Tell Us About Your Running Swaps: Mileage Racked Up,Impressions,Things You Would....

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Tell us about your driving impressions of your swap that has made it onto the road. Things you would have done differently, issues, mods, maintenance issues.

My 2nd TDI Swap: AHU into a Corrado G60 shell
Mileage since being swapped: 53k miles
Started Driving: Little over 2yrs ago

Mods: 2" OD IC pipes, 2.25" Cat back Techtonics exhaust, PD 130 intake manifold, PP764 Injectors, Passat MFA Cluster.

Impressions: I love driving this car everywhere, no matter how far the trip.

Issues since going on the road:
G60 fuel pump died and I swapped in the TDI fuel tank sender. No noticeable performance change. The Mk3 TDI sender in the G60 tank only allows the usage of 13 gallons of the 15 gallon tank. I didn't modify the bottom of the G60 tank where the gas fuel pump mounts in case I want to go back to a gasser fuel pump. I could probably fix this 13gallon issue but its so minor that its not worth the time and mess.

Glowplug light: I used a 1Z engine harness with an AHU ECU and AHU engine. The 1Z used the glowplug relay that plugs into the #12 spot. The AHU uses a remote mounted relay (#180) with monitoring that the 1z's doesn't have. To fix this I pulled the glow plug wiring from an AHU harness and plan to add this wiring to my car when time permits. This should get rid of the code.

The only other issue I have had is that the car take a long time to build up heat in the winter 20+ minutes and if I blast the heat too high I can see the water temp decrease on 20 degree days. I think its related to the car not having an EGR cooler and maybe a defective coolant glowplug module. I picked up a spare coolant glowplug module when I bought the spare ahu wiring (the module was recently replaced :D) I've also picked up a higher temp thermostat.

Other then those very minor issues the car has been a dream to drive.

Mods for the future: AFN manifold (have it already), B5 VNT turbo(have it already), turbo back 2.5" exhaust, and the necessary programing. I'm not certain I want to upgrade because I love the way it drives so much. It doesn't beg to be driven uber fast so I also have a spare new stock turbo. Remember I also had an ALH corrado with an 1852 turbo upgrade so I speak from experience.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
First swap: 1996 B4 Passat 1Z into 1997 B4 Passat GLX wagon. 33,600 miles.
What I'd do differently:
1, I'd start with an OBD II ECU. The 1997 required emission inspection scan information that my original OBD-D 1996 ECU could not provide. A late 1996 ECU solved that.
2, I'd do the tach signal conversion rather than a laser-jet printout overlay to accomodate the reduced VR6 tach sweep angle when driven by four pulses.
3, I wouldn't have sold it.

Second swap: 1997 A3 Jetta AHU into 1995 A3 Cabrio GLX. 13,250 miles.
What I'd do differently:
1, I'd have swapped the Jetta fuel tank. I kept the Cabrio tank and pump for use as a lift pump. The pump died the first time my wife borrowed the car and left her stranded in the winter in the middle of no-where. I got the Jetta tank back and swapped.
2, I'd have done a TT convertible instead....maybe next time.

The Cabrio also had a very slow warm-up. The t-stat wasn't closing enough. Opened just fine, never over-heated, but had some by-pass through it that kept coolant going through the radiator even when cold. I replaced the t-stat and it warms up quick, winter time too.

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
So far I have about 5000 miles on the Saturn TDI project; one thing that I wish I had done when I started the conversion is putting in a fresh clutch! The old one recently began not "quite" disengaging, and as it turned out, had some bent/worn fingers, although the clutch disc still had a lot of material.

Getting 55 mpg is great, not to mention all that low-end torque. I just did a RC2 for it, and really enjoyed that briefly before the clutch went.

About the only thing I might have done differently is start with a nicer Saturn, even though the SL2 was intended to just be an R&D test mule to sort out the swap. It turned out to be so much fun that it's now my daily driver!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
How many miles on the saturn's tdi motor? The clutch finger issue is something I have seen a couple of times.

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
Love the car you have G60ing !

How do you guy's pass emission test? Does the person ever question a different motor then the specified gas one via VIN #? I'd love to get my dad's help in throwing one of the ALH or 1Z motors into a Vanagon or something. I've already asked, he doesn't quite fancy the fabrication elements in this daunting task. Well done though guys, I’m jealous. It's incredible to know you have power to make any car, well most anyway, you dream of become more fuel efficient.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Never had a problem because my car hadn't been registered in NC before so when I went to DMV I had them change the G to a D. I am in one of the few emissions exempt counties in NC but it does get me out of them checking for OBD2 codes or caring that I have a CEL.

When I move to Virginia next year I might have to have my car inspected by a DMV inspector since my car was once registered in VA. I have been gathering all of the goodies to get my car to pass a strict CARB state inspection and I might have to use them for the initial inspection. After the first DMV inspection I can then have it annual inspected by a friend at the VW dealership.

MrDave

Veteran Member
'02 ALH into '82 Rabbit Pickup
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?778864

Mileage since being swapped: 246,000 kms
Started Driving: 2003

Mods: 2" stainless IC pipes, 2.25" exhaust, custom intercooler, factory .205 injectors, ASV ECU, RC 3.1, mk4 G/J MFA Cluster

Impressions: absolutely fabulous, dyno'd 149whp.

Issues since going on the road:
1. figuring out the fuel gauge. mk4 reads reverse to mk1-3, ended up building bracket to install mk4 sender in pickup fuel tank
2. glow plugs. ALH from 2002 uses smart relay, ALH from pre-2002 uses slightly dumber relay, ASV uses basic relay w/o diagnostics. Bentley had a misprint, so I started with the pre-02 relay, figured that out, then advanced to the post-02 relay, then got chipped to ASV and GP stopped working. Helped Jeff at R/C figure out the issue (he now does a change (adds a wire?) in the ECU for the ASV flashes). Currently using a basic relay, no issues, no CEL for bad GP.
3. clutch. I'm running a custom built 020 with a 3.42 final. Running an OEM 210mm GTI clutch. It can slip.
4. ignition switch. The contacts in my ign. switch started to not work, the truck became very hard to start, since the 12V key-on power was off when the starter was enabled....
5. cracked oil pan. Low pickup + soft oil pan + road construction = ouch. I've added the AEG steel oilpan cover. No more oil pan issues.
6. Hit a deer. Bambi's dead.

Mods for the future:
1. 02A trans. from a mk3/b4 TDI. With a good clutch, of course. But must go through the usual issues to install the hydro-clutch trans to a mk1 chassis
2. finish the body. The old pickup is looking quite rough, still some deer damage to repair.
3. more power? Things have changed a bit since 2003, there are lots more power adder options now

-Dave

Lug_Nut

TDI
How do you guy's pass emission test? Does the person ever question a different motor then the specified gas one via VIN #?
MA's vin database ignores everything except what's in MA. Both of my swaps were into cars from out-of-state, and both were complete before a MA title application (with diesel listed) was submitted. As MA was concerned they have been diesel because they never existed before.
The VIN code doesn't decode into some specific engine. The VIN number IS associated with an entry in the state's database. Just as a phone number doesn't describe a person, but that number can be used to identify a person.

My 97 had to pass the 97 requirements which consists of a no-fault OBD II scan. The original 96 ECU wasn't OBD II and couldn't pass. There were no faults, but couldn't communicate that to the state's scanner to prove it.
My 95 is pre-OBD II (implemented in 1996 for gas, 1997 for diesel), so it has no issues, even though with the 1997 driveline and ECU it could pass up to 2005 diesel smog tests.

Last edited:

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
G60ing, my '97 TDI has about 225K on it...looked like the original clutch from what I could tell. I just got the trans put back in the car last night, hopefully I will have everything finished this evening. If nothing else, it was a good excuse to put the VR6 clutch kit in!

X@V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B7 A4 V6 2.5TDI, MK2 frankentdi 2.0 16V TDI PD
1- Jetta 92 TDI ALH

Ran for 3000 miles, a stupid driver broke a coolant hose and destroyed the engine.

Mods: OEM 11mm pump, GT1749VA, chip, .216 nozzles, FMIC

2- Jetta GTX 1990 TDI ALH

Ran for about 3000 miles also
Mods: VNT20, 3B map, 11mm OEM pump, .232 nozzles, custom chip, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust line

3- Jetta MK3 2-doors TDI ALH

Only put the ALH from the '90 GTX into the MK3, with .205x6 nozzles. Ran for about 10k miles with exactly the same set-up

4- Jetta MK3 2-door TDI PD150 ARL

The actual set-up, ran 7-8k miles this year, still running.
Mods: PD150 ARL complete swap, 6-speed Audi A3 TDI transmission, GTB2056VL, 2.5" exhaust, FMIC, .220 nozzles, custom chip

Average fuel consumption: 4.7L/100km (as seen into my signature)

5- Jetta 1985 TDI AHU

Now building this project: THE WINTER

Mods: GTB1756VK, MK4 wiring + ECU (2000 ALH 012BD), 3 map, 11mm OEM pump w/custom bracket, .205x6 nozzles, FMIC, custom chip, etc.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have done a T3 (Vanagon) and am helping with another.

Biggest issue I have is the gearing is all wrong for the Transporters. The boxer engine can whiz along happily at 5000+ RPM all day long, no problems. The TDI can barely GET to 5000 RPMs, very slow climb after 4500, and not really much power over 4000, and really the "meat" of the TDI's output is done at only 3500. Imagine driving a stock Jetta TDI without the use of 4th and 5th gears. That is what a T3 TDI is like :(.

The fuel economy, while certainly better than the waterboxer, is not all that great, probably largely due to the gearing. 25 MPG is about it (a stock 1.9L waterboxer 4-sp can squeeze 20 on the hwy).

Around town the TDI slings the big box up to speed in a hurry though, and would probably pull a busload of fat chicks out of an all-you-can-eat buffet without a whimper, so that is pretty cool. :D

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
1st swap: 88' Audi 80 Quattro, PD130 Longitudinal engine, See sig for mods. I blew the stock turbo up within 300 miles of getting it running (I wouldn't even say completed), I was too anxious. I didn't get a fuel economy figure yet.

Things I liked about it, Traction, and lots of it.
Dislikes: the gearing, I should have gotten a TDI spec trans, but with my Audi, it's difficult due to the 4.11 gearing (TDI 01A has 3.89 gears).

I'll probably start back up on it really soon, I already have the turbo, but am thinking what to do next.

Second swap:
1982 Vanagon Westfalia, or T3 as oilhammer put it. 4500 miles on it so far. Fuel economy varies (like any other TDI), the worst I've gotten is around 29 mpg 75+ mph, the best is 37.98 mpg 45-60 mph. 11mm pump, hybrid turbo, .216 nozzles, 3 bar map, AWIC, and custom gearing. At 75 mph the engine is spinning at 2850 rpms

Likes: low end torque, pulling into a camp and just popping the top and whollah, camp is set.
Dislikes: At speed there is a lot of wind noise, mainly due to rust holes and rotted window seals, it will be a lot better when those things get fixed (still noisy, as it is still a brick but just the normal noise).

I still have a lot to do with the Vanagon, but I was a lot more patient with it than I was with the Audi in terms of only driving it when it was more completed.

Jon

oilhammer

TDI
What trans/gearing did you use? 2850 RPM at 75 sounds nice, lots better than 4000. You still have 185R14 tires?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Gah, this thread makes me Jealous. I'm going to make a B3 Passat Wagon TDI or die trying. I'm working on a 16v Subie Swap into a T3 with a friend of mine, the owner wanted to do a TDI but the subie was $500 for the whole car... hard to beat that cost.

roundout

Veteran Member
TDI
5 speed ALH
8k miles on a MKIV gas to ALH conversion. It's not as complex as some of the swaps posted here but it was entertaining. It also got me thinking about some other swaps I am now drawing and crunching numbers on.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
I used the DK air-cooled trans with the 4.57 r&p with weddle 3rd and 4th gears, 1.14 & .70. For tires I have 205/65R16's, it really does ride nice with them and doesn't rub at all.

oilhammer

TDI
I used the DK air-cooled trans with the 4.57 r&p with weddle 3rd and 4th gears, 1.14 & .70. For tires I have 205/65R16's, it really does ride nice with them and doesn't rub at all.
Thanks so much for that information. Do the tires do OK with the weight? I generally only run the proper 185R14 reinforced tires on all my T3s, which will hold up to 60psi (if necessary), don't bulge much at all, and make the big box hold the road really, really well. I'd hate to lose that great road feel. If you get a chance (no hurry) next time you have the wheels off for service, take a tape measure and get a circumference of the tires you are running as I'd like to compare to my stock size.

