Terrible Transmission Leak on 03 manual TDI

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Below is what your transmission will look like when run low on oil and contaminated with water. This is the transmission in my 2000 Jetta TDI in 2011 at about 250k miles with no changes or top-offs. The 5th gear Slider and Hub were worn so bad it jumped out of gear with no warning and I never could get it to stay in 5th gear again. I ran a 5th gear out of a gasser transmission until I found a replacement. Today, after several flush changes, the transmission is doing fine at about 380k miles on it (my son owns now). The last two changes, I put Penn Syncromesh in it.

A lot of manufacturers say that the fluid is good for the life of thee transmission, they're right! Don't change it, expect it to go at about 100,000 miles and then your transmission is gone. Maybe 150. But not changing fluids definitely shortens the life.

If I could ever buy a new car, it would get all fluids changed the first week. All of it. I did an oil change on my motorcycle at 30 miles (half an hour ride from brand new) and seeing what came out, I wouldn't want that in there. All the metallic residue of gears breaking in made the oil sparkle.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
A lot of manufacturers say that the fluid is good for the life of thee transmission, they're right! Don't change it, expect it to go at about 100,000 miles and then your transmission is gone. Maybe 150. But not changing fluids definitely shortens the life.

If I could ever buy a new car, it would get all fluids changed the first week. All of it. I did an oil change on my motorcycle at 30 miles (half an hour ride from brand new) and seeing what came out, I wouldn't want that in there. All the metallic residue of gears breaking in made the oil sparkle.
I think the word "lifetime" might mean the average lifetime of the first car owner. 100k? 150k miles? I do it every timing belt change so it's easy to remember and long enough to be ready for it.

FluffySmooth

TDI
2003 Alaska Green Jetta ALH TDI sedan 180,000 miles 02J 5spd transmission (aftermarket injectors, unsure of brand)
UPDATE: I cleaned it off top and bottom, drove it to work and back today (about 20 miles either way) and it looks just as bad as before I pressure-washed it. Still coming off the top of the transmission somewhere. Still think it is the shift tower. IT IS NOT OVERFILLED

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Wipe/spray clean and stuff some paper towels into balls around the shift tower. Go for a drive for a mile and see if they're soaked. If so, then repalce and repeat at 1/4 mile or decreasing intervals until you might be able to see which paper towel wad is getting soaked and see if that gives you some direction.

I'm sort of 'Meh' on fluid fills.
I intentionally overfilled my o2J at the time of my swap "just because" or I didn't know any better, I can't remember why.- a mix of VW G070 and some random liqui moly gear lube found at napa, pushing north of 2.5 quarts. Shifted fine.
When drained 100k miles later the oil looked like clear amber cooking oil without any debris or opacity. Gears and case looked clean when I replaced the 5th gear for a different ratio. I have since filled with syncromesh mostly because it was on sale for 4$ a quart. I wouldn't think twice about putting wally-world/supertech gear oil in the 02J as long as it was full.

Then again, I legit wouldn't protest much if there was ATF in the gearbox either. It's not that sophisticated of a tranny.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Put the front tires up on the air, and drive the car while on Jack stands. You can kind of run it in first gear, see if anything comes out because the wind won't blow the air around. If you could support the car near the ball joint so the axles are straight it would probably be better.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I hear ya. Stands under frame, back wheels chalked, can't go nowhere. Test it. Pull it up on ramps, raise more to get stands in, leave the ramps as a safety.
Mt first TDI had a small transmission fluid leak, never fixed. Mechanic told me there are 2 seals. Outer one is easy, other much harder. So verifying where it's leaking from is your first step.

