the 505.01 saga continues

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
so i go to linden vw to change the oil. the guy takes my car into the bay and drains the oil. so far so good. then the car comes down and he walks away to get some oil. i figure i will keep quiet just to see what he puts in. he comes back w/ some regular castrol synthetic. so after i made a big stink, i convinced him to go ask the service manager. mechanic comes back w/ 3 quarts of 505.01. after waiting for almost 2 hours, they come back w/ 2 more quarts and finish the oil change. obviously dealers still have no clue. better yet, the techs have no clue. because when they ask the manger, the right oil comes out. moral of story: go to the parts dept. buy the oil and tell the service you brought your own oil. unless you have the opportunity to look over and see what the tech is doing, you are probably getting the wrong oil. i hope someone's PD engine blows up due to wrong oil. then maybe VW will do something about this BS!!!!

TDI_04_Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
Golt TDI, 2004, silver
It’s incredible how VW wants you to get “proper” service to NOT Void your Warranty. And there are VW dealerships that don’t have a clue about a simple task of changing the oil with the right specified oil that is very critical with TDI-PD. I truly wonder how long it would take for the TDI-PD engine to fail if ran on VW505.00 oil for 10K, 20K miles or will it fail after the warranty runs out, which means your screwed!

BeefGG

TDI
Golf, 2004, 5Manuel, Antracite Blue,
I just had my first oil change done on my car. I didn't want to change the oil in the parking lot of my apartment so I took it to the dealer. I was really nervous about them using the right oil. When I walked in I noticed they had their pricing for standard services on the wall. They had a price for an oil change and another price for ">2004 TDI's" I felt much better after seeing that. I checked the bill they gave me at the end and it had the correct part number for 505.01 oil. I'm sorry for those that are having trouble , but it looks like some are catching on.

lafours1138

TDI
GLS TDI, 2004, Black
I'm coming up on 5000 miles soon and I called the dealer and asked for a quote on an oil change.

$69.99!

Suffice it to say, I'll be changing my own oil....just need to get that Pela.

BeefGG

TDI
Golf, 2004, 5Manuel, Antracite Blue,
BeffGG,

May I ask how much you paid for your oil change?

Ted Strong
$51 total
from Royal VW of Bloomington, Indiana.

Diesel_rally

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Platinum Gray
In NJ I paid almost $80.00 bucks. I wish it was cheaper but at least I know they are using the correct oil.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
I didn't want to change the oil in the parking lot of my apartment...
I use a Tempo Oil Boy (similar to Pela) and since the oil filter is accessed from above the engine (instead of below) - we can just pop the hood to change the oil in our TDIs.

It's so easy, fast and clean. If the oil is warm the oil boy sucks the oil out in just a couple minutes and the whole operation can be done without spilling even a drop of oil or getting any on your hands.

I actually look forward to oil changes.

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
It's so easy, fast and clean. If the oil is warm the oil boy sucks the oil out in just a couple minutes and the whole operation can be done without spilling even a drop of oil or getting any on your hands.I actually look forward to oil changes.
I couldn't agree more. I'm used to getting out Ramps,crawler
drip pan. Getting under, reaching up for the filter, used oil all over the place.

Oil vac's and top side oil filter changes can be done in a parking lot in a suit and tie
Without 1 drop of oil spilled

The West Marine oil vac is on sale for $20.00(not sure how much longer)

ArnieJ

TDI
04 Indigo Blue PD Golf
I didn't want to change the oil in the parking lot of my apartment...
I use a Tempo Oil Boy (similar to Pela) and since the oil filter is accessed from above the engine (instead of below) - we can just pop the hood to change the oil in our TDIs.

It's so easy, fast and clean. If the oil is warm the oil boy sucks the oil out in just a couple minutes and the whole operation can be done without spilling even a drop of oil or getting any on your hands.

I actually look forward to oil changes.
Boy, I second this. Just did my first oil change using the Pela and it was a breeze. So easy in fact that my wife came out and wanted to do it. Change the oil that is

elitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GL Wheat Beige
I must have a pretty good dealer. Not long after I bought my car, I went to the dealer and asked for a quart (Liter) of oil for my car. The parts guy said, oh, the 04 takes 505.01, and handed me the right stuff without me having to explain
Plus, when I bought the car, they told me the first 4 oil changes and first year service is FREE, plus you get a free car wash every time you take it in for service. (The car wash is pretty lousy tho, still have bug-guts on the windshield and bumper) Too bad there aren't more dealers like this one. They even offered to host a GTG when someone asked them about one.
For those who want to know, it is Hatfields VW in Columbus, OH. It takes a good experience before I'd ever recommend a dealer, but SO FAR (key words) this dealer has exceeded my expectations.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
I noticed the correct part and I spoke to the manager and he advised me they didnt use bulk and they used the correct oil. However, I still like going to my local guy, who orders what I need, I can see it, and we can talk about football with far better service.....Be careful, i can write down the correct part# to, and still give wrong oil.

