TDIs in Rochester, NY Area

Aholt

TDI
02 jetta Blue
Hey Rochester folks. Just wondering who you all have found to be top-notch TDI mechanics in the the area.

Also, I'm curious who's made performance upgrades to their cars (chipped, sway bars, etc) and if you've had them done locally.

Thanks in advance!
There is a guy on this forum from Webster, his screen name is fursty.
He is a diesel tech. Has all the tools and can do anything you need.
He has never done any work for me, I hear a lot guys say he is
good, and his price is good.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
B100 for sale!

Hi guys, I just sold my TDI, and have 4 gallons of B100 that I bought from Northern Biodiesel up in Ontario, NY. Purchased in April, and has been stored in the stable temperature environment of my basement the whole time. I bought 5 gallons, and used 1 gallon before selling the car. It's in a 5 gallon yellow diesel container.

I'd hate to see it go to waste. I'm selling it for $20, including the container. If nobody on this forum wants it, I'll sell it on Craigslist instead.
Send me a PM if you're interested. I'm located in Webster.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I just might be interested in that B100. I could not find any reason that tells me I cannot run at least B5 in my '03 - and 4 gallons would last me half a year when using 5%.
I didn't know Northern Biodiesel was selling it by the gallon - I couldn't find a price or availability when I searched it online.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
I just might be interested in that B100. I could not find any reason that tells me I cannot run at least B5 in my '03 - and 4 gallons would last me half a year when using 5%.
I didn't know Northern Biodiesel was selling it by the gallon - I couldn't find a price or availability when I searched it online.
Yes, my MK6 TDI could go up to B5. With your 2003 TDI, you might be able to go even higher, but don't quote me on that.

Northern Bio doesn't advertise that they will sell by the gallon, and getting them to do so is somewhat hit or miss depending on how busy they are at the time you show up.

I also heard a rumor a couple of months ago (about a month after I bought this jug of B100) that they were being sold, and that their operations might be shut down during this transition period. There's no indication of that on their web site, and I had enough B100 to last me through the summer, so I didn't confirm this information.

Regardless, this B100 I have is good stuff, and I'd like to see someone make use of it. Send me a PM if you'd like to set up a time to get together. Webster is just east of Rochester, up by Lake Ontario.

Thanks,

Steve

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Today I spotted a very rare TDI in WNY-a Silk Blue B4 Passat sedan! The B4's are rare here in WNY,let alone a TDI. First time I've seen a silk blue in person.It was in a driveway on Rt.31 between Holley & Fancher,on the curve by Holley Rd.

cpj

TDI
2012 JSW 6 speed manual
Just got my new red VW JSW TDI last week, 6 speed manual. Wave if you see me! Waited 6 months to get it. Love it so far :)

Metalhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Saw a mk1 or mk2 Golf Diesel on Hard road in Webster NY. Pulled up next to the guy and congratulated him on his amazing car.

Brennan-MN

TDI
GMC Duramax
Howdy everyone.
I have a few questions for the folks in the Rochester area regarding diesel. I am a student attending RIT, so I am actually located in Henrietta. I will be bringing my vehicle with me to school this year and I have a few questions.

Here in Minnesota (where I am from) we have 5% mandated bio diesel, I like this because it helps with the lubricity for the older pre-2007 diesel engines. Do you have a mandated percent of bio diesel in NY?

Where is a station or truck stop that you know of that sells good diesel? A station that is decently priced and moves a lot of fuel. I will not be driving as often, so good diesel is more important. The closer it is to Henrietta the better, but I am willing to drive. So list them off please!

Thanks so much. I look forward to seeing you on the road.

Brennan

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
No Bio mandate here - there are plenty of nearby diesel stations to RIT; personally when fueling locally I almost always go to the Kwik Fill at Jefferson and West Henrietta. Always close to if not the best local price, pay at the pump, and the truck island is rarely in demand even when the station as a whole is a zoo.

The FastTrack right next to RIT was just built this year and has diesel as well, I don't know how competitive their pricing is since it's not well signed and I don't drive past frequently enough to mind. Their other nearby location is mid-priced locally speaking.

Fuel prices around the metro range at least 15-20¢*gallon. Luckily Henrietta is on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Billshire

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI GLS Wagon autotragic
I've been driving my TDi around Rochester since november last year; loving it. 03 Silver Jetta Wagon with a bunch and soon to be more bumper stickers on the back. Just spotted a TDI that lives down the street in the south wedge

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As Mike said,no bio here. I ***think*** the biodiesel place in Ontario NY is still going(Northern Biodiesel,IIRC),but I have never been there.I bought some bio from a member that bought it there on occasion(sold his TDI). Probably best turnover would be the Kwik Fill on W. Henrietta Rd.across from Ollie's.The price at Fast Trac by RIT was just over $4 yesterday when I went by.The price of RUG is the same as here in Genesee County($3.799 )..... as far as work goes if you ever need any done on your TDI-the only place "close" to you is Select Euro Cars in Waterloo,NY. I think there are a few members in area w/ vag-com,I don't know them though..... a sighting last night on I-90 west,between Leroy and Batavia- a new TDI Passat passed me(it had Northtown VW plate frame).

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
HEX+CAN USB here.

I have no problem meeting up to do easy things, and I've rented it with deposit for longer duration needs before.

Billshire

TDI
Hey Mr. Mindless - could we get together to fiddle with VCDS on my 03 Jetta? I would be super appreciative and could probably toss you a few beers for your time. I wanted to look at timing and a few other things that I can't do with VCDS Lite.

On another note; I saw a 2010 TDI Jetta Cup Car parked in the parking lot at work the yesterday. Looked sweet but I like my wagon more :D

TDIfan84

TDI
'12 Jetta TDI (Traded for Forester, 10/15)
Picked up my 2012 Jetta TDI last Saturday. So far, I love it. It's reflex silver, plate #WOBXX27 If you happen to see me out and about, say hi!

