Tensioner came loose after TB change?

Number6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
I learned as I went on my AHU (still learning, tomorrow I hope to fire it up!) One dumb thing I did was inadequately drain the cooling system, so I spilled a lot of coolant everywhere as I took off hoses from the head, and from the head itself into the block, but I had to take the pan off anyway. I thought pulling the lower radiator hose would drain everything, (I was thinkin' American car, see) but the thermostat is down that way and prevented the block draining. I should have detached the other hose from the water pump to drain the block. Your engine and water pump are different than mine, but find out what the right method is to make a cleaner job of it.

dieselt

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 2000, green
[/IMG]

Hope your head is in better shape then this one...#4 piston contacted valve face.:(

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Just finished removing the head this evening. I don't see any damage but I am no expert. Any opinions based on the below pic? Since its out now I am going to send it out anyway to Frank for his opinion. The car is just shy of 188k and I plan on keeping her for awhile. It was not a bad job taking it out but that oil line that goes into the top of the turbo is a pain. I could not get a 2nd wrench on it and wound up kinking the line so I'll definitely need a new one. The injectors look very dirty, is this something that should be cleaned or replaced considering the mileage? Are there any other items I should consider doing while I'm in it this far?
Thanks,
Michael
[/IMG]

Number6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Congrats on getting this far! I don't think much diagnosis can be done based on the picture. Mine looked pretty good too with no sign of piston-valve contact, and yet 4 of my valves were bent. So I think sending it out to a pro is the right thing to do. Have you measured the piston heights out of the block? That'll tell you if you have bent rods; you might want to find out before sending out the head, if it would affect your financial decision at all. If you have bent rods, you'd have to do more like what Keith_J did recently, and wrote about it here. ( http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=173935 ) His thread has a number of useful tips. Anyway, I found this measurement a bit tricky to obtain accurately. If you'd like, I can describe how I did it. Also, be careful cleaning off the block surface; get it good 'n clean without scratching it up.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Number6 said:
I found this measurement a bit tricky to obtain accurately. If you'd like, I can describe how I did it.
If you don't mind, could you do that, for the "rest of us"...

Thanks,

Yuri.

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Thanks for the link Number6. Yes, if you could describe how you measured the piston heights it would be much appreciated.

Number6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
There are two purposes in measuring piston height out of the block: to compare the pistons to one another (relative), and to determine the right head gasket thickness (absolute).

If you look in the Bentley manual, they show a gizmo for measuing piston height. If you can find one, that's probably the best way. But as I didn't know where to get one, I used two other methods.

Tools
Dial indicator and stand: I bought a cheap dial indicator and magnetic base stand from Harbor Freight. You can find a lot of them on ebay too, better ones no doubt, but I live close to a HF store. It should be able to read in 1000ths of an inch or better, or 100ths of a mm. Also, not a bad idea to calibrate it - use some feeler gauges or something of sufficient and known precision.

Feeler Gauges in a wide range of thicknesses
A micrometer or caliper (digital or otherwise) capable of reading to .01mm or .0005in
Something, ideally precision ground flat stock 3/8 or thicker by about 1 x 4, but more likely, an ordinary square of some sort, something with a good flat edge, as needed in method 1.

Finding TDC

You can use the TDC mark on the flywheel to get pistons 1 and 4 to the top, but for 2 and 3, the dial indicator helps a lot; you position it out over the bore, turn the crank to bring the piston up to approximately tdc. Then, perhaps using the screwdriver in the flywheel teeth method, turn the crank till the needle doesn't go up any more, go a little farther, as soon as the needle starts to go back down, you back up a little. I would suggest you then lift up on the piston with your fingers in the recessed chamber, just to get any additional play out.

Note: if there's excessive carbon build up on the piston tops, might want to clean that off before taking measurements.

Method 1

Suggested to me by both Franko6 and JasonTDI, it's also the simplest to do. Take the square or flat thing and lay it across the top of the piston, overhanging the edges. Insert feeler gauges between it and the block surface and take that measure. Do this at a couple of different angles on each piston. If you find that the distances are not quite the same on either side of the piston, your straightedge may not be that flat, ( you can check it with the caliper / micrometer ) or the piston may be cocked a little.

Method 2

I found this more tedious, but wanted to use two methods and hope for general agreement between them and use differences to get an idea how accurate I was, since we're trying to measure within +/- .001 or less. But if method 1 is good enough for those two gurus, maybe you don't need to worry about this one. Mount the dial indicator in a place where you can zero it on the block, and then swing it out over the high surfaces of the piston. It takes some doing, because you have to not disturb the stand height off the block as you swing it over the piston. So I did it repeatedly, and unless I could get the same measurement 3 times in a row going back and forth from block to piston, I ignored the measurement. Do this in a couple different locations on the piston.

Try to estimate your error in both cases. I don't know of any actual specs for how different the piston heights can be before it indicates a bent rod, but I found mine to be all within .001" of each other and took that to be good enough. Maybe some pros can weigh in on this. I remember in Keith_J's thread he mentioned how far off his was, just don't remember the number right now, but it was more than .001.

Last edited:

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Sent the head out to Frank for evaluation and no damage was found to the valves from this mishap. While it was out and considering the miles on it (188k) valve guides were replaced, valve seats touched up and camshaft journals were align bored. Got the head back and am in the process of installing everything. While installing the injectors I broke the banjo bolt that goes on #3 injector for the fuel return line. I hardly put any pressure on the bolt and it crumbled. Is there any torque value for this bolt? I stopped by VW tody and ordered a new one so it will be a few days at least before I can crank her up but so far its looking good. I'll post an update when it gets on the road. Thanks again for all the help from everyone and to Frank for his excellent service.

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Success at last. Got the car running a couple of days ago and took her out last night for 60 miles and had no problems. Thanks again for all the help from everyone.
Michael