thanks so much! & goodbye

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
yesterday i sold our 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon to a really wonderful couple here in Roanoke, VA.

we've owned TDIs since 2004 and i've super enjoyed reading and trying to contribute to these forums. even though i've not met many of you, the sense of community, support and friendship that the TDIclub members create has been a super positive part of my TDI ownership.

i'd have trouble quantifying all that i've learned by reading and asking questions on TDIclub. to all the superhero mechanics that answer questions here and help and help and help and help - your efforts are incredibly appreciated. i've also been helped lots of times by normal guys like me who had experienced some issue before me or read about something - and then took the time to share, and make my life easier, and often save me a lot of money.

if you drive a significant number of miles a year, and you enjoy maintaining / caring for your car yourself, then in my humble opinion there's no better vehicle than a TDI - and among them the B5.5 is truly outstanding.

our family has switched to using bicycles for the vast majority of our transportation needs. my wife has a car that she's using less with each passing week, and ... on the rare occasion that conditions require me to drive, i do have a backup vehicle that's a lot like the '05 Passat Wagon we sold ... just 20 years older ;)

1985 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel

so again, THANK YOU! good luck with and enjoy your TDIs, and if you're driving along in your TDI and a guy pulls up along side you on a bicycle or in an old MB Wagon, smiles and gives you a thumbs up, that's probably me :D

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Good luck, thanks for your contributions. I somewhat envy your ability to nearly totally switch to bicycles- does that mean no more vacations with the RV?

Last edited:

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
Good luck, thanks for your contributions. I somewhat envy your ability to nearly totally switch to bicycles- does that mean no more vacations with the RV?
bicycling for transportation is a lot of fun for the whole family, our fitness and overall health is better too, and pedaling instead of driving saves lots of $$.

by RV do you mean wagon? our family vacations since 2009 have been in the Passat with tents for car, bike or canoe camping or backpacking.

my hope is that i can get the AC working well in the MB so it's a family vacation option, but if not, we'll just roll down the windows or rent a car. 4 people & a big dog in a wagon on a hot & rainy summer day with no AC isn't very fun though - but i do think we'll get the AC working :)

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Aww, we'll miss you! Take care and enjoy the biking - great way to get around :)
-BB

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
As stated above, thanks for all your contributions.

my hope is that i can get the AC working well in the MB so it's a family vacation option, but if not, we'll just roll down the windows or rent a car. 4 people & a big dog in a wagon on a hot & rainy summer day with no AC isn't very fun though - but i do think we'll get the AC working :)

As you probably know, your '85 w123 has a more complicated system then earlier models with the additional electrics controlling it. Get that squared away if it's a problem. I highly recommend cleaning out the evaporator of 26 years of air flow clogging dirt and grime. A clean evaporator does wonders with air flow velocity coming out of the vents. And finally do not use R134a unless you go with a custom system with a parallel flow condenser, bigger dryer and a compressor that is not the R4. Use of R12 refrigerant is the best way to go with a stock system.

You should have a good working system after that.:cool:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
bicycling for transportation is a lot of fun for the whole family, our fitness and overall health is better too, and pedaling instead of driving saves lots of $$.

by RV do you mean wagon? our family vacations since 2009 have been in the Passat with tents for car, bike or canoe camping or backpacking.

Sorry SUNRG- thought you were towing a pop-up trailer with that passat. Anyway- good on you!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
HFC 134a will never cool well without heavy modification $$$$ and even then it will not come close to what CFC-12 can do. A cheaper alternative that doesn't require modification is a HC blend, HC-12a or HC 22a. The hydrocarbon blend ( Redtek or similar ) is a drop in replacement, no seal or oil change required.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Rob-
Thanks for your contributions here and good attitude. Just because you no longer have a tdi doesn't mean you can't hang out with us you know (I no longer have a tdi either- my daughters do, tho)