After reading some of the stories here about Dorschel, and having my own experiences with both Dorschel and Vincent...I'm quite weary about bringing my car to them for anything. I might just bite the bullet and do the scheduled maintenance myself.

Billshire

TDI
I feel it is best to do scheduled maintenance on a car yourself, but I am a do-it-yourselfer type of guy. Most of the regular maintenance bits on these cars aren't that bad, especially if you have car ramps and a decent crawler.

TDIfan84

TDI
True. I did ALL of the maintenance on my last car, a 2008 Jetta 2.5, myself. The hardest thing I encountered was getting the brake calipers off to replace the rotors in the rear, but even that was a cinch once I got the right tools. It was in the dealer twice, and only because I lived across the street from one of them. Once was to replace a broken door skin bolt (car wash at fault), and the other time was to put new tires on, as I had a coupon (and they did a recall that I wasn't even aware of).

Billshire

TDI
The hardest maintenance I have done to the vehicle was, in order, replacing the timing belt, replacing the IP and pulling the turbo for cleaning. I suppose when I get a 5 speed to swap the auto 01M out that will be tougher than the rest of that stuff.

Maintenance is fun (when you have a garage and it isn't winter)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I heard on radio today that Dick Ide has 2 new dealerships-VW in East Rochester and a Mazda dealer-so I'm guessing Vincent sold out to Dick Ide. No new sightings.......

TDIfan84

TDI
That's interesting about Dick Ide...Wonder what changes that will bring about. I spotted a Black NB TDI today in front of me, driving down East Ave. near Meigs. You had a TDI Club Yes...Diesel plate frame on the back! I flashed my headlights, hoping you might have seen :D

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I'll be out in Rochester area this weekend. Heading to Canandaigua Saturday then on on to Ithaca Sunday then back home to Somerset in the afternoon.
Platinum Gray '03 - TDIClub frame on the back.

Incidentally, the only reason I learned that TDIClub existed - back in '07 - was when I saw a NB with a club plate frame on the back. I was headed out to pick up my new-to-me TDI.

TDIfan84

TDI
Canandaigua is very nice...I spent a couple days out there last week visiting family from out of town. Never been to Ithaca though, but I hear it's 'gorges' :p

Saw a silver MK V TDI parked kiddie-corner to me tonight in front of the Chinese Buffet on Jefferson Rd. I should print out some of those cards for times like that!

Last edited:

TDIfan84

TDI
2 TDIs in One Night!

I saw two TDIs tonight on my way home. One was a white A5 Jetta in Webster, on Holt Rd, and the other was on 104W/590S, it was a dark green B4 Passat wagon. By the way, if the owner of the Passat sees this...your drivers side tail light is out :)

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
TWIN 2003 Silver Jetta Sportwagon TDI's spotted in Marion, NY

I was attending a meeting at my kid's school in Marion, NY and what should I see but not one but TWO Silver 2003 ( I asked whose they were and what year were they ) Jetta Sportwagon TDI's in the school parking lot.

They bought them at an auction in NJ and brought them here, so anyone who thought NY State was still checking CARB for 2003 through 2008, looks like they aren't ( they may also have been "2002" labeled ). I can't speak for what year they are other than what they told me.

They are very good looking for their age - no rust and they look and sound great. :)

I also told them to keep a close eye on them as someone might want to "borrow" them for a test drive. Now who in the heck would do that in this small town? :rolleyes:

One has the built-in racks, the other has the aftermarket racks. After seeing both of them and still having them myself ( I can't part with it ), I still like the aftermarket racks better.

Jealous? me? - hell yes!

GorillaBiscuits13

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS - Auto
So if one needs a timing belt job done in the Western NY area, select euro cars is a good place?
I'm about an hour south of Roc, though work near Pitt until Dec.
I'll have to talk to Davebugs again to see about down near pitt.
Still have 5k to go, so don't know when i'll get to that point.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Before you come back to WNY,I'd take I-80 and go see Metalman in Sunbury,PA(south of Williamsport)-then you could just take 15 up to 390. I've personally never used SelectEuroCars,but they are on trusted list,work on and sell some TDI's.You could always email them and see what they charge for the TB job and what they replace. I didn't see any TDI's on my drive through Rochester today,though.

GorillaBiscuits13

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS - Auto
Thanks for the heads up. I'm just thinking I'll need my car, and a TB job is going to take a little while. I'll have to get a hold of Metalman though.
Thanks

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the heads up. I'm just thinking I'll need my car, and a TB job is going to take a little while. I'll have to get a hold of Metalman though.
Thanks
You can wait for it if you have Metalman do it-make an appt for first thing in morning and you should be out of there by noon-1pm;)....he was able to do TB and swap out injection pump in less than 4 hrs on my 98 Jetta.

GorillaBiscuits13

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS - Auto
You can wait for it if you have Metalman do it-make an appt for first thing in morning and you should be out of there by noon-1pm;)....he was able to do TB and swap out injection pump in less than 4 hrs on my 98 Jetta.
That's what I'm thinking i'll try to do, although ~3 hours away from metalman, then enough time for him to do the job, then another 2 hour drive north. Long day lol, but I'm sure it's worth it.
Thanks for all the help!

TDIfan84

TDI
I saw a JSW this morning entering 590 North as I was Exiting at the Blossom/Browncroft ramp. We crossed paths... Like the color :D

TDI
2010 tdi cup edition
Just picked up a white 2010 TDI cup today drove it home from indiana to my house on park ave rochester.

ps the trip was 520 miles and i avraged 51.8 MPG according to the consumption calculator in the car!!