TF03 Rally Results

fincoop

Veteran Member
Scoring:

600 points (60%) time-based. 1 point lost for every 2 seconds off the mark of 93 minutes, 45 seconds.

200 points (20%) clue-based. 50 points per clue, 4 clues.

200 points (20%) distance-based. 1 point subtracted for every 100 metres off the mark, first 300 metres free.

fincoop

Veteran Member
We have to tip our hat to Will Be Chef or just Chef, for a truly excellent run. +0:02:01 is very respectable considering the labour day weekend traffic, and the mileage penalty was only due to their vehicle's oversized 205/65R15 tires. The next closest competitor was over +0:05:00.

Well done!!

NB

VikF ran the route equivalent 3 times in 93 minutes /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
/images/graemlins/grin.gif thats only b/c i had slow pokes in front of me..or else i could have been quicker /images/graemlins/wink.gif

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
this course was boring - - - zzzzzzz

well at least my daughter thought so /images/graemlins/wink.gif

16th is pretty good considering my navigator was constantly being distracted by a kid in the backseat firing questions machine gun style for the 1st half of the course - and the fact that either I was never told or it wasn't announced what the target time was . . . .

how about next year who ever does the drive thing making kinda Amazing race style - make the drivers/navigators get out and pick up something at checkpoints (flags brocures something)?

great time! good course!

mainframe

Veteran Member
TDI
2 Door, Automatic, Flash Red, Golf 99.5
We came in 13th ... But whatever!

I like GeWillys idea about picking up stuff at certain points in the rally, I also like the idea of knowing the target time and distance beforehand!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I think those with KM speedos had an advantage over those of us reading miles /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Regardless, it was great fun even with my foreign navigator /images/graemlins/smile.gif

L

fincoop

Veteran Member
If we give you the target time, it's not much of a contest. Drive as fast as you want and wait in a parking lot for the balance.

We were toying with the idea of having a get out and get it rally but the length of the route, coupled to a bit of a time constraint, coupled to the short gap between contestants, pretty much made the decision for us. We would have needed several different routes to afford time to stop and find clues. Trust me, it's a lot of work just to make one route /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Besides, we had to leave something to make next year's rally interesting /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001
[ QUOTE ]
Vik F said:
drop frog did win the Raspberry for " MOST KMS & TIME"

[/ QUOTE ]

'0' on everything.. reminds me of High School.. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laugh it up punchy! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
[ QUOTE ]
Regardless, it was great fun even with my foreign navigator /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think LEFT and RIGHT was understandable /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
I think it was a bit wrong to say that people should drive by the posted speed limits. We always drove 10-20 km/h over, and we came in late.
Reason: I guess heavy traffic at some intersections.

dubdrew

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
wow we came 3rd! awsome i really enjoyed the rally! it was a cool event kudos to the organisers, makes me want to start real rally driving!lol /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif those roads were great i liked the tight curves and the hills! /images/graemlins/grin.gif can't wait to do another rally!

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
[ QUOTE ]
mainframe said:
We came in 13th ... But whatever!

[/ QUOTE ]

As I was sniffing your french fries for more than 1/2 the route and Lito was inhaling mine, I shoulda listened to my expert navigator when he told to "pass that guy"! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10+ minutes over /images/graemlins/blush.gif yoiks!

Great event /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
PTC said:
I think it was a bit wrong to say that people should drive by the posted speed limits. We always drove 10-20 km/h over, and we came in late.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, if anyone were to be pulled over (and there WERE cops along the route!), and the officials found evidence of the mere suggestion of violating any sort of speed limit or of arriving at a destination in a prescribed time that requires violating speed limits, that would give them grounds for charging every participant with "participating in a speed contest" which is a BIG no-no under the Highway Traffic Act ... I was concerned enough with this possibility even the way it was. We have to (officially) operate within the Highway Traffic Act, and hence the lack of an official target time in advance and the emphasis on posted limits (and I agree, everyone in Ontario ignores them except when the police are visible).

For the record, my run through the course in advance of everyone else was about 8 minutes under the target time, and we had previously done it in 14 minutes under, but those are with Ontario driver's normal ignorance of posted limits ...

As it was, everyone behaved well enough that we didn't get in trouble. Perhaps some things might be different next time but that's for the organizers of next year's event to decide!

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Great fun! I still can't figure out how that Sprinter got around some of those hairpins /images/graemlins/eek.gif The views of the "Centre-of-the-universe" from up on the escarpment were spectacular, what a great day for it. One other idea for extra points is a driving skills challenge like they ran at the NB meet in Roswell two years ago where drivers had to pull up to traffic cones and back up to cones without hitting them, closest wins. Also, getting a rear tire to roll over preset spots on the pavement for points, more spots, more points. I must also add in defence of my course running time, I/we started later than our scheduled start time due to a delay in getting BD at the hotel /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I know, sour grapes. The things I do for BD! It was a great way to spend the day and we got a chance to go over to the Welland and watch a handful of boats lock thru too. Talk about diesel power! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif Thanks guys!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
[ QUOTE ]
I think LEFT and RIGHT was understandable

[/ QUOTE ]

"You think so?" "Are you SURE?"

fincoop

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
dubdrew said:
those roads were great i liked the tight curves and the hills! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, those inclines make you appreciate a torque-oriented-and-then-forced-induction-based-drivetrain.

fincoop

Veteran Member
Would have been cool, for sure!

It was not practical to do that on this type of rally. Open roads, and too long. However, we could have a Solo II Slow contest, where we test driver skill without slinging your precious ride around traffic cones. There's an idea to consider, could even do it while the show'n'shine is happening, right in the hotel parking lot.

knobby12

[ QUOTE ]

those roads were great i liked the tight curves and the hills!

[/ QUOTE ]
I may have missed it, but is there a pointer to the course that was used? Always looking for nice drives.

knobby12

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
remind me b4 a gtg and i'll bring u a copy of the rally package....u can run it on your leisure....if u see a silver mkiv pulling up fast, move over, its me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mainframe

Veteran Member
TDI
2 Door, Automatic, Flash Red, Golf 99.5
[ QUOTE ]
As I was sniffing your french fries for more than 1/2 the route ... I shoulda listened to my expert navigator when he told to "pass that guy"!

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you the silver Jetta/Golf with the black bra? Pretty sure I was driving faster than you, but whatever /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif I was pretty surprised by the 10 minutes since I was going 10km over the limit for 75% of the route.

Regardless it was a great course, I would love to do more rally driving like that, it was definetly a blast !!

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
[ QUOTE ]
mainframe said:
Were you the silver Jetta/Golf with the black bra /images/graemlins/shocked.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey!!! No sexist comment please!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif