The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
fyi your dhl is 2.66 final drive 5th. Try to get a dqs-2.15 final drive in 6th if your insistent on a 6sp. Frans has them from time to time for arround $2500. I got a european tdi fhn 5 sp-2.36 from him. Sweet ride YA GOT THERE!
If you go that high you will really need to watch the EGT's, I have taken things about high as they can be taken by installing larger diameter tires on a 1Z Passats. EGT's climb through the roof pretty quick under heavy loads at speed with gearing that tall.

Monitoring oil temps along with the adding of extra oil cooling is also a good idea if you are going install taller gearing.

Something else I have found that helps with EGT spikes is the adding of a water jet in front of the inter-cooler. A windshield washer bottle and motor works very well for this, junk yards are full of options that will work. Regular water in summer and washer fluid during colder months.......

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Bigger turbo does the job too ;)

I have a line on a trans already, not sure what ratios they are(they are tdi ratios) but I don't like tractoring around anyway.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The 1Z(sure looks like one) really responds well to stage 2 and PP520s with a stock turbo. I ran a .622 fifth in mine and it had a big drop in 5th. With the extra gear, not a problem- a DQS should do you fine and no tractor! I would check the code on the one you have lined up at any rate. Some 6 sp have a short 6th ratio and you don't want that for your expensive tranny. I believe only 6sp gassers were imported that will fit your B5, so make sure you are indeed getting a European TDI 6 sp. I've gathered some extensive gearing charts so you can PM me the code. I love your car!

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
This is an AHH, which is best thought of as an AHU with an ALH turbo, 11 mm pump, and I believe the same injectors as an automatic ALH, too.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
This is an AHH, which is best thought of as an AHU with an ALH turbo, 11 mm pump, and I believe the same injectors as an automatic ALH, too.
Yes the injectors are the same as an automatic ALH. I had a set of AHH injectors.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Calculated RPM and torque

234whp, 373ft-lbs

Wasn't even hitting target boost, should be able to make 400ft-lbs :D
Almost smoke free

AHH with stock 11mm IP
PD Lift pump
Rosten H-beam rods
ASZ 18.5:1 PD pistons
R520 nozzles set to 230/340 bar
Stage 2 Colt cam
Ported head
GTB2056VL on a ported 1.6 TD manifold with adapter plate
2.5" exhaust, 2 resonators
SBC Stage 2 endurance clutch
Upgraded head bolts and main bolts
EVOMS FMIC
Custom boost piping
Custom intake.
4bar map

That should be everything.

Last edited:

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
Nice figures.....I bet it runs real nice on the road......

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Removal of the TDI and installing a VRT? :)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
no way, keeping the TDI! A VR5T would be fun ;)

I'm doing an EDC15 swap. Its a 2003 golf harness. I don't have a 2003 ECU but I'm hoping to find one. I have a 2001 ECU, so we'll see if does the job - 1 pin for the glow plugs is different and its a completely different glow plug system, luckily I don't really need them in this weather!

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I was able to convert my ECU from a 012BD to 012FD :D

Now only one code to remove - MAF, no longer present. No other codes!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Man your harness must have been a lot cleaner than mine. No way I could have done my wiring on my living room floor. Nice work on the swap.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Couple cans of brake cleaner did a good job cleaning it!

Brake cleaner kills the adhesive in the friction tape, removed all that, then cleaned all the remaining goo off it with more brake cleaner.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
damn, couple key cycles and I got an eeprom error :(

Finally a smoke limiter! Its 98% smoke free, quick mods and it should be 99.5%

I overlaid the last log I took on my old ecu and its just as quick, spools a hair later but that can be fixed with the smoke limiter mods since there is no smoke at all on spool up.

I'll have to see what happens when I go back to BD software, move the glow plug monitoring pin over to the proper location, hopefully its ok with the 2003 relay.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Harness is 99% complete, just a couple more sensors to add to it for my DAQ and get more friction tape.

For the DAQ I have:
Boost
IAT
EMP
EGT
OIL P
WBO2
RPM