Tell Us About Your Very 1st Diesel

TDI
ALH
First diesel I got was last year at 17....

Got myself a 7.3 IDI F250, 4X4 ZF5.šŸ¤˜

Pretty mechanically smart for my age thanks
to friends that got me interested. Picked up the truck for it's reliability and to run alternative fuels. Replaced the entire fuel system and added custom filtration so I can filter on the go and pick up ATF or WMO anywhere and throw it in the fuel tank.

Part of other forums for it and it'll be a restore project soon.

Truck looks great and the power of a diesel brings sheer joy when it's running.

This year I'd like to pick up a TDI. Read about the reputation of the engines, and while they seem to be problematic with camshafts, lifters, and valves failing, they are cheap and easy to work on. The fuel economy is enticing and will need a good vehicle to visit my girlfriend who lives 12 away. Sure beats a noisy truck I'm sure!

Eventually I'll diesel swap my '95 f150 which is a single cab short bed 4x4 5spd when the engine dies on it considering a TDI, after I have experience with a TDI car.

So for now I'll be taking in info and asking questionsšŸ¤“

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
My first diesel was in 2015 when I imported a 1990 Toyota LJ78 LandCruiser with the 2.4L turbo lump. With only 97hp pushing a 4800lb vehicle through an automatic transmission it was no speed demon, but surprisingly it felt quicker to drive than the 1989 FJ62 it replaced. Fuel mileage was double, too!
That really got me hooked on diesels, and about a year later I bought a 1988 Mercedes 300GD followed by a 1985 Toyota BJ73 LandCruiser.
Then I got my first TDI, a 1997 Jetta. I sold the two LandCruisers and got a 1990 LandCruiser HDJ81, sold that to my brother and picked up another 1991 LJ78 which I TDI swapped and now daily drive. I ended up parting out the Jetta due to rust and previous accident damage, and bought another '97. Along the way I also had a 1990 Toyota LN106 Hilux diesel.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l ā€œJediā€
Boy Iā€™m a bit late for this one but my first diesel I bought in 2016 or 2017 and was also my first Volkswagen, 1981 Rabbit, 1.6L, no turbo, and rust rust rust. Was a lot of fun for such a gutless car, and I took it on an 8 hour (one way) road trip, but later on it overheated and blew the headgasket. I did end up replacing the head gasket but couldnā€™t get one injector (I donā€™t remember why I took the injectors out) to seal in the head so there it sits, rusting away... also I donā€™t think I got the cam timing quite right, which Iā€™m sure I can fix now, but that was my first experience with timing belts lol.
Then I got a 1997 Ram with the 12 valve Cummins which was stolen and ultimately written off six months after I got it (I bought it back for parts). Then I got another 12 valve, which I still have, but the first time I rode in a buddyā€™s mk5 Jetta I was like, ā€œMan, I gotta get me a TDI!!ā€
And Iā€™ve been hooked ever since.

Full Circle

TDI
2001 Golf GL 2DR HB 5spd manual 93 Ford F250 7.3 IDI NA / sold 2009 VW SW / 2010 GOLF / 2014 BMW 323D
My first diesel is a 01 VW Golf gl with a ALH motor I bought it used with 69000 miles for 13k back in 04 this car has made $ for me. As I look back with the fuel economy. Retired from Uncle Sams club in 04 after Iraq deployment and went straight into divorce in central TX. Finalized she went back home to AL. I needed a car that would get outstanding mileage to visit my daughter hence my username "Full Circle". Grew up driving VW first drive 73 Super Beetle later 81 Rabbitt. Was already used to the styling and accustomed to it plus the fond memories of driving one, I figured it was time to come full circle, I did and started work as govt contractor. Have driven from central TX to Savannah GA, Junction City KS, El Paso TX, Boise ID, Yakima WA. All the while getting paid 50 to 54 cents a mile averaging 50+ Mpg. I wanted to see as much as possible the country I spent 20+ years defending against all enemies foreign or domestic. Having seen much went back to Iraq came home worked around the country and called it quits in 2011. Still drive my daily driver 01 TDI over 255000 now going strong, got vagcom n a set of Bentley manuals maintaining. Have plans for a 03 GTI I picked up for 1400$ big conversion underway. Have owned an driven 07 VW GTI 09 VW Jetta SW TDI and 2010 Golf TDI the last 2 sold back to VW bought the 04 TDI for my parents and am convinced that 03 and earlier are a better car for fuel economy. Have 2 spare ALH blocks and 2 02j trans to rebuild and outfit with taller 5th gear. Electric cars bite me if you can catch me with all your recharging, can go 800+ miles a tank conservable.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
My first diesel was my first car and the car I still own and daily drive today. It is a 2000 Jetta. Prior to that I had been driving a car my parents lent me but with that came stipulations. After 6 years of that, I found a car I knew nothing about and bought it.