PolarBear

TDI
Golf GLS 2004
I am still debating about using oil extraction. Seems like a good way to change the oil, but I guess I should still go under the car regularly to spot any leaks etc. Bought my Golf in August and I'm at 4000km now, might change it before the recommended 8000km and before winter sets in and wouldn't hurt, since the car probably sat around for a while before I bought it. Also thinking of purging the fuel filter before winter.

AudiLikeA4

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Golf GL Anthracite Blue Manual
Got my 1st oil change done at VW in shrewsbury NJ. Made sure they knew of the 505.01 requirement and asked that they leave the oil bottles in my car for me. Total cost was $31.75, they used some coupon...pretty cool if you ask me. I ordered a pela extractor and am doing the oil change's myself from now on as I don't like having to wait at the dealer.

donsdiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Silver
PolarBear, I am certain that the first time you drop the shield under the engine it will be the last time. When you see the number of sheet metal screws that must be removed and the cheap metal clip they screw into you will be surprised and annoyed as I was.

Get an extractor and be through with it. Don

TDI_04_Driver

Veteran Member
TDI
Golt TDI, 2004, silver
Total cost was $31.75, they used some coupon...pretty cool if you ask me.
My dealer uses Motul 505.01 Oil has offered me 8 oil/filter changes for $457.72CAN, which I pay the whole amount up front when the first oil change is required if I want the deal.

cp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Beetle
What happens if that dealership changes ownership?

dab

TDI
GLS Golf 2004 reflex silver
Had my first oil change done on the 1st. They let me watch , as this is my first VW, didn't want to mess somathing up doing it myself later. I didn't say anything to the manager or tech about what I know about the problems. And every thing went fine. I did have to schedule another time to get refashed for the cold or wet start problem ,that I didn't have. They also didn't say any thing about the mods that I had done. I want to change my on oil and the only place to get the oil is there. I asked how much a litre was and they said,$11.00 whow pricy. All and all very happy with sevice from Don Mullery VW in Dixon ILL. I'd just soon drian the oil to look under the car for any problems.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>I want to change my on oil and the only place to get the oil is there. I asked how much a litre was and they said,$11.00 <<

Overpriced, and as for the first part, WRONG !!

People have been reporting that prices at dealers have recently dropped to a bit over half that amount !! In addition, you can buy Motul or Elf oil online...

Looks like there's a mortgage payment coming up for your dealer...

PolarBear

TDI
Golf GLS 2004
Thanks Don, I appreciate it. Guess I'll be getting myself an oil extractor, found a place that sells one in my area.

Gti5notrkt

How does a pela ensure that all the sludge and crap in the bottom of the pan gets removed? Doing a conventional oil change where the flow of the oil out of the pan removes the 'sediment' seems to be the only way to me, my 0.02c.

I have changed my own oil and it is only 10 torx screws to take off the belly pan. Sure you can't do it in 'in a shirt and tie in the parking lot' but it sure beats second guessing how much old crap is still in the engine. Removing this sediment is the primary reason for the oil change in the first place, why only do a half a$$ job and waste 5qts/oil filter in the process?

Vacuum oil changers =

Jon.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Warming the engine up first makes the oil thinner and particles float whether draining or vaccuming. I've never used a pela, but it sure looks like a cleaner job than trying to crawl on the ground between the 4.5" distance separating the vehicle and ground.

Ian_W

TDI
Jetta, 2005, Blue
Do you mind me asking...

For the folks that crawl under the car to change the oil out, are you guys putting the car up on a jack, or driving the car up on stands, or...?

Ian.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I doubt that, what with using synthetic oil to start with, and the oil flowing continuously thru the oil filter, that there is much "sludge" in the bottom of the oil pan anyway. There will be a little bit of some heavy stuff that over time just sits in there, but it will also be too heavy to wash out with the oil when you pull the drain plug, and too heavy to get sucked back into the inlet of your oil pump anyway. My vote is: use the extractor from above and be happy. Every 50K miles, pull the belly pan and check for tranny leaks. You can check the outer CV joints easily at every tire rotation: the inner ones seldom fail. What else is there under there that will give visible signs of failure?

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
Last night I did an oul extraction via Pela on my 2004 Passat TDI wagon. I was careful to get the suction tube all the way down, and pumped the vacuum an extra time after it sucked air. I also had the belly pan off at the same time b/c I was installing a CCV filter, so after the Pela was done, I pulled the drain plug to see if it had left any oil behind. Maybe ONE tablespoonfull of oil dripped out: that Pela is GOOD!! I will be happy doing my future oil changes from above!