool whenever I rev the engine up. I think I recall the turbo spooling up when I first purchased the car at 245k km, however, I don't really know if I have a power loss. From what I remember, these cars aren't that fast. If my car were in limp mode, I wouldn't be able to reach highway speeds, right?

If anyone has a VCDS in the area and could lend me a hand, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Your intake , EGR and injector nozzles are most likely clogged. Your MAF may also be toast. If you clean or remove EGR, clean intake, replace injectors with one size larger to start, and clean your snow screen, you will see how fast these cars can be when well maintained.

Check out How'to's in the 101 Section for all of the above. Your time and less than $500 can do wonders for your car.

Schmingie

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hey there Rene. I'm up north of Calgary. Have you had any issues with your car yet? Did you buy it new or used? Have you been tracking your mpg? Any mods yet?
I bought the Jetta new. I have had lots of issues. Mirror whistle, egr issues, turbo replacement, 2 headliners, 2 door seals, 2 window seals, 1 new window regulator, lots of rattles.

The only mods is a rear spoiler, tint, rims.

I dont track my mpg but average 900-950 km per tank - I am at 72,000 km in 1.5 years.

Derelicte

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Comfortline; 2014 Passat TDI 6-SPD highline w/sport
Hey fellow albertans, I am located in Edmonton, and a first time VW owner and have had it for about 8 months. It is a 2002 Golf TDI GLS 5-speed currently at 194K kms (bought it at 177K with the TB done at 118K). The car has been an absolute dream to drive and own. Has a little bit of pep while getting around 5L/100km.

Joined the club because I have been interested in performing my own maintenance and upgrades. I am continually amazed at the level of expertise on this site and I learn something new everyday.

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Welcome aboard Derelicte. Have to agree with you about the site and member expertise. Parts vender's are first class as well. Glen

GOTADUB

TDI
2002 golf
Hi im Blake live in calgary have a 2002 golf tdi have sprint 520 an 11mm pump and dc stage 2 clutch now i need a tune and a big turbo and bigger nozzles lol

nowback

Veteran Member
TDI
tdi's ranging 2000 golf to 2006 jetta 7 in total:)
Wetaskiwin alberta here:)
as for my car it changes as i fix them up and sell them:)
2005 passat wagon at the moment as well as next project 2001 jetta.
I have a garage full of tools and when i am not busy i will take on jobs
for others as well:)
matt

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
From Camrose and Edmonton....lived and worked in AB for over 25 years....
Now I spent the money in Chilliwack, BC
BC stands for Bring Cash
It's a good thing my TDI (23rd VW) needs hardly anything, just Maintenance and Diesel.

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
??
start an alberta thread. then move to BC ????
Lol. Not sure how I missed that ? But no I did not move I was quoting someone or at least I thought I was?
Went back and read everything, could not find it?
So I did not move am still in Vauxhall.
Any ways will be in Calgary in April. Dose anybody there have vag.com? As I had TB,WP and idlers changed about 5000k ago and would interested in somone scanning and doing adjustments as needed. Anyone?
Glen

Oh hey cfa5, says you have VCDS this is also a tool to scan and make adjustments with? right? Would you be interested in scanning my 02?

Last edited:

mnorton

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hi Matt. I also have a 2000 gls and am thinking about injectors and the 1.5 Malone tune. I would be interested in hearing the pros and cons from your experimenting.
-Ryan
I have lots of positive things to say about changing injectors and the Malone tune(s). I now have the Stage 3 tune installed and have almost finished the fine tuning with Mark (Malone). Before you consider changing the injectors or purchasing a tune I would strongly recommend that you have access to the Vag-Com Diagnostic Software (VCDS). You'll be stabbing in the dark otherwise.

I can provide some advice as to how best to do that if you wish.

Matt

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I've been away from the tdiclub forums for a while.

Troy from Edmonton.
01 Jetta TDI 5 speed. Vnt-17/22, 11mm IP, R520 injectors, RC4 tune, and some other supporting mods.

For anyone in the Edmonton area the Vw club meets every Thursday night at Brewsters for a drink and some food. I'm almost always there, a few tdi owners are regulars.

rutts

TDI
06 Jetta 1.9 TDI
Hey Guys. I'm in Calgary... Im having some sad days with my 06 Jetta tdi.
My transmission Has a hole in t and has puked gear oil all over my new clutch...
If any one knows a good place to get a new/used transmission and have it installed. Please let me know. I hate not having my Jetta

muz

TDI
2002 Golf GL TDI
Howdy all, new owner of a blue 2002 Golf here. Picked up and plated the little beast today after work, already learning all about diesels. This site is awesome!
Let me know if there are any upcoming GTGs, I'd like to find some other TDI owners to pick brains!
cheers
Muz

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just moved to Calgary, don't own a TDi anymore, thinking about getting back into it but VR6T looks like the next project.