I paid $4,001 for it. It had 186,392 miles. Oilhammer fixed it up for a few grand more. It has 395,000 miles today. I just drove it to Phoenix and back (3,777 miles round trip). I drove home after my wedding in that car. Picked up my first dog in that car. Itā€™s my favorite even though I have a 2015 Golf TDI in the stable.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
My first was a 1984 Jetta that came with my new wife. It was a turboDiesel and fully converted me to oil burning. We have since had a W115 300d, two W123s, an '84 300D and an '83 300CD. I now drive a 2014 JSW TDI and my wife a 2008 Mercedes E320 Diesel.

Screw electricity. I miss our 300Ds the most. Zombie apocalypse cars.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
First diesel I owned was a 1990 w250 dodge with a 12 valve cummins. I wish to this day I didn't sell it, the kid I sold it to blew it up, helped him rebuild it, he drive it for a few years then bought a newer truck. Just sits out back behind his barn rotting away. Offered to buy it back a few times...
First diesel vw was an 86 jetta turbo idi. Didn't have it for long, but it was a fun little car. Drove well and did decent on power. Engine had low compression when I got it, got to the point where it wouldn't start under 50*f. Parted it out and made my money back on it. Won't lie, I like my 01 a lot better.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
My first diesel was my second car (1st being a 74 super beetle that I still have). 1981 w123 non turbo 300D. I miss it everyday. Brother totaled it one day some 20 years ago or so when he was home from college and needed a car to run into town. So devastating. Been on the lookout since. Got Orville shortly thereafter as an homage; best decision Iā€™ve made in cars.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
making this post mainly to try and resolve a glitch. i accidently hit the "quote" button after one of IBW posts and now no matter how many times i delete it, refresh the page, back out completely, check another forum, etc. the "quoted" message reappearsšŸ˜µā€šŸ’«
so heres what ive owned and what i still own.
2003 6.6l LB7 duramax Crew Cab Long Bed
bought in 09 with 180,000 drove it till it hit 380,000 miles sold it in 2014.
2001 7.3l PSD E350 short body, bought in 2014 with 80,000 currently at 250,000 and counting.
2003 1.9l ALH jetta wagon, bought in 2019 with 180,000 miles sold in 2021 with 230,000 miles
2013 2.0l CJAA JSW, bought in 2021 with 50,000 currently at 100,000 and counting.

non diesel list
1999 GMC Safari bought in 2002 with 30,000 miles sold in 2022 with 230,000, it was parked for years with a slipping trans always wanted to ressurect it but aquired too many projects.... as a life long bmxer initially i had no desire for a license or car until i was around 17 and it occured i could travel more... bought the chevy cause more bikes and people fit and it actually got better mileage than my Safari, the 7.3l van was a natuaral progression i suppose....one may say i prefer boxy vehicles.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Sorry I haven't been around much last few years but this thread is about as good a place as any to come back to.

My first diesel was our intro car that IIRC was an early 1978 that IIRC was model code 173 (for deluxe) 543 (for 4 door). I wasn't an instant diesel convert, but the mayor of our little city (25k) owned an equipment rental business and drove onto the lot with his brand spanking new D100 with 4 litre NA Mitsu (6DR5) and bought the first diesel bunny we had to sell. He actually made me into a convert over the next months, but my personal demos went back and fourth between Sciroccos and Jeeps (we were in the bush and also an AMC/Jeep store), We came South in 1980/81 and after getting into air cooled restos I just slid into the engine side and was delivering stuff in a one ton F350 crew cab - and that 400M engine simply had no guts but a phenomenal appetite for fuel. So, from our JDM imports I grabbed a 6D14 and stuffed the engine, a turbo and 5 speed gearbox into the Ford - and we were in the diesel import, sales and conversion business - where I was hooked permanently on Compression Ignition. So, my first PERSONAL diesel was my '76 F350CC with extended wheelbase (towed large trailer) that served extremely well (I still have the engine and gearbox) from 1982 on. MANY years later, I have the incredible good fortune to work with what I have to leave as "alternative design" diesel engines - will be able to discuss when my good friends release a production model.

stuboy

TDI
Ford galaxy 2003 tdi (pd) engine
I had a ford orion 1990 1.8 non turbo... wasn't fast or great as no pas but did almost 300k mikes