Thanks again! :)

Lug_Nut

TDI
calculated to 26.5 inch diameter,
205 x .65 = 133.25 mm sidewall
two sidewalls = 266.5 mm or 10.5 inch
10.5 + 16 is 26.5 diameter
Circumference (unladen, not 'rolling distance') is 83.25 inch.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
That's pretty close, I measured it loaded and it was 85.5". The road feel is definitely better with these than the old Wildcats. Oilhammer, I sent you a couple PM's.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
mk2 jetta alh swap, 85k on the swap. ive had it for 18 months. currently rc5,502s,11mm,fmic,17/22, 3" exaust. never gotten under 43mpg on a tank. driven daily like its stolen. so much faster then my 1.8t...

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
Toyota Pickup with 1Z engine. (see sig for mods)

General impressions:
I LOVE this truck! :D Aside for some small details, it is perfect for it's intended job - a utility vehicle.

It's a bit loud - both intake and exhaust - but I love it's sound.

There are not a lot of miles on it, but they are hard miles, and the diesel is performing very well.

Most recently, we moved and the truck pulled a double horse trailer full of our stuff up our mountain road a few times. A lot of my stuff is heavy - machine shop stuff. It's also pulled an Airstream over mountian passes to bring it here from Oregon.

Stuff I did right:
Use an early (pre-Tacoma) Toyota. They are reasonably light and well built.
Heavy duty clutch from Marlin Crawler
Heavy duty R-151F transmission from a Turbo Toyota
Getting it chipped by Rocketchip - it also needs a re-tune after all the mods.
Hot-rodding it with bigger turbo, injectors, free-flowing exhaust & intake
Starting with an early diesel - relatively easy to mod, w/ other Benefits. :rolleyes:

Stuff I'd do differently:
Start with a truck that came with a manual tranny (better gearing, fewer drivetrain changes)
Go immediately to at least a VNT17 turbo (This is my 3rd turbo - I've rebuilt the intake system for each turbo.
Don't mess around w/ cheap intercoolers (my Audi intercooler blew up)

Problems that weren't problems:
The whole issue of finding a starter. With the new VNT-20, I could have used a stock starter.

Nagging issues:
Oil leaks.

In the end, I'm very satisfied w/ the project. Even when considering the stuff I had to change a few times. This project has taught me a lot about diesels - and I know there's a lot more it can teach me. :)

I'd also like to thank everyone on this forum for the fantastic advise they've given over the years. It was probably the most important aspect in being able to get this project working. :cool::)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
bump for more finished swaps

babyrattler

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Green
Just "completed" (are they ever complete?) a 1977 Jeep CJ7/1998 AHU swap. I only have about 150 miles on it but wanted to comment.

What went wrong:
Motor mounts were WAY too firm. Changed them out last week, I had to cut and re-weld the frame mounts :( in order to get them to fit. It really sucks when you have to redo stuff.
I'm sure there are other things that will pop up but that is the only swap related problem so far.

What went right:
Great clutch (Centerforce Dual Friction), I can push the pedal with 2 fingers but yet it has holding power like mad. I am so glad I spent the money on a good clutch.

Most other "right" stuff is more Jeep related so I won't bother with that.

I love the results so far. Even though the AHU isn't heavily modified (2" IC piping, stock IC, 2.5" SS exhaust, Stage 2 Colt, PP520's, stock ECM) it has plenty of power to move the Jeep around. VAGCOM says 32mpg @ 63mph with the front axle engaged on slushy roads. The old V8 package would have been around 10mpg.

Thanks to all the TDIClub memebers for the info they have posted thru the years. What a great source of info!

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
This is a little off topic but how do you check the fuel economy in Vag-Com babyrattler? I couldn't find anything here or in the Ross-Tech Wiki.

I'll add my TDI Toyota soon, a GT22V and a chip is going in it shortly.

babyrattler

TDI
Jetta, 1998, Green
Luke - I used the ltr/hr fuel consumption rate and my actual speed using engine rpm, gear ratios, tire diameter in order to determine mpg.