Texans need to do this after buyback

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Fellow Texas Residents,

If the TDI your are selling back to VW is registered in Texas, you need to fill out a "Vehicle Transfer Notification" ideally right after you complete the buyback process but no later than 30 days after. Details, including the form, can be found here:

https://etag.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/MainTransferNotification.aspx

If you don't do this, you "may be subject to criminal or civil liability for parking tickets, toll violations, fines or other penalties that occur after the date of sale."

It doesn't matter if you took your plates with you (which you should do anyway) because they can trace you down by the VIN.

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
Fellow Texas Residents,
If the TDI your are selling back to VW is registered in Texas, you need to fill out a "Vehicle Transfer Notification" ideally right after you complete the buyback process but no later than 30 days after. Details, including the form, can be found here:
If you don't do this, you "may be subject to criminal or civil liability for parking tickets, toll violations, fines or other penalties that occur after the date of sale."
It doesn't matter if you took your plates with you (which you should do anyway) because they can trace you down by the VIN.
Thanks for the reminder Salsaman. Also, let us know how that tax refund works for you. I'm still at #15 so long way to be at that step.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Tax refund?
Yes there is a possibility of a sales tax refund. But only under certain circumstances. It's not clear if this buyback meets any of the criteria. The other thing too is that, if I read the stipulations correctly, you have to have gotten the refund within 4 years of the original purchase date. I purchased mine in December 4 years ago. My buyback date is the 21st. I think I purchased mine in the early part of December 4 years ago so I may be out of luck. Have to go hunt down the original purchase order. I'm still going to try tho.

ls4977

TDI
2011 Jetta
Fellow Texas Residents,

Thanks... I will do that if I ever get an offer...10/27 and waiting.....

uncle fishhead

TDI
2012 Golf
I doubt they'll be hot-rodding my old car out on the Tollway. And we do have the receipt for the sale that would prove that we had sold the car.

But it's still a good idea and I just registered the sale transaction. Didn't bother with finding an address for VW of America....but TxDOT should get the point.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Yes there is a possibility of a sales tax refund. But only under certain circumstances. It's not clear if this buyback meets any of the criteria. The other thing too is that, if I read the stipulations correctly, you have to have gotten the refund within 4 years of the original purchase date.
Where can we get more details on this?

DFWJason33

TDI
'15 Jetta TDI, '17 Tiguan
My turn-in is at 6pm tonight so I'll let you guys know if I'm due a tax refund asap. (purchased last year in Tarrant county, they answer questions/requests pretty quickly).

ram_g

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
You have to assign the sales tax refund, if any, to VW. This is stated on the power of attorney form that you have to sign at your closing.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
You have to assign the sales tax refund, if any, to VW. This is stated on the power of attorney form that you have to sign at your closing.
Not exactly. The title POA allows them to act on your behalf to recover sales tax on your behalf, but doesn't preclude you from doing it yourself, and certainly doesn't require you to assign it to them.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Where can we get more details on this?
Here is the website to the Texas Comptroller's webpage on Motor Vehicle sales tax refunds. I lost out since the time limit ran out for me by a few weeks (dammit).

There are only certain conditions under which you can get a refund. The option "M" for Lemon Law on the form would be the one in our case. It's not clear that we can even do this. Even a call to the state comptroller's office - specifically the motor vehicle tax refund office in Austin - could not tell me whether we could get a refund or not. They said they have never encountered this large scale buyback before. They said to file the paperwork and see what happens - of course it still has to be within the 4 year limit of original purchase.

https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/motor-vehicle/refunds.php

Last edited:

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Did anyone had to sign on the tablet the claims person had. I had only the actual paper work that I signed.
I took mine back to Ancira VW on Bandera Rd. No signing the tablet. I printed out the documents like the claims website instructed and brought them with me. I filled those out, took a picture of them, and handed them over to the claims administrator on site.

kjohnson129

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
Here is the website to the Texas Controller's webpage on Motor Vehicle sales tax refunds. I lost out since the time limit ran out for me by a few weeks (dammit).

There are only certain conditions under which you can get a refund. The option "M" for Lemon Law on the form would be the one in our case. It's not clear that we can even do this. Even a call to the state comptroller's office - specifically the motor vehicle tax refund office in Austin - could not tell me whether we could get a refund or not. They said they have never encountered this large scale buyback before. They said to file the paperwork and see what happens - of course it still has to be within the 4 year limit of original purchase.

https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/motor-vehicle/refunds.php
I bought mine in June of 15 so I'll give it a shot whenever VW finally gets this thing off my hands. I'll let y'all know in a couple months.

Did you look at different dealers to find the earliest appointment? I bought mine from Alamo Heights, but I'm willing to drive it anywhere in Austin/SA to get the earliest date I can.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
....Did you look at different dealers to find the earliest appointment? I bought mine from Alamo Heights, but I'm willing to drive it anywhere in Austin/SA to get the earliest date I can.
I did but only in San Antonio because I didn't have a way back home if I went to Austin. I bought mine from North Park but turned it in to Ancira. Ancira had the earliest date available between the 3 dealers. Fortunately it was also the closest to my house. There were 2 claims administrators there - one of them told me they had two because the were the largest volume dealer in So Texas. The process with Ancira was extraordinarily quick and easy. Their administrators knew exactly what they were doing. Had my money in my account in less than 48 hours from turning in the vehicle.

Last edited:

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Turned my car in on Jan 4th but I did not take license plate with me. I tried but the VW guy would not give them to me. I did take them off of my car though.

How would I go about now getting that license plate number? I have no idea what it is?

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Look at your old registration, check your insurance paper work, call the DMV, check any old pictures you have of the car.
Thanks! I didn't find it on those things but while looking I found it on an old firestone receipt. I appreciate it.

Tinman265

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen Sunroof/Nav Platnium Grey Metallic, Titan Black Interior, 6 speed manual. Took the buyback 1-6-17 - Loan payoff 1-17-17
VW corporate will not try and get any sales tax back that may be due to you. And do not the dealer to help you either. Going though the same thug here in Illinois and have to request a ruling from the Illinois department of revenue on the matter which I will start another thread on.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned my car in on Jan 4th but I did not take license plate with me. I tried but the VW guy would not give them to me. I did take them off of my car though......
Well, OP, its too late for you to get your tags. But you need to go to that website and notify the state the car is no longer yours. ASAP.

To all other Texans: do NOT let the dealer keep your tags. THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT TO DO SO. My advice would be to remove the tags before you arrive at the dealer, place the tags in the front and rear windshields, then drive to the dealer and remove them into your possession the minute you get out of the car on the dealers lot. If the dealer for some reason needs to drive the car on the public roads after you turn the car in, they can do that using Texas "Dealer" tags. Thats what they are for.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Any time you sell a car in Texas you should either go online and fill out the transfer form or print it and mail it with a copy for yourself. Tolls in particular now days can eat your lunch and make you pull your hair out trying to get everything fixed. Pull your toll tag off the window too. I always keep my tags just because there are so many "evil doers" that buy cheap cars with tags and current inspection so they can drive without registering or insurance.

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
Is there any way for us to be reimbursed for the remainder of our vehicle registration period after the car is gone?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
Is there any way for us to be reimbursed for the remainder of our vehicle registration period after the car is gone?
I don't if you can get an outright refund or not but you can transfer your tags to a replacement vehicle. By transferring the tags you get to use the remaining portion on the replacement vehicle that you transferred the tags to.