Had a 2001 Lagoon Blue Jetta TDi that I parted out at ~450000km, family owned since new.

Did 80% of the work to the car myself. My tools are all being delivered at the end of this month, unfortunately no garage at the new place for now. Have VCDS as well.

Just a small list of mods to my car;

Malone Custom Tune
GT2056v turbo with tubular manifold
Eurojet FMIC
Street Toys short runner intake manifold
Custom 3" turbo intake pipe
.:R32 air box, maf housing, snorkel
PD in tank lift pump
R520 injectors
11mm pump
3" turbo back exhaust with only a high flow cat
GLI brake upgrade front and rear
6 speed DRW swap
Climatronic swap - fully working
Full fis cluster swap
.:R32 interior swap complete including dash swap
.:R32 front end swap
08/09 shaved City Jetta rear end swap

That's just the larger items I accomplished off the top of my head right now.

If anyone knows any good info on Calgary like places to go for parts, work or body shops that'd be great!

I have been to concept1 for a tour already. Most likely going there a lot.

Thanks!

Rob001

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2006 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
Hello all! I'm just west of Lethbridge (though I grew up in Med Hat and know the Vauxhall area well - dated a few girld from there back in the day!)

I currently own a 2001 Jetta TDI - it's at just shy of 500,000kms and now has a blown turbo. The kids will play with it and see if they can get it back on the road.

I also own a 2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd I bought last Sept with 150,000km on it - it now has 200,000km on it, and the clutch just went - will be replacing that and moving to the Single mass Flywheel this next week. (Just waiting for parts.)

And just recently picked up a 2006 jetta TDI with the 6spd Auto - my wife drives it. 150,000km on it. It's the "Titleist Editioin" - last year we had a wicked hailstorm (size of tennis balls) - so it's probably getting a little better mileage now with the "dimples".

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Just moved to Calgary from Pennsylvania. I'm Canadian but spent the last three years working in the US. Prior to that I lived in Ontario and before that, BC. Hopefully I can call Alberta home for a good long while. I've had enough moving around. This time I brought my fiancé with me, so it should last.

Question for all of you Calgarians: where's the best place to take my Jetta for service in Calgary?

Hope to meet some of you soon.

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
Figured I would come in here and answer some questions for the new guys in town.

For parts concept1 is ok, but for most its a little on the pricey side and they tend to be more air cooled specific. If you are looking for parts at a great price there is another euro forum called eurodrivers, look up a user natty54. He is in the parts section on their and gets what Precision in Toronto could get parts and price wise.

Shops around town, a popular one is tunedub, but with his popularity comes a wait time as he is only human and can do so much. There are threads in this forum from years ago on shops, many of the opinions said still hold true today.

If you are looking for a more local connection go to the eurodrivers forum, many of the tdi guys that have been on here for yaers frequent there a lot more then they do here.

Welcome to those new to Alberta, I spent the first 20 yaers on my life in Toronto and of course learned to drive on the 401. I have been out here for almost 11 years now and only go back to visit the parents so they can see the grand kids. I know what it is like to move out with no tools, no place to work on the car, and no knowledge of local parts or shops. The euro scene is smaller out here, but that is partially due to people not having as much free time.

Like I mentioned before go to Eurodrivers for GTG's (gas diesel mix) and or help with tools, jobs, ect. My user name is the same both forums, although I don't check back here often.

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Just moved to Calgary from Pennsylvania. I'm Canadian but spent the last three years working in the US. Prior to that I lived in Ontario and before that, BC. Hopefully I can call Alberta home for a good long while. I've had enough moving around. This time I brought my fiancé with me, so it should last.

Question for all of you Calgarians: where's the best place to take my Jetta for service in Calgary?

Hope to meet some of you soon.
My faves are Tonys Auto Service for engine/mechanical (no alignment/wheel/tire work though) and Continental Autobody for top notch body work.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
As Ben said above..Eurodrivers is a great club and forum, I'm always up for lending a hand, and in some cases, I have access to a shop. My user name is the same over at Eurodrivers.

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Hi all, glad to see so many Albertan's on the forum!

I don't suppose any of you near Calgary have the timing belt tools and crank sprocket counter hold for a BEW?
My front crank seal is leaking pretty bad and the thought of paying a shop to replace it give me chills :).

caseyadams

TDI
2002 Golf
I'm new to the forum, and loving it! I'm in Calgary, and I've got my trusty 2002 Golf TDI.
260k and counting

Last edited:

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Good luck with your 02. lots of kms left on that one, as long it has not been neglected. Happy cruzing. Glen