TDIFest 2016 location discussion

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
hell yes. Have done it a few times in a couple different vehicles. It's fun....
Me too, on a few different sportbikes. I'd love to actually DRIVE it in my Golf. That's a beautiful area to visit as well :)

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Me too, on a few different sportbikes. I'd love to actually DRIVE it in my Golf. That's a beautiful area to visit as well :)
Just lovely. I was there right after that tornado hit the area a couple years back. I don't think I'd risk it on a sport bike.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
I would like to attend one in Belize or Alaska. Can we do a TDIClub Fest cruise? Something going through the Panama Canal would be nice, although probably a bit longer than we can fit into the Labor Day weekend. :D ;)
I'm in!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
*cough cough* THE DRAGON *cough cough*

I've done a lot of research on Pidgeon Forge, Chattanooga, and the surrounding area. Labor Day is peak season, and finding a reasonable hotel that is large enough with conference space and parking is very difficult. They can be had, but bookings must be made at least a year in advance - in many cases, two years in advance. Pricing is expensive, as well.

tbarnhart

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
My wife and I had a vacation/honeymoon this year and went and did the Dragon in the Golf. The best driving experience I've ever had. So much fun and the whole area has great roads not just the Dragon. If something like that is and option I wouldn't hesitate to look into Nashville as well. Only roughly 2 hours away via interstate. Plus they do club gatherings there all the time. That fest I would not miss.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
My wife and I had a vacation/honeymoon this year and went and did the Dragon in the Golf. The best driving experience I've ever had. So much fun and the whole area has great roads not just the Dragon. If something like that is and option I wouldn't hesitate to look into Nashville as well. Only roughly 2 hours away via interstate. Plus they do club gatherings there all the time. That fest I would not miss.
Two thumbs up from my wife on nashville :).

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Nashvegas is cool...but for us West Coasters, I like the So-Cal idea. I'd love to put together a proposal for Lake Tahoe..and probably will. Really need to put traction behind the idea and grab some friends for help.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Nashvegas is cool...but for us West Coasters, I like the So-Cal idea. I'd love to put together a proposal for Lake Tahoe..and probably will. Really need to put traction behind the idea and grab some friends for help.
You can count me in to help work on any TDIFest within a one day drive of Las Vegas. Las Vegas and Phoenix are far to hot at Labor day, but Tahoe, San Diego, Utah, or Colorado, even Flagstaff or Albuquerque could work. I have missed the last few fests due to the distance, my job, etc. However, I would really like to see one out west somewhere.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I did make it to the Lexington, KY fest because I am also an Ohio transplant. As for loving it - I like my job, it is Vegas, what else can I say.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Left Coast is a no go for me.....no want need or desire to go there.....
But the trip in between is so amazing! So many amazing national parks, incredible scenery, history out the wazoo. It's really cool.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Left Coast is a no go for me.....no want need or desire to go there.....
Well, not too many members from west of the Mississippi make it to the Maine and other East Coast TDIFests. Yes, the Pacific Coast is a long drive from the Atlantic Coast. (I have done it a couple of times also). BUT, there are TDI Club members not on the East Coast - maybe time for the Fest to revisit the Pacific Ocean after 6 years? The Portland Fest had a larger turnout than the 2015 Maine Fest by 20%.

The key is will we get a group together to propose a Fest on the West Coast?

See this post:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=447777

Anyone who wants to be a part of trying to put on a So Cal TDIFest should post there.

Last edited:

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
You can count me in to help work on any TDIFest within a one day drive of Las Vegas. Las Vegas and Phoenix are far to hot at Labor day, but Tahoe, San Diego, Utah, or Colorado, even Flagstaff or Albuquerque could work. I have missed the last few fests due to the distance, my job, etc. However, I would really like to see one out west somewhere.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I did make it to the Lexington, KY fest because I am also an Ohio transplant. As for loving it - I like my job, it is Vegas, what else can I say.
I love it for the most part. The cost of living out here is OBSCENE...but I know I know..my choice to live here.

I'm down to help but will be busy and not necessarily always available for phone calls, etc.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Well, not too many members from west of the Mississippi make it to the Maine and other East Coast TDIFests. Yes, the Pacific Coast is a long drive from the Atlantic Coast. (I have done it a couple of times also). BUT, there are TDI Club members not on the East Coast - maybe time for the Fest to revisit the Pacific Ocean after 6 years? The Portland Fest had a larger turnout than the 2015 Maine Fest by 20%.

