TDIFest 2016 location discussion

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I know it won't happen, I'm just dreaming.

And speaking of dreaming, the local ones that already happen (Bora parts, HO5G, DanG, Lake Stevens, Growler ETC.) could be an opportunity to collect for donations to the site.

Sorry, for all of the other, annual ones that I didn't mention. Those are a few that thought off the top of my head.
As long as what happened with the Bay Area GTG doesn't happen with them.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Only due to government machinations was the 2014 event canceled at the last minute.
Still didn't happen and that had never happened...

In the old days there were 3-4 times more GTG's regionally Before PeterV got Married we we go all over the East Coast and Midwest to Regional small GTG's and it was great fun Pete kept a log and I believe it was 80 Plus GTG's in a few year period and we were both still working at that time

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still didn't happen and that had never happened...

In the old days there were 3-4 times more GTG's regionally Before PeterV got Married we we go all over the East Coast and Midwest to Regional small GTG's and it was great fun Pete kept a log and I believe it was 80 Plus GTG's in a few year period and we were both still working at that time
Except you implied that the reason there wasn't one in 2014 was due to nobody working to make it happen, which is incorrect. I would not blame the 2014 cancellation on the lack of volunteers as they had everything ready to go when they were sandbagged at literally the last second

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's true the number of GTGs has dropped dramatically in recent years. I used to go to them all over the place: Michigan, Wisconsin, St. Louis, Florida...even flew out to one in Portland one weekend. But now if you look at the regional forums there might be one a year in each of those areas.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's true the number of GTGs has dropped dramatically in recent years. I used to go to them all over the place: Michigan, Wisconsin, St. Louis, Florida...even flew out to one in Portland one weekend. But now if you look at the regional forums there might be one a year in each of those areas.
Yep, the Bay Area used to have two per year, Spring and Fall. But thanks to one a**hole from southern California, the venue can no longer be used.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Except you implied that the reason there wasn't one in 2014 was due to nobody working to make it happen, which is incorrect. I would not blame the 2014 cancellation on the lack of volunteers as they had everything ready to go when they were sandbagged at literally the last second
Whatever they had problems with there group also.....things are just different now a days

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Whatever they had problems with there group also.....things are just different now a days
Peoe say that a lot when they get old. Do you find that you wear your pants higher, or yell at the darn kids to get off your lawn, or cuss at people going so fast on the road?

You MAY be a geezer.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peoe say that a lot when they get old. Do you find that you wear your pants higher, or yell at the darn kids to get off your lawn, or cuss at people going so fast on the road?

You MAY be a geezer.
What if you still cuss at those going slower, or as happened to me today, those who decide to ignore the red light in the opposite left turn lane and go sailing through the intersection just as I enter it? :D

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
What exactly happened to cause the axing of the St. Louis Fest? I saw some mention of a law that led to a last minute cancellation, but never was privy to the details.

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ Package 1
Canadians not allowed? "central to everyone" would be in North Dakota, just a few miles from the international border.:rolleyes:
Well that wouldnt be fair to our members in Mexico now would it? Some of the largest event gatherings between our 3 countries are held in Oklahoma.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Well that wouldnt be fair to our members in Mexico now would it? Some of the largest event gatherings between our 3 countries are held in Oklahoma.
It's just as fair. Mexico IS part of the North American continent and IS considered in setting the geographic 'center' of North America in North Dakota.

I may be a geezer as well, but I am grateful to be in a generation that learned geography (math, grammer, spelling, etc.) in school.
No feel-good, "everyone gets a trophy" coddling for us.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
It's just as fair. Mexico IS part of the North American continent and IS considered in setting the geographic 'center' of North America in North Dakota.

I may be a geezer as well, but I am grateful to be in a generation that learned geography (math, grammer, spelling, etc.) in school.
No feel-good, "everyone gets a trophy" coddling for us.
Jon, you have a couple more years to wait before you can be called a Geezer. We have requirements in the Geezer group and you will just have to follow the rules.

