Tesla S: A Most Peculiar Test Drive

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
So the Model S can go almost double its indicated mileage when the batteries are almost depleted? Impressive.

Jake

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Facts do have an annoying way of disrupting a preordained narrative. Thanks to Elon Musk for setting the story straight.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Facts do have an annoying way of disrupting a preordained narrative. Thanks to Elon Musk for setting the story straight.
It was a standard NYT whack-job. Nothing will ever be apologized for, and they certainly won't print a retraction. If any correction it will be buried on page D-48 and no one will read it.

Power_Not_Speed

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
It was a standard NYT whack-job. Nothing will ever be apologized for, and they certainly won't print a retraction. If any correction it will be buried on page D-48 and no one will read it.
Aaaaand, speaking of preordained narrative, perhaps you don't know how the NYT has dealt with plagiarism and false reporting in the past. Maybe you're thinking of those Fair and Balanced® 'apologies'.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Based on Broder's response, Elon's staff fed him a string of poor information on charging the vehicle. However, Broder seems to lack some common sense when it comes to charging a battery. ;)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
...Also keep in mind that Tesla has a bad reputation of attacking the integrity of ANY media (not just the NYT) that gives it any bad press. They are very thin skinned when it comes to criticism of any kind. They have a history of attacking the messenger whenever they do not like the message. They have also attacked very conservative media sources that said bad things about their products, even when the criticism was true and deserved. This is not about conservative vs liberal, it is often about truth vs advertising hype. Sometimes Tesla's defensive posture is justified, but sometimes it is also not justified. None of us really knows the "whole" story, so trying to turn this into a conservative vs liberal political discussion is worthless, and all it really does is to point out your own biases for all to see.

Have Fun!

Don

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Based on Broder's response, Elon's staff fed him a string of poor information on charging the vehicle. However, Broder seems to lack some common sense when it comes to charging a battery. ;)
After reading both sides trade barbs it appears this is a case of some people in the company giving advice when they are probably not engineers with thorough knowledge of the product, or even technicians. And it appears that the writer is no worse than your average American in the smarts department, but still probably should have charged the car more when the opportunities were there.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Evidently, a number of Tesla owners are in the process of calling out the NYT writer ... by repeating the route on their own.

I have a funny feeling that they'll make the trip without difficulty.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Much ado about nothing. Tesla has no cars to sell and no dealers to sell them throughout most of the U.S.A.. When a Tesla supasses 1,626.1 miles on a single charge I'll be impressed.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Much ado about nothing. Tesla has no cars to sell and no dealers to sell them throughout most of the U.S.A.. When a Tesla supasses 1,626.1 miles on a single charge I'll be impressed.
That's a pretty tall order, considering the majority of current production vehicles can't even do that.

shadowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
The log shows the car traveling about 60 m.p.h. for a nearly 100-mile stretch on the New Jersey Turnpike. I cannot account for the discrepancy, nor for a later stretch in Connecticut where I recall driving about 45 m.p.h., but it may be the result of the car being delivered with 19-inch wheels and all-season tires, not the specified 21-inch wheels and summer tires.
:confused:
Well, being from Silicon Valley I am well aware of the optimism that abounds here. It's infectious, and can lead to a lot of good, but it can make it hard to admit issues with your billion-dollar pet project that are staring you right in the face.

That being said, my neighbor is ecstatic about the Model S he just got, but this is California weather we're talking about.