Tentative Spokane GTG; skidplate installation

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
I've got a couple of local club members that are interested in doing a GTG to install skid plates on our cars. I've got a two car garage and access to an air compressor with a few basic air tools. i've got a good smattering of tools as well. I'm looking to see if I can get some locals together for a day of installation work and also some good stories. Tentative date is for the 29th of September. Would you like to come and just hang out? I plan on doing a barbeque for either lunch or dinner, so an accurate head-count would be appreciated. PM me and let me know if you can make it.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
Also, I'll have my vag-com/laptop and Bentley manual, if anyone else needs to check anything out.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I might come over from Montana just to meet you guys. DBW just did my TB 10,000 miles ago. I put a panzer plate on 2 years ago. (saved my butt once)

I am planning on ordering some struts and a lift kit soon. I'm following HermTDI's advice, getting Bilstein TC's. A 2" lift kit and various bits and and pieces. Any chance I could get that done? Or is this pretty much just a skid plate GTG.

Flytofish said:
I've got a couple of local club members that are interested in doing a GTG to install skid plates on our cars. I've got a two car garage and access to an air compressor with a few basic air tools. i've got a good smattering of tools as well. I'm looking to see if I can get some locals together for a day of installation work and also some good stories. Tentative date is for the 29th of September. Would you like to come and just hang out? I plan on doing a barbeque for either lunch or dinner, so an accurate head-count would be appreciated. PM me and let me know if you can make it.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I have a panzer plate. It really saved my butt a couple winters ago, I was coming home about 7:30 on a dark november night. Never saw the dead deer in the middle of the road until I ran over it.

That was about a week after I installed the plate. Had I not had the plate, at the *least* I would have smashed my oil pan. Not to mention sitting my the side of the road at night on a remote highway in butt could weather.:D

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
Bump! can we get more than five VW's in the driveway? I'm thinking that we can! PM me if you're interested in coming. This isn't just about skidplates. We're going to be doing multiple other jobs too!

bildubtdi

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI 5spd, '05 Jetta TDI 5spd wagon
Spokane GTG

I'm in. Been hoping to meet the local TDI fans.

I've been putting off nozzles because I've been putting off VAG-COM. Anyone coming have experience in these matters?

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
I swapped my nozzles last spring, but don't recall having to use vag-com. But I have vag-com, and it will be at the GTG. I don't know how set up we are for swapping nozzles this time. You need a vise, and possibly a slide hammer to get the injectors out, and a super clean place to change them. You might send a PM to Flytofish and check.

Then it's a good idea to get the injectors pop tested with the new nozzles in, which may mean a couple days of leaving your car somewhere (like your driveway)? Also, it really helps to do a chip upgrade at the same time as the nozzles, to get the most out of them without wasting fuel when you don't need it.

But feel free to come by and hang out regardless of what you do to you car.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
bildubtdi said:
I'm in. Been hoping to meet the local TDI fans.

I've been putting off nozzles because I've been putting off VAG-COM. Anyone coming have experience in these matters?
Heck yeah! You're more than welcome to come. Does sweeping out my garage qualify for being super clean? HAHA. Yeah, we may not have the expertise to do that job. However, I was contacted by a gentleman from down in the Palouse that just got a 05 Jetta Wagon, and sounds like he's coming. Sounds like he has a lot of automotive knowledge, but not much about the PD's. I'm thinking, that with bildubtdi, we're going to have around 6-7 or so showing up! This is going to be awesome!!! All I've got to do now is organize my tools, which may take until some time next year. bildubtdi, all I ask is that you bring your own beverage, I'll be providing some barbeque at some point.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Hi guys,
I'll be there also. Does anyone have a 17 mm hex key for getting the drain/fill plug on the 5spd tranny off they can bring? Otherwise I can have mine shipped out from home.

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Fly...

I just ordered my Panzer. I took the plastic one off last weekend to change oil and discovered it was disintegrating.

Looks like I will make the GTG for a skid plate install and rear brakes.

I have ramps, and most all tools for a TDI, including VAG-COM and Bentley on my laptop. Let me know what may be needed.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
Sorry for the late update, but this is going to be sweet!!! i'm thinking that there's going to be plenty of work for everyone! Hopefully we have some good weather, but if we don't, at least we can work on two cars at the same time in the garage.

Remember, I'm providing the BBQ. I've decided on burgers, some chicken, and some dogs. I may nix the chicken just due to time contraints on cooking, but the dogs and burgers definitely.

Boy, the neighbors are going to love me! I'll prewarn all the neighbors that we'll be making quite a bit of noise, but we should be okay.

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Sounds good! I'm looking forward to being there, meeting some fellow tdiers. Fly, I'll give you a call when I'm on my way to get directions, etc. I'll be leaving school as soon as I can on Friday, but I'll have to go home, get my dog. Then drive to Missoula, give him to my sister, then head to Spokane. I probably won't be there before 9 or 10.