Damn, just like all these youngsters who think they don't have to follow the rules.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I admit under the duress of shame I have never been to a GTG or a TDI Fest. I definitely want to go one very soon as my new 17/56 and .280 nozzles need a good workout.:)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
..scahfing down a pizzer while driving my Jetter in Wista.

Nah, that doesn't work to deflect that I did mis-spell the word grammar in #375.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
True. I wonder if it is just burn-out or changing demographics.
IMO, the demographics on this site are changing. The enthusiasts are less enthusiastic, and a larger percentage of the membership are appliance drivers than we used to have. The combination of these things makes it more difficult to find people who are willing to invest the time into a large community event.

It may be time to alter the Fest format to appeal to a broader base ... if people are interested in continuing to do it.

What exactly happened to cause the axing of the St. Louis Fest? I saw some mention of a law that led to a last minute cancellation, but never was privy to the details.
There were a number of things that contributed to the cancellation of the 2014 TDIFest, including financial and legal reasons. We worked through all of that stuff during the off year and were able to host a Fest again in 2015 - the big change was the transition to forum membership, which allows us a lot more flexibility with event structure.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
IMO, the demographics on this site are changing. The enthusiasts are less enthusiastic, and a larger percentage of the membership are appliance drivers than we used to have. The combination of these things makes it more difficult to find people who are willing to invest the time into a large community event.
I started this thread with full intention of putting in the work to make it happen in AZ. One thing that happened to me was some serious heath issues, since resolved. The second is that I didn't feel that the members cared to be in AZ over labor day. I am still willing to do the work, if there is a will to be here over labor day, let me know, times a wastin'...Mark

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It may be time to alter the Fest format to appeal to a broader base ... if people are interested in continuing to do it.
I think that is worthy of a new sticky thread. Do some spitballin'. Get some ideas for what definitely won't work, (Miami in August, Minnesota on New years day) and some ideas on what definitely will work, (long weekend, typically mild weather) and what folks would like to see. Start there and and see what happens. Hopefully someone can separate the ideas from the whining and name calling and put them together into a coherent list of ideas. Give the spitball thread a lifespan, then lock it and move onto some voting or something to get a feel of what the animals have to say.

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
New Years day in Minnesota

I think that is worthy of a new sticky thread. Do some spitballin'. Get some ideas for what definitely won't work, (Miami in August, Minnesota on New years day) and some ideas on what definitely will work, (long weekend, typically mild weather) and what folks would like to see. Start there and and see what happens. Hopefully someone can separate the ideas from the whining and name calling and put them together into a coherent list of ideas. Give the spitball thread a lifespan, then lock it and move onto some voting or something to get a feel of what the animals have to say.
Minnesota on New Years Day. Hmmm, we could rent the new stadium. Watch college football on the big screens. Controlled environment to keep our cars warm. Tailgate outside if we wanted.
But gosh darn it, I did not have the winning power ball ticket to pay for it.
But if I ever do! Watch out:D

Pomegranite

TDI
2011 Jetta Sport Wagon
Regarding Denver accommodations: At Cherry Creek Hilton Garden Inn, you can stay for about 120. per night, if you say the magic words which are like AAA discount or D.U. discount and one month ago the Courtyard by Marriott at Cherry Creek was 104. Denver sure is pretty.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It's worth noting that typically, when doing an event, you'd be negotiating a group rate along with use of the hotel conference facilities, rather than just each attendee specifying one-off discounts, as I understand.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
I suppose it would be unrealistic to for it to be in new england again this year.

Is there a rhyme/reason/pattern to choice of region other than possibly NOT repeating the same location year after year?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jay, it depends on who can put together a viable proposal and then make it work. Sometimes, like in 2014, everything is fine until the very last minute but then it comes crashing down.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I suppose it would be unrealistic to for it to be in new england again this year.

Is there a rhyme/reason/pattern to choice of region other than possibly NOT repeating the same location year after year?
No real pattern or reason other than the availability of planners.