TDI's any good?

rocky53

TDI
none yet
Howdy everybody, I'm lookin for info on the vw TDI's. I have a diesel truck and pickup and Oliver 1655 D, How do these cars stand up as far as reliability in the engine and body, all the electronic garb everything has now. I live on a gravel road,would that be problem for these cars? I'm lookin' at 2 ads 1 is a '06,1.9, automatic, with 105000 miles private guy with rebuilt title,$5500. The other is local dealer '06 1.9,5 speed,170000 mi from auction no history on it.$4995

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
as a principle, salvage /rebuilt titles are a low ball price and a warning. body shops and really anything related to "fixed from insurance" is poor quality.
TDI's are a bit longer life than most gas engines comparatively, better MPG but usually a bit higher of a price tag and parts list that revolve around TDIs, especially the newer stuff
Many of us here have the "before 2015 model" mentality, but the reality is that they all are good and new tech always ends up winning in the end.
If you hear the argument "these new ones are bad because they are not the old engines" yea its just biased opinion. the devil you know!
that all being said, both are low miles, and if you plan on doing all the work yourself, yea, go for it. feel free to ask any questions you have. we are happy to help.

rocky53

TDI
none yet
Thanks for the reply Mongler, Is it true after 2006 these engines have DEF? And I also read where the automatic trans have no dipstick?

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Some probably have DEF but I've never come across one. Trans have no dipstick, just a drain hole and a fill hole. These cars keep me busy on my days off, but I go for the oldies.
I had a newer one tdi, and just today I found a chemical sprayer with a fancy fitting on the end so I could fill the dsg trans on it. Now its at least $40 of clutter I don't plan on using ever again. My old one I just run a hose to a hole for gravity filling.

rocky53

TDI
none yet
IDK,I think it's kinda dumb not having a dipstick. Fahrvegnugen what do you mean these cars keep you busy? Are the manuals reliable? What oldies? I had a 59 bus a hundred years ago. And a 74 and 68 bug, wish had em back.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I suspect you'd be happier with a MKIV TDI (1999.5 - 2006). Find the best Jetta you can, lift it with longer springs or a lift kit, and it'll handle the dirt roads fine. No emissions gear to speak of, and what there is can be easily deleted. The '06 you mention is a MKV if it's a sedan, but that would be a good option, too. No DEF in Jettas until 2015.

rocky53

TDI
none yet
Thanks Indigo, The thing I was concerned about gravel roads That I live on was the dust affecting a VW TDI. I was sorta thinking these car were better on streets and highways. And I like what you said about the emissions delete. What are the usual problems with these cars? The 1 I'm lookin at has 170,000 miles on it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The BRM (2006 Jetta sedan) is notorious for early camshaft wear, leading to all sorts of errors, and necessitating replacement.

Like IBW said, the engine (ALH) on the Mk4 platform is more robust.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Manuals are good, but mine broke. You have to take care of them, which keeps me busy. By old I mean 20 years or so. Alh is good, although it hasn’t been economical for me. I find cars expensive. I choose the expenses to have a nice running alh golf, and prefer it over most anything else on the road. I go back and forth on every modification because I think it is relatively well engineered. I like the way it drives. I want to raise mine but hesitate to change driving dynamics. The dirt isn’t ideal but it’s as fine as most other cars, although it is clearly designed for pavement. I had an intact snow screen I removed yesterday because it didn’t seem to make a difference with sand getting in the air intake box. The car doesn’t seem to mind either way.

rocky53

TDI
none yet
Well, thanks everybody for the info, makes me think to not get a VW TDI. Maybe I should try and stick the 6.2 chevy diesel sitting in my shop into my rust bucket 65 Impala!!

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
To each his own. I think my mkiv 2003 5-speed wagon is just about the perfect car. With some upgrades it’s right quick, carries a bunch of stuff, easy to work on, drives great, and 45.3 mpg on my latest tank of diesel. Not sure what more to ask for. If you want a car you don’t have to ever work on, a 15-20 year car of any make is probably not for you.

rocky53

TDI
none yet
300D. My newest vehicle is a 2001 Intl 9400, then a 2000 S10 Blazer,1992Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton 6.5 TD,1983 Chevy1/2 ton 4x4 355 gas hog, and the 1965 Chevy Impala. I'm not a mechanic but I try to fix as much as I can. I was trying to find out about the VW TDI because the vehicles I have are not exactly fuel efficient. I used to own a 1959 VW bus and a 68 and 74 VW bug. From what I was hearing on here was these TDI's were not the most reliable. I know nothing about theses cars thats why I was lookin for info on here. But it sounds like the mkiv is the best of the bunch so I might try to find out about it.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
My car has 275,000 miles. Yes it is on it's second engine, but that is because the previous owner didn't take care of it very well. They need their maintenance. But give it to them, and they (at least the ALH that I know really well) will keep running and running and running. Only car I know of that is more reliable in the long term is the W123 300D's of the 80's.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
The MKIVs ran from 1999 through 2006, I believe. Starting in 2004 they stuck the next gen engine in. There are others on here far far more knowledgable about the exact model years and engine codes. I just have the ALH in my 2003. (And also a 2019 AllTrack 6-speed, with a far less loved engine in it that my partner drives. She wanted a little more clearance and the AWD)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
ALH is the engine, MKIV is the platform. Also called "A" platforms up until 2009. A=VW's smaller body car, the number indicates the generation. A1 was the Rabbit back in the 70s, A2 started in the mid-80s, and so on.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Buying a nearly 20 year old car will have many more issues than just an reliable engine. Unless you like working on it all the time. Stay with a car no more than 7 years old

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I think that if you've worked on cars before, and don't mind working on cars, you'd love a 2002-2003 TDI.
Sure, they can be buggy, but that goes for any car. And keep in mind a good TDI from 18yrs ago might have 250K miles on it. But if the timing belt is taken care of, replace some wear items like alternator pulley, serpentine belt tensioner, suspension components, etc., no reason the engine isn't good for another 250K miles.

rocky53

TDI
none yet
Ya I agree with ToxicDoc. Everybody has their own opinion on how old or new a car to get, I would prefer the older ones, but haven't seen any for sale around here,Iowa, unless you count 2006 as old,which I do not. 'course I just started lookin'. Thanks for your replies.