TDIFest North East caravan???

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Location
Farm country, Sacramento, CA region
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Hello all,

Just putting out a feeler, does anyone in the NE wanna take over the highways and caravan to TDIfest or are we all basically miandering in on our own?

I plan on leaving at the crack of dawn on friday (prolly around 5am) from RI to get there for our early check in and help out with set ups and such. Anyone in?
 

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
I could probably swing that. Lets plan the route. Oh, BUT, leaving at 5am, we'd be in NY after 7, so I don't know how much traffic we'd run into.
We need to think of some good meeting places along the way to pick up other "peeps":

The first 95-Southbound rest stop after New Haven (I think it is in Milford, CT, around exit 43) would be good for the northern CT and MA people, while the first rest stop on the Garden State Parkway would be a good convergence area for NY and NNJ people too.

I was planning on taking the GSP to the Turnpike crossover, so I could take 287 over the TappanZee rather than trying to get through NYC, regardless of time.

cevans
 

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Location
VA/CT
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
We're leaving Thursday night. We should be well enebriated by the time you guys arrive...
 

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Location
Farm country, Sacramento, CA region
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
That sounds like a plan. I was planning on leaving RI at 5am, which would put me in your area of CT around 7am.. .and NY by 8:30-9ish (maybe a little later) at the end of rush hour (hopefully). The Tapenzee is my bridge of choice, if i can avoid the GW like the plague i will.

I know that the Chills may be joining us, but i believe that depends on which vehicle they're able to bring.

I'm all for picking up others along the way! :D

Nuke.. are you bringing the fryer? ;):cool::p
 

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
Zippy_car said:
That sounds like a plan. I was planning on leaving RI at 5am, which would put me in your area of CT around 7am.. .and NY by 8:30-9ish (maybe a little later) at the end of rush hour (hopefully). The Tapenzee is my bridge of choice, if i can avoid the GW like the plague i will.

I know that the Chills may be joining us, but i believe that depends on which vehicle they're able to bring.

I'm all for picking up others along the way! :D

Nuke.. are you bringing the fryer? ;):cool::p
I'm coming from Worcester, MA. So, if I leave at 5AM too then we should be good to go! We are going to sit in traffic forever though :( Are you sure you don't want to leave at like 9 or 10 instead, that way we are on the TZee at lunchtime and reaching philly around 330-4?

If anyone else is going down friday from Worcester-area, let me know!

Corey
 

robdesigns

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Location
Back in gasoline - Central MA
TDI
None
NE Caravan

cevans said:
I'm coming from Worcester, MA. So, if I leave at 5AM too then we should be good to go! We are going to sit in traffic forever though :( Are you sure you don't want to leave at like 9 or 10 instead, that way we are on the TZee at lunchtime and reaching philly around 330-4?

If anyone else is going down friday from Worcester-area, let me know!

Corey
Beetle-Go and I are stopping in Charlton on the way from Boston to get my stuff. What about hooking up between 8:30-10am at Cracker Barrel? This gives a broad window for stragglers to show up, and something for the early birds to do while they wait.

Rob
 

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Location
VA/CT
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I don't know if I'll bring the fryer or not. It takes FOREVER for the oil to cool down, and I'm not sure what the hotel policy is on using propane heaters in their parking lot. If I can fit it, I'll throw it in there just in case. Mrs. Chill is supposed to be bringing the vessel to the fest to return it to me.
 

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
robdesigns said:
Beetle-Go and I are stopping in Charlton on the way from Boston to get my stuff. What about hooking up between 8:30-10am at Cracker Barrel? This gives a broad window for stragglers to show up, and something for the early birds to do while they wait.

Rob
This one?

215 Charlton Road
Sturbridge MA
 

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
Counter-proposal: plan to LEAVE cracker barrel at 9am sharp (I don't know if you wanted to stop an get breakfast or just hang out in the parkinglot). Meet Zippy along the way in CT around 10:30.

cevans
 

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Location
Farm country, Sacramento, CA region
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
robdesigns said:
Beetle-Go and I are stopping in Charlton on the way from Boston to get my stuff. What about hooking up between 8:30-10am at Cracker Barrel? This gives a broad window for stragglers to show up, and something for the early birds to do while they wait.

Rob
I won't wait around for that long, but i'm still willing to meet up with you guys in CT. :)
 

SSTDI

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Location
New Haven, CT
TDI
none :-(
I guess I'll miss this one too!

I want in too but I won't be leaving New Haven until noonish. I am hoping to leave work at 11am, we'll see... -Matt
 

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
Well, Matt, I'm sure we can accomodate a little bit of waiting. I was thinking that a good meeting area would be the first stop on 95S after New Haven. We would be there between 10:30 and 11, and two hours in is a good time to stop and stretch, grab a soda, etc. I'm sure none of us would be adverse to hanging out for a half hour. So, do you think its possible for you to meet us by 11:30?

This is the rest stop I am referring to:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...247047,-73.009&spn=0.007744,0.021629&t=h&om=1

Corey
 
Last edited:

robdesigns

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Location
Back in gasoline - Central MA
TDI
None
cevans said:
Counter-proposal: plan to LEAVE cracker barrel at 9am sharp (I don't know if you wanted to stop an get breakfast or just hang out in the parkinglot). Meet Zippy along the way in CT around 10:30.

cevans
Leaving at 9am is fine with me, I was hoping to get some breakfast, and I figured that the interchange of 84-90-20 is the last transportation hub for any central and eastern MA attendees. That will have me getting to Cracker Barrel at 8am, leaving Cambridge at 6am and stopping at home to grab my stuff. I will check with B-Go to make sure that is not to early.

Regards,

Rob
 

owr084

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Location
Northern Virginia (NoVA)
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
What you guys need to do is create signs that say "Follow me to TDIFest 2006" to place in your back window. That way, any stragglers along the way will know who to follow...
 

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
Joined
Jul 30, 2002
Location
NH
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
meganuke said:
I don't know if I'll bring the fryer or not. It takes FOREVER for the oil to cool down, and I'm not sure what the hotel policy is on using propane heaters in their parking lot. If I can fit it, I'll throw it in there just in case. Mrs. Chill is supposed to be bringing the vessel to the fest to return it to me.
He said "vessel"...:eek:

Safe driving! We'll be there by noon on Thurs.:)
 

SSTDI

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Location
New Haven, CT
TDI
none :-(
meeting in MILFord

cevans said:
...So, do you think its possible for you to meet us by 11:30?
Corey
Short Answer: Yes, it is possible

Long Answer: I will have to get the dog to the dog sitter by 7:30am, pack the car up the night before and hopefully it will be slow enough at work to leave by 10:30am so I can pick up sleeping Billy at home (he's working the night shift on thursday) and Milford is only 15mins from home... I can do it!!! I always miss out on the caravans! NOT THIS TIME! :eek: -Matt
 

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Location
VA/CT
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I'll still be sleeping while you guys are driving. Wake me up when you finally get there...

And Zippy-- bring Oreos and Twinkies. :D
 

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
Heh...Matt said MILF!

So, right now, here is the plan.

Cambridge Departure: 6A
(I-90 East to Sturbridge)
Arrive in Sturbridge: 8A
Leave Sturbridge: 9A
(I-84W to I-91S to I-95S)
Meet in Milford: 10:30A
Leave Milford: 11A
(I-95S to 287W/87N Over Tappan Zee Bridge, to Garden State Parkway Southbound, tranfer to New Jersey Turnpike South, to I-276E...)
Arrive in King of Prussia, PA ~3.
 
Last edited:

SnowCub

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Location
Bedford, MA
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
You guys have room for a SnowCub? I think I should be able to get out early enough to join you guys. That is if you don't mind all the signs on my car.

"Follow me to TDIfest 2006 signs" would be funny. Where is the official logo for this year?
 

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 21, 1998
Location
Cambridge, MA
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I'm not too sure I could get going so early. I sleep until 7:15 normally (and that's heading to bed at 10:30). I definitely need my sleep (doctor's orders).

I can push it early, but not saying how early that is...

~BeetleGo, seeking sleep
 

blue_jetta

Veteran Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2005
Location
New Jersey, USA
TDI
2006 Blue Jetta, 2005.5 Black Jetta
For those of you coming from Central NJ, I'll be leaving Hamilton, NJ around 1:30 or 2pm on Friday (gotta work a half day). I work right around the corner from the AMC 24 in Hamilton and can meet up with people there.
 
Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
SnowCub said:
You guys have room for a SnowCub? I think I should be able to get out early enough to join you guys. That is if you don't mind all the signs on my car.

"Follow me to TDIfest 2006 signs" would be funny. Where is the official logo for this year?
Where do you want to meet us? Auburn Cracker-Barrel?

Or departure times will be influenced by BeetleGo. I know that you'll head out as soon as you physically can.

I'll be at the STURBRIDGE Cracker Barrel at ~8:15 waiting for robdesigns and BG. All times mentioned up top will remain the same, but with a 30 min or so wiggle room. Our intended daparture from Milford will be 12 noon, intead of 11.

I will PM all that have posted in this thread my cell phone number. Feel free to give me a call (just say you are from TDIClub!) and ask for a status update anytime Friday.
 
Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
Hey, my mistake, I've been saying Auburn for the Cracker Barrel, its actually in STURBRIDGE. My mistake!
 

robdesigns

Veteran Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Location
Back in gasoline - Central MA
TDI
None
Zippy_car said:
I'll see y'all in Milford.
BG ~ take you're time, we can easily accomidate your needs, and adjust accordingly. Just let us know what we can do for you. :)
AAAAHHH MAN!!!! I was hoping to pull the bed out from under him like the sergeant in Beetle Bailey!!
:D :D
 

SnowCub

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Location
Bedford, MA
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
I've been thinking, there's no way I'm getting up at the *ss crack of dawn. So I probably will not be joining the caravan, but I do expect to have a sign in my rear window that says "Follow me to TDIfest2006" :)
 

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Location
Hingham, MA
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI 6spd // 2015 Bettle Conv. 6-Speed
SnowCub said:
I've been thinking, there's no way I'm getting up at the *ss crack of dawn. So I probably will not be joining the caravan, but I do expect to have a sign in my rear window that says "Follow me to TDIfest2006" :)
I'm sorry, but pulling out is not allowed! Getting to sturbridge by 9 hardly requires getting up at dawn!
 

SSTDI

Veteran Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Location
New Haven, CT
TDI
none :-(
E-Zpass anyone?

Please say that everyone has e-zpass!

I believe this is the list of caravaners so far:

cevans
Zippy_car
SSTDI
Robdesigns & BeetleGo
SnowCub? (you can do it!)
blue_jetta - maybe in NJ if the timing is right

Anyone else?
 
Top