The key is will we get a group together to propose a Fest on the West Coast?

See this post:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=447777

Anyone who wants to be a part of trying to put on a So Cal TDIFest should post there.
I have been to every Fest except 2, Utah and Oregon.......now one else here on the Club can say that with the exception on the 3 Folks that have been to every one and one of them with the same car to every Fest

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Bend would be great, but I haven't suggested it. Why? Because I wouldn't be able to do the work to make it happen.
That doesn't seem to have stopped anyone else. Also, are you prepared to host Oklahoma? ;)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
The title of the thread needs to be changed to a Sturgeon Bay, WI TDIFest instead of Green Bay, since I'm working on putting together pricing for a 60 room hotel and restaurant, so the entire 12 acre facility could be rented out. Along with the 14 room Snug Harbor Inn literally right across from The Lodge and there's a marina across the street from The Lodge and next to Snug Harbor Inn for you fisherman and boaters.:)

Here's the thread I started on having a Sturgeon Bay, WI TDIFest for 2016.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=447217

I'm even working on getting a mobile dyno to come to TDIFest for everyone to see what kind of power they're putting down.;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
60 rooms isn't enough.....
60 rooms could work. There are two other great overflow candidates nearby, as well; one directly across the street, and one a quarter mile down the road.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
2009 in Dulles, VA: 279 registered attendees, about 90 hotel rooms sold, about 270 room-nights, on-site food sales exceeding $10,000.

2012 in Ypsilanti, MI: 200 registered attendees, 78 hotel rooms sold, about 225 room-nights, on-site food sales around $8,500.

2013 at Sunday River, ME: 166 registered attendees, about 65 hotel rooms sold, about 195 room-nights, on-site food sales around $8,000.

2015 at Sunday River, ME: 125 registered attendees, about 45 hotel rooms sold, about 130 room-nights, on-site food sales around $7,500.

These are the big numbers when it comes to hotels - how many rooms are you filling, and how much food are you selling? Food sales drive complimentary conference space and room rates.

I would expect San Diego to have a response similar to 2013 or 2015, Northern California and Wisconsin to both be similar to 2012. I would expect somewhere central like St. Louis to meet or exceed 2009.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I don't know, as I didn't play a part in organizing either of those.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
60 rooms could work. There are two other great overflow candidates nearby, as well; one directly across the street, and one a quarter mile down the road.
Exactly, there are 60 at The Lodge http://www.thelodgeatls.com/

Then 14 directly across the street at Snug Harbor Inn http://snugharborinn.com/

Then as VeeDubTDI mentioned there is Stone Harbor a super nice hotel a mile from The Lodge and I know the owners of all 3 places.:D
http://www.stoneharbor-resort.com/

My Dad even mentioned for those that wanna camp out could do so in our 2 open lots behind our house, since The Lodge isn't permitted to have camping at their property :( Our house is a little over a mile from The Lodge.
There are actual camp grounds of course too. lol I posted the options in my thread.

There are a fair number of activities to do up in the area from boating, fishing, camping, site seeing fish boils, charter fishing, 250 miles of shoreline with some very nice sandy beaches, segway tours, shops, antique stores, etc. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. lol

I should have prices on rooms next week some time.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Exactly, there are 60 at The Lodge http://www.thelodgeatls.com/
Then 14 directly across the street at Snug Harbor Inn http://snugharborinn.com/
Then as VeeDubTDI mentioned there is Stone Harbor a super nice hotel a mile from The Lodge and I know the owners of all 3 places.:D
http://www.stoneharbor-resort.com/
My Dad even mentioned for those that wanna camp out could do so in our 2 open lots behind our house, since The Lodge isn't permitted to have camping at their property :( Our house is a little over a mile from The Lodge.
There are actual camp grounds of course too. lol I posted the options in my thread.
There are a fair number of activities to do up in the area from boating, fishing, camping, site seeing fish boils, charter fishing, 250 miles of shoreline with some very nice sandy beaches, segway tours, shops, antique stores, etc. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. lol
I should have prices on rooms next week some time.

"If i can get a dessert down him, think you can throw in a couple of Paul Bunyan hat's for the kids?"