Tell Us About Your Very 1st Diesel

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Mine was in 1984. We had a new baby, a new house, so I figured, why not a new vehicle! So I traded our '79 Corolla 1200 for an '84 Isuzu P'Up 5 speed.

It had 62 HP I think. I even towed our 3,000 lb. 19' Bayliner boat with it, but the fastest I went towing was 50 MPH. If I tried to go faster it put out a BUNCH of black smoke! On time at a boat launch trying to get boat up the ramp, the clutch was fully engaged, engine was revving, but it wasn't moving! The clutch was totally slipping. I had to get some guys to help push. :D

I had a camper shell on the back. It was just like this one:

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Awesome! My first diesel was very recent! In 2014 I picked up a 1999.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed. It was the car that taught me how to work on cars, and got me hooked on diesels. Now my wife and I both have diesels.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Purchased my first in 2010, a 2005.5, Package 2 (Leather, full power seats) Jetta from a recycler. It was sold to the recycler as a trade in from a dealer, only issue was that it would not shift into 3rd, body had a small dent in the drivers door, 145K miles.

I had a SCCA race car and a Tahoe tow vehicle, and thought I should get a fuel efficient car to offset the Tahoe. Looked at Mk4s, found a few nice ones, but decided on the MK5, since it was a newer body style. Glad I did, since the styling has held up.

Still have it at 371K, put a new trans in when I purchased it, after the fact found that the shifting problem was probably the linkage that I could have fixed by opening up the top shifter. Did the Cam and SMF/clutch at the same time. At about 280K, the trans seal in the bell housing worked loose, and drained the fluid, replaced the trans and clutch with a 6SP upgrade.
After several sets of tires, and timing belts/water pumps, electrical gremlins, door locks, headliner, etc, it stills runs well and looks good.

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
My first diesel was an '84 Volvo 245 diesel... it introduced me to the art of climbing freeway mountain grades at bicycle speeds. I never understood why it could only go 30 mph up a grade with 80hp in a 3000lb car, when my '01 TDI can go 90 mph up the same grades with 90hp and about the same curb weight....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My first diesel was also an '84 Volvo 245. Acceleration was glacial, but at least it was loud :) . It's still sitting in my dooryard gathering patina. Those Volvo wagons sure had amazing cargo capacity.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
My first diesel was also an '84 Volvo 245. Acceleration was glacial, but at least it was loud :) . It's still sitting in my dooryard gathering patina. Those Volvo wagons sure had amazing cargo capacity.
Speaking of Volvo, back in '89 I was going to either get an '85 VW-engined Volvo, or an '85 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham 4.3L V-6 diesel. The Olds was in better shape, so I got it. LOVED IT! Only $2995 for a 4 year old car, that had 89,000 miles. I put another 100K miles on it. Was luxurious, and got 33 MPG on the highway.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
1967 Mercedes 200D used bought in 1973 can't remember the millage on the car. Normally aspirated 68 hp manual trans 4 on the collum in a 2-ton four-door car...........what a turd to drive. 45mpg, fuel was 45 cents per gallon and heating oil was a quarter. After a few years of hard winter starts, I said by by to that old tank. Sold it for 200 bucks. Sold it for a Ruger MK II 22 auto pistol. Kind of miss it but nor really. I did drive it to Maine and back to Wisconsin and I spent more on tolls than I did on fuel

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
1984 Jetta with the 1.6L NA engine. What a great college student car - simple, robust, easy to fix, and cheap to run. It had a "4+E" manual trans, meaning the gear lever showed gears 1-4 and 5th was called "E". Wish I had kept it but I was seduced by a new car once I had a salary.
Followed this one with a 1981 Dasher wagon - super comfortable and could carry a ton of stuff. But the 1.5L threw a rod and, even with a replacement engine, was never quite the same again. Wasn't sorry to see this one go.
3rd was a 1997 Passat TDI sedan - put nearly 300k on it in 17 years of ownership and sold to a TDIclub member. It might still be running for all I know.
4th was a 2012 Passat SE, nearly 100k and still going strong.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
In 1998 I was driving a 1961 Chevy BelAir 4 door with a 1997 Vortec 350 with standalone fuel injection/700R4 transmission/8.5" 10 bolt, 80's B body brakes/front suspension etc. I got into an accident which totaled the car :( but nobody was injured :). I needed a new set of wheels, so talking to a friend of mine, he knew of an 81 Olds Cutlass with a 5.7 Diesel in it for $700 that ran and drove. Ugh, a diesel - slow, smelly, don't know much about them - well, ok, I guess it's the best thing I can find and I need a car now'ish and trust my friend.