Joe

Flytofish said:
Sorry for the late update, but this is going to be sweet!!! i'm thinking that there's going to be plenty of work for everyone! Hopefully we have some good weather, but if we don't, at least we can work on two cars at the same time in the garage.

Remember, I'm providing the BBQ. I've decided on burgers, some chicken, and some dogs. I may nix the chicken just due to time contraints on cooking, but the dogs and burgers definitely.

Boy, the neighbors are going to love me! I'll prewarn all the neighbors that we'll be making quite a bit of noise, but we should be okay.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
No worries Joe! I'm generally up fairly late. It's easy to find the place. I'll PM my address and you should be able to google it. Google is very accurate. Off I90, it's only about 8-9 turns.

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
It's all going down tomorrow at around 10:00. If anyone from the local area sees this, just show up! Almost a mini-car show. Give me a buzz at 509-999-3026 for directions!

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
Well, this went off today!!! I hope that all of you had a good time, and I hope that it went well. Thank you all for coming over, I appreciate having all the good mannered and good natured folks here. First to use the skidplate with an actual object gets a six-pack of beer!!!

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for hosting Doug, it was great to meet some other local TDI folks and get a skidplate on before winter. Thanks for the lunch and a clean place to work.

Next time, nozzles and chips?

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I had a great time Doug! The drive back to Kalispell was uneventfull, at least it was in the daytime.:)

I've attached a picture of Ian doing the difficult, little known, "foglight on knee" mod.:D
[/IMG]

Doug getting up close and personal with his oil pan....

Last edited:

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Doug…

After being the lone TDI at all of the VW/European car GTG in the Spokane area for the last few years, it was nice to see a TDI GTG. All car owners have their respective organization that they can associate with. However the TDI owners that I have meet at several GTGs over the last four years, are unique and I believe – a cut above.

There were kids and my daughter had a good time and stayed entertained the whole time we were there. I meet a good group of guys and two nice ladies: Doug wears the same coveralls that I do. SpokaneWalt is a man after my own heart – he drinks good beer. Just about everyone now has a Panzer skid plate.

I am sorry I couldn’t have gotten there earlier and stayed later. I am especially sorry I couldn’t spend the time to get my plate put on – thank you for the opportunity though! However, I had to take advantage of the break in the rain to take a load to the dump on the way into town and haul a ton of pellets home that afternoon in the trailer. AND I still didn’t get all of the hay unloaded.

I brought up the topic of hosting a TDIfest in Spokane. If any of you have any interest in such a thing – give me a PM. Perhaps we could even/or should be - talking about 2009. I have a great deal of experience organizing large GTGs. However I only have two, maybe three years left to do so for a fest. As soon as my daughter is old enough and experienced enough to move from junior to intermediate in her equestrian pursuits, I will be too busy with that and thus booked on Labor Day weekend for years to come.

If I don’t hear from enough of you to warrant checking in further to a fest, or even if I do, keep in mind that “inlandeuros” (95% VW) has a GTG weekend around the end of April – drive around Lake Cd/lunch on Sat and show-n-shine/BBQ on Sun at Mission Park. It would be nice to see a few more TDIs turn out.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Thanks for hosting a great time Doug. I had a productive and relaxing time; although it was difficult to explain to my team why I missed open gym on Saturday :D

I'll be trying to keep on the lookout for any more gatherings in the E Washington area, but if anything comes up guys please PM or email me as I've got rear brakes and rear sway bar on the list!

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
You mean telling them that you spent half of Saturday lying on your back under your car was hard to explain? :)

eb2143 said:
although it was difficult to explain to my team why I missed open gym on Saturday :D

I

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I don't know if I was the first from this GTG, but today I hit a big chunk of hard ice that fell off the truck in front of me on Grand Ave at about 34 mph. It hit hard enough to lift the front of the car a couple inches.

I know Doug and I have both smacked some driveways pretty hard already, but I submit that this is the first non-driveway skidplate save from this group. Do I win the beer? (like I need it at this point tonight).

Chris

giminy

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS
Flytofish said:
Drat, I can't believe I didn't see this when I first moved into town (well, I'm a bit south of you, but it's practically the same thing out here in the boonies).

I'll have to pay attention for the next GTG I guess :). I need to do a panzer install myself.

Reid

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
giminy said:
Drat, I can't believe I didn't see this when I first moved into town (well, I'm a bit south of you, but it's practically the same thing out here in the boonies).

I'll have to pay attention for the next GTG I guess :). I need to do a panzer install myself.

Reid
Sorry we missed you. It's really not hard to do, though. Just buy the plate (Evo or Panzer, whichever's cheaper at the moment), follow instructions. It'll suck in the snow and cold though, if you don't have a heated shop.