Texaco Rust Proof Compound L

weekender

TDI
2003 TDI jetta
Does anyone know where you can buy this stuff. It's just a spray on rust poofer. This is what it is- The Type L Texaco rustproofing compound is essentially wool grease (whatever that is) with 1 to 3% stearic acid. I imagine the acid is to provide a mild etch of the substrate for better adhesion (kind of like a "flux"). There are other formulations of this compound such as for painted surfaces, but I use Type L, formulated for undercarriage.
I would like to try it but can't seem to find who sells it. Any ideas?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
wool grease
n.
A fatty, pale yellow wax that coats the fibers of sheep's wool and yields lanolin. Also called wool fat.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I wondered if the "L" was related to Lanolin.

Bill

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I'm using fluid film for the first winter. Similar lanolin formula. Satisfied so far. Sorry can't help you with Texaco product.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
All I can suggest is to be very careful that any spay one stuff you use does not block any drains. Modern cars are well rust proofed at the factory and spraying stuff on can defeat the factory stuff and cause the problem you are trying to avoid.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
weekender said:
Does anyone know where you can buy this stuff. It's just a spray on rust poofer. This is what it is- The Type L Texaco rustproofing compound is essentially wool grease (whatever that is) with 1 to 3% stearic acid. I imagine the acid is to provide a mild etch of the substrate for better adhesion (kind of like a "flux"). There are other formulations of this compound such as for painted surfaces, but I use Type L, formulated for undercarriage.
I would like to try it but can't seem to find who sells it. Any ideas?
Check your yellow pages for a Texaco Consignee. I guess there are some still in business? If that doesn't work for you, go to the Chevron/Texaco web site and ask. The product was originally developed for railway applications. Back in the late '50s or early 60's a Sales Engineer in New Orleans tested it at a sulphur processing facility down river and found it to be outstanding. It is/was best applied with an airless sprayer but I suppose it could be brushed on.

Joe is correct. As good as it is, I kinda doubt that you really need it. If you are concerned about doors, Griot's Garage has an excellent wax based product available in spray cans.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
1 gallon is plenty. But you can't brush it on, I have a compressor and bought a sprayer to apply it. I wouldn't try to do an entire car with the aerosol ones.

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 tdi, 2006 Jetta DSG, 2003 ALH Wagon
Sounds like LPS-3

This product that you are looking for sounds like LPS-3, a oil like spray that drys to a wax like consitency. This can be purchased at some auto parts stores, Graingers, McMaster-Carr(I think), etc.
Considered to be a material that will protect a bare metal for a year or so outside, if I remember correctly.
Look it up on the web, it should be there with a complete data sheet.

87homebuilttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 tdi, 2006 Jetta DSG, 2003 ALH Wagon
One more thought.....

Be careful to test LPS-3 on existing surfaces, to be sure it does not soften or remove what is already there. If sprayed on the old undercoatings that I remember, it might be a problem...

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
87homebuilttdi said:
This product that you are looking for sounds like LPS-3, a oil like spray that drys to a wax like consitency. This can be purchased at some auto parts stores, Graingers, McMaster-Carr(I think), etc.
Considered to be a material that will protect a bare metal for a year or so outside, if I remember correctly.
Look it up on the web, it should be there with a complete data sheet.
What you describe sounds like the Griot's branded product. The Texaco Rustproof Compound "L" is of medium consistency and forms a semi-hard (my description) surface after application. One beauty of the product is that though after several hours it doesn't drip and isn't very tacky, though it will migrate to fill in scratches. On the other hand, modern coatings and materials (steels and other metals) render it more or less unnecessary.