Seriously - next to my current 03 Jetta, this is the best car I've ever owned! High 20's for MPG's, went anywhere, would run on most anything oil-like, drove great with the deep dish wheels and springs to lift it up a bit. Didn't have to worry about it getting scratched/dented/etc - perfect beater car for a college kid.

My next 3-4 cars were all 80's 5.7 diesels - an 83 LeSabre, 84 LeSabre, and finally an 83 Regal that I drove until it dropped a valve and I bought my 03 Jetta.

All in all - over 100K miles on those 5.7 diesels and they got me hooked on diesels. Actually have my eye on an 84 Park Avenue with 71k original miles on it that has the 5.7 in it but really don't have the space or need for another car.

Currently have my 03 Jetta TDI, an 03 TT with a TDI swap, and a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon with a 6.6 Duramax in my diesel fleet.

Reactions: eli

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
1983 Volvo 244 diesel sedan. 4 speed with push button OD. Slower than snot and a terrible smoke screen following it around most everywhere it went. I inherited this car around the year 2000 and drove it to college for a few years until I got my 2002 Jetta, which seemed like an incredible step up.

That car had character, though. The harmonic moan of that I6 engine, the quirks, and the insanely stiff and tough Volvo body the engine was tasked with pushing around. It was a unique car, thats for sure.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
1981 Chevy Caprice Diesel......great old car slow and smoky never really had problems to the end and then car got a Gas Engine for the last 2 years

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
1984 VW Jetta 1.6l Turbo Diesel GL. Still going, though I don't own it anymore. Had experience working on a NA 1.6l beforehand.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
In 1998 I was driving a 1961 Chevy BelAir 4 door with a 1997 Vortec 350 with standalone fuel injection/700R4 transmission/8.5" 10 bolt, 80's B body brakes/front suspension etc. I got into an accident which totaled the car :( but nobody was injured :). I needed a new set of wheels, so talking to a friend of mine, he knew of an 81 Olds Cutlass with a 5.7 Diesel in it for $700 that ran and drove. Ugh, a diesel - slow, smelly, don't know much about them - well, ok, I guess it's the best thing I can find and I need a car now'ish and trust my friend.

Seriously - next to my current 03 Jetta, this is the best car I've ever owned! High 20's for MPG's, went anywhere, would run on most anything oil-like, drove great with the deep dish wheels and springs to lift it up a bit. Didn't have to worry about it getting scratched/dented/etc - perfect beater car for a college kid.

My next 3-4 cars were all 80's 5.7 diesels - an 83 LeSabre, 84 LeSabre, and finally an 83 Regal that I drove until it dropped a valve and I bought my 03 Jetta.
I'd love to have a mid 80s Buick Regal w/4.3L V-6 diesel! :D

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I'd love to have a mid 80s Buick Regal w/4.3L V-6 diesel! :D
No, you wouldn't - you'd still be trying to get somewhere! :D

I worked on a mid 80's oldsmobile that had a 4.3 vs transverse (front wheel drive) diesel in it! Only seen that one ever. Owner claimed low 40's MPG regularly! It was similar in performance to the 5.7 V8 RWD's in the larger cars.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Shoot, now I'm going to have to scour the web for somebody who has done a twin turbo, diesel G-body. They'll probably all be Duramax swaps.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I remember reading a few years back about a guy who had put a GM 5.7L diesel in a corvette. Great stuff!

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
First two were diesels, an '80 VW rabbit which I out grew in 3 months, my legs got to long to shift safely. (and it kept killing batteries)
Then migrated to a '82 Chevy luv (Chevrolet rebranded Isuzu Pup) it dropped parts of the transmission every 1500 miles, mainly 5th gear came loose.
(then grabbed my Aunt's 84 Golf, a gasser, and drove it for almost 200k miles, till keeping it on the road was more expensive than my 2003 Jetta's payments)

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
1979 MB 240d 4 speed manual followed by my first new TDI my 02 Jetta. Interesting diesels along the way include Navistar 6.9 5 speed manual F250, 84 Ford Tempo manual, several more W123’s, a freebie 220d from Oilhammer that still looked new, 84 Jetta Turbodiesel idi from Coolairvw, several dozen MKIV TDI’s, 5 BHW Passats I added a 3rd pedal to, a Mack box truck converted to a toter-home, MB Sprinter, and my last 3 are my 335d, X5 35d, and my 99 Superduty 7.3 6 speed manual.

