TDIFest 2016 location discussion

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Hope the western group has a great TDIFest next year! I thoroughly enjoyed the one in Maine this year, and will attend the next one that is near the east coast :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I will drive to the Fest if it's in WI but will not if it's in CA, just too much time away from work.
That reason applies to a lot of westerners; it is ironic that easterners expect those out west to still attend events back there. :D

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
That reason applies to a lot of westerners; it is ironic that easterners expect those out west to still attend events back there. :D
No they don't. They just like having a good event near them most of the time!!! They have a good time with out you/us!!

Seriously, wishing and hoping will not get a Fest where people want it. It takes some workers willing to put a bit of time into planning and leg work to put a bid together. Anyone interested in participating in the planning and leg work for a SoCal/San Diego Fest in 2016 should p.m. me. We still need a few more workers to put it together.

Then all the fishing people can spend some time on a one day boat out of Point Loma and maybe bring home a marlin for a real trophy.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I know no easterners who expect this and don't blame them for not attending in Maine, which is about as rural as it gets with respect to the country (unless Alaska/Hawaii hosts one).

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I will drive to the Fest if it's in WI but will not if it's in CA, just too much time away from work.
Even though it's too much time away from work it's often not long enough away from work...

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I have done the cross country vacation thing at least 3 times in the last 5 years. Once we flew to Boston, rented a car for our tour. then fly back home from Boston or DC.
Another time we too about 24 days and drove both ways. Included parts or Route 66 so that was a kick.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I brought that up a while ago, but, no one bit on it. Run up and check out the Aspens off HWY 6/ HWY 119!! Beautiful scenery, fun winding roads. Pretty central. Lot's to do.

just say'n ;)
That's the problem. Lots of people keep "say'n", but nobody is willing to start "do'n". I would love to see a fest in Colorado, but first we need a group of people willing to plan, organize, and run the fest. If you are interested, feel free to join in the 2017 TDIFest planning thread and start a planning committee. It is probably too late to be thinking about the 2016 TDIFest.

Have Fun!

Don

Lug_Nut

TDI
It'd be a shame for the fest to become a biennial (or less frequent) event.
I'm still hopeful for a '16, somewhere, anywhere.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
It'd be a shame for the fest to become a biennial (or less frequent) event.
I'm still hopeful for a '16, somewhere, anywhere.
I'm receiving help from both the proposed hotel and VeeDubTDI to hopefully host TDIFest in Sturgeon Bay, WI

It's that or San Diego;)

Turn that frown upside down;) With the right support I'm think the Sturgeon Bay area will be a hit, if things fall into place.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Sturgeon Bay, WI would be a really neat location. Beautiful area !!!

Remember, Door County, Wisconsin is the Nantucket of the Midwest.

There are quite a few Wisconsin and some Illinois TDI members / owners that may be able to assist you with this huge endeavor.

Hotels and Motels will be your biggest concern as this is a big tourist area , therefore an arrangement with a few hotels in the Door County Peninsula would need to be secured.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
There once was a man from Door County,
His......

Nope, definitely NOT the same as Nantucket.

Who wished to become a Mountie.

They said, shut your mouth,

You live too far south

Now leave before your head has a bounty.

Yeah. Definitely not the same.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
His......

Nope, definitely NOT the same as Nantucket.
Not Rockport or Kennebunkport either, but still a very beautiful area that is centrally located in the middle of the country.

I think it would be a great location provided the Door County tourism machine and business chambers of commerce can assist with some of the work. Plenty of wide open spaces and things to do.

The county fairgrounds in Sturgeon Bay has plenty of room for events / cars.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Not Rockport or Kennebunkport either, but still a very beautiful area that is centrally located in the middle of the country.

I think it would be a great location provided the Door County tourism machine and business chambers of commerce can assist with some of the work. Plenty of wide open spaces and things to do.

The county fairgrounds in Sturgeon Bay has plenty of room for events / cars.
If you want to check out the facility that TDIFest will hopefully be held at here's a link to their site. http://www.thelodgeatls.com/

They have 13 acres to work with.:)

The link to my thread about a Sturgeon Bay, WI TDIFest. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=447217

I'm going to call again to my contact at the Sturgeon Bay Tourism Bureau and see what they would be able to help with. I called the Monday before Thanksgiving, so not the best timing.;)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
San Diego 2016 TDIFest bid is over

The San Diego/SoCal bid for the 2016 TDIFest is over for me. Simply not able to put together a group of 6-7 local volunteers needed to divide up the required planning work. Want to express my thanks to those who did volunteer.

For those of you looking to plan a TDIFest bid, I suggest you need/want to start early for 2017. Local convention/visitor authority are a great assistance in putting together a venue and getting a great price. San Diego had several May/June that could have been booked.

For those of you wishing and hoping for a TDIFest, you need to step up and volunteer to assist. Many hands make small work.

Lug_Nut

TDI
J.J, That's unfortunate. Thank you for the effort you put into the proposal of S-D as a possible site. I'd not have missed it.

Raweaver_410

TDI
Mk4 Silver Golf TDI 5spd, Mk4 Red 2.0 Jetta Auto, Mk2 Blue Diesel Jetta 5spd, Mk1 Sandy Diesel Jetta 5spd
Looking forward to attending my first tdifest! been a member for a while lost my login info just got it back haha. Waiting to see where the location is so I can coordinate my vaca days. :D

Rx Burner

TDI
Q7 S line Plus
How about FL or Georgia frest? We had a "Wanna go fast" event here in Ocala,FL last year that was a big hit. I could look into it for a future event in central Florida

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
How about FL or Georgia frest? We had a "Wanna go fast" event here in Ocala,FL last year that was a big hit. I could look into it for a future event in central Florida
One thing to keep in mind is the weather. I'm sure it would be a cool place, but it's on Labor Day weekend, so what is the weather like then? Not everyone enjoys standing around in 95 degree heat and 95% humidity. Maybe something to consider for that area is misting booths.

Just a thought or two.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry, but you won't catch me anywhere in Florida in August or September. or Georgia, for that matter. I had a conversation with Fred about having the Fest at a different time of year to favor southern locations, and he was willing to discuss it.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Me neither.....the 1st Fest ever held was in Wilmington NC in September between hot humid storms the weather sucked......I hate hot and humid!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
So what about a Halloween(ish) or Spring Break Fest? Is that early enough or late enough to avoid the hot/humid? If you do it while the kids are still in school and not on vacation, then we wouldn't have to put up with the whining and crying and whimpering and yelling from the parents.