FluffySmooth

TDI
2003 Alaska Green Jetta ALH TDI sedan 180,000 miles 02J 5spd transmission (aftermarket injectors, unsure of brand)
UPDATE 3/25: Cleaned it again and drove it just up the road and back. I definitely looks like it's leaking around the Axle seal now. Frustrating because I replaced the axle flange seal not 5k miles ago. I wonder if there is a larger problem with something besides the seal? I just ordered another seal from ID Parts and will have to put it in. Last time around I put RTV around it too so it would seal up better.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Check the flange carefully to make sure it is not grooved. If it is it has to be replaced (I don't know if anyone makes a sleeve/seal kit for these.)

FluffySmooth

TDI
Check the flange carefully to make sure it is not grooved. If it is it has to be replaced (I don't know if anyone makes a sleeve/seal kit for these.)
I don't know how (or if) I could get just the flange without buying a whole new axle... The CV joints seem in decent shape but the boots are starting to tear pretty good.

Also, isn't there a seal between the output flange and the CV joint? Maybe that's where I am leaking?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
There is a cork kind of gasket between the cv & axle flange. If that was leaking it would be grease not oil. Idparts has new axle flanges if you find you need to go that route.

FluffySmooth

TDI
There is a cork kind of gasket between the cv & axle flange. If that was leaking it would be grease not oil. Idparts has new axle flanges if you find you need to go that route.
Good point. I will take a close look when I get home and see if I can find the problem.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

FluffySmooth

TDI

Mpaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy 2005 1,9 105 ps; Polo 2015 90PS Bluemotion, T5 2.5 5cyl
BAck to transmission oil: I didn't mean that it's a bad idea to change it, just that I've found it best to follow what VW says: drain it all out and then replace all of it with new oil. I've done it twice on mine (about every 200K km) and the old oil looked almost as good as new.
Once I sussed out how to do it, it's easy enough

FluffySmooth

TDI
BAck to transmission oil: I didn't mean that it's a bad idea to change it, just that I've found it best to follow what VW says: drain it all out and then replace all of it with new oil. I've done it twice on mine (about every 200K km) and the old oil looked almost as good as new.
Once I sussed out how to do it, it's easy enough
My plan is to drain it completely and refill to the proper amount. My new axle flange just got here so I will begin to change that out too.

FluffySmooth

TDI
CV to flange cork gasket.

New output flange.

I have ran into a big problem. I took the old flange out and when I pulled it, the spring, washer, and rings fell off and the brass tapered ring/spacer broke when it hit the floor. Not sure if it was weak as is or broke because of the concrete. Any clue where I could find another one? The Google Drive link below has pics of the ring I am referring to...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Vd8ECveW2MrRMouNzr18jFzoxJq7hE9U?usp=sharing

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That looks like a circlip, specifically the one that holds the cv joint on the end of the axle. If you bought an inner boot kit or a complete inner axle rebuild kit from idparts, I think both kits include a new circlip.

FluffySmooth

TDI
That looks like a circlip, specifically the one that holds the cv joint on the end of the axle. If you bought an inner boot kit or a complete inner axle rebuild kit from idparts, I think both kits include a new circlip.

Interesting. It fell off the end of the axle flange. I took the 6 torx bolts off to separate the CV joint and the flange, then I took the allen head bolt from the center of the axle flange. Finally, this clip fell off the end of the flange after I pulled it from the transmission. It was against the spring that goes around the flange shaft.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok I think I misunderstood you, you took the flange out of the transmission but pulling that long single bolt correct? And these parts fell out at that time? Does the clip go back on the flange? If it does will it stay in place while holding the spring in place also?

FluffySmooth

TDI
Ok I think I misunderstood you, you took the flange out of the transmission but pulling that long single bolt correct? And these parts fell out at that time? Does the clip go back on the flange? If it does will it stay in place while holding the spring in place also?
Correct, by pulling the long bolt in the center. I will have to check and see if the clip stays on. I doubt it will because it is broke

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Circlips may be available at a store like Fastenall.

FluffySmooth

TDI
Circlips may be available at a store like Fastenall.
I finally found the part number for the item. They call it a tapered ring and the number is 020409374 if you are curious. Called 3 or 4 stores in the surrounding area to finally find one.