My Superduty got totaled last year while parked, and my BMW’s will likely be the last diesels I own. My marina doesn’t sell diesel and my boat lives there year round so it’ll stay gas powered. My wife commutes 5 miles a day and I drive 26 miles per week now round trip to the airport so my run with oil burners is nearly at its end. When the Bavarians quit I’ll have to find her something else with 600+ lb feet of torque, but I’ll be happy driving one of my square body Chevys or maybe a newer F150 to the airport.

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
1983 Volvo 244 diesel sedan. 4 speed with push button OD. Slower than snot and a terrible smoke screen following it around most everywhere it went. I inherited this car around the year 2000 and drove it to college for a few years until I got my 2002 Jetta, which seemed like an incredible step up.

That car had character, though. The harmonic moan of that I6 engine, the quirks, and the insanely stiff and tough Volvo body the engine was tasked with pushing around. It was a unique car, thats for sure.
Your Volvo had the 2.4L 6-cylinder VW IDI engine, right? IIRC Volvo called it the D24 engine and the D24T was the turbo version. The smoke show from it must have been awesome as Prius Repellent. LOL.

Here is my story involving the same engine in a 40kW generator application built for "Ma Bell" Western Electric:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=997524&postcount=52

Contained in this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=61449

The genset still runs today. I am concerned about the timing belt as it is still the original belt from 1983. I haven't been to the site in a while so I should get up there one of these weekends before winter comes and start the generator up.

:cool:

Last edited:

02NBTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 GTDI
3 Cutlass 5.7 diesels, 2 two door Olds Delta 88s were my first diesels. Long gone!!
1 79 Rabbit Diesel with a 83 Rabbit TD powertrain swap. Still have...
1 77 Rabbit Diesel with 58,xxx original miles on it. Still have...
3 TDI eqipped VWs also...

Have had diesels for a long time!!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My first truck was a diesel, though not originally. It was a 1987 Mazda b2600 which I got with a bad engine from my dad. He told me that if I fixed it I could have it. I then found a 4d55t Mitsubishi diesel from a mighty max which I swapped in.
Then I got a 1981 rabbit two door which someone had swapped a 1.5 diesel into.
Then a 1981 Nissan Maxima with the LD28 6 cylinder diesel. I really loved that engine, but the car was rusted out. I then got a 1988 Jeep comanche that I was going to put that engine into, but ended up selling both.
Then a 1982 vw caddy, which I still have
Next I got a 1998 Jetta which I swapped a 1.6 turbo diesel into.
1994 GMC Sierra k2500 6.5 turbo diesel
2006 vw jetta tdi
1983 Ford ranger 2.2 diesel (factory!) I still have this one, though it'll be going up for sale soon
2005 Passat TDI
2001 golf TDI
1994 Chevrolet Silverado k1500 6.5 diesel
I think that's all of them...
My occupation is a diesel mechanic. It started young.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
My first diesel was a 1983 F-250 Supercab 6.9 IDI N/A 4 speed manual 2WD. I hauled a huge Lance camper all over the US with it. It wasn't real fast but it got the job done and decent mileage to boot, in the days of cheap fuel no less. I can remember paying 89 cents/gallon in NM.

Since then I've had Mercedes, Cadillac, VW and another Ford (7.3).

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
81 Dasher fastback
Like many of VWs offerings, it too was cursed with a couple serious design flaws and met an early demise.
Like many other VWs, I did enjoy that car a great deal, however.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Your Volvo had the 2.4L 6-cylinder VW IDI engine, right? IIRC Volvo called it the D24 engine and the D24T was the turbo version. The smoke show from it must have been awesome as Prius Repellent. LOL.

Here is my story involving the same engine in a 40kW generator application built for "Ma Bell" Western Electric:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=997524&postcount=52

Contained in this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=61449

The genset still runs today. I am concerned about the timing belt as it is still the original belt from 1983. I haven't been to the site in a while so I should get up there one of these weekends before winter comes and start the generator up.

:cool:
It's looking like I may be going to the tower site this coming weekend or the next weekend to start the generator up and let it run for a while. :cool:

The Western Electric Ma Bell genset restoration project in 2002 became the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and made me trade out of my gas guzzling Subaru WRX and get in to a 2002 Golf TDI, my first diesel. :cool: Like a change of religion, it was the start of my diesel conversion and kicking the gasoline habit.

I recorded a video of a previous maintenance run and posted it up on YouTube a while ago:

After 18 years and more than 900k miles of diesel ownership experience to date, I haven't regretted that decision one bit. :cool:

Last edited: