TDIFest 2014 -Looking for Expressions of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Note that the ALH only takes atmospheric readings when you first turn on the ignition, so there is no live altitude compensation as you drive. Good practice might be to turn off and restart the engine when you get into high altitude.

(At least that's my understanding of it...)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The TDIfest 2001 in Park City had 3 FAILED turbos. Now these were ALH cars.

And "back in the day" I had an Upsolute tune & .205 Injs. I did take it easy over the Mtns out and back, I had no problems.

From past reports those that did have probs 2 were driving aggressively. The third was a NB that failed on the way home. Dang it I remember those facts but can't remember breakfast!

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Barometric readings

Note that the ALH only takes atmospheric readings when you first turn on the ignition, so there is no live altitude compensation as you drive. Good practice might be to turn off and restart the engine when you get into high altitude.

Thanks Lawson I now remember that idea.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I'm happy to continue with the TDIFest efforts, as are a number of other people.
I have mixed feelings about that.
One one hand are those complaining that the same 'clique' is always running the fests, so they don't feel wanted / needed, while others are content to sit by and let those that have organized previously, do yet another event

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I'm deliberately trying to goad those that haven't organized an event into proposing one so that the same group that have run events in the past aren't hurriedly pressed into rush mode for next year because no other group has.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
As long as the tune is set up to adjust for altitudes and you don't do anything too aggressive I would think you'd be fine. But I will tell you we ship a lot of BEW replacement turbos to Colorado. Stock or tuned, it doesn't seem to matter.

Hmmm, maybe I should avoid going through Colorado and stick with the southern route if I ever again drive across the country, or even going to Tahoe. :D

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02

All TDI ecu have atmospheric pressure sensor Inside, you dont need reset the ecu when you rise in altitude.
At de top of Mt-Washington, i take picture of Vagcom...
970 to 1050milibar at sea level, 795milibar at the top!

http://www.dieseleux.torquedelight.com/TDIFest%202013/DSC00489.JPG.php

The pressure drop aprox by 10% per 1000 meter, this is rule of thumb.

Dieseleux

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I have mixed feelings about that.
One one hand are those complaining that the same 'clique' is always running the fests, so they don't feel wanted / needed, while others are content to sit by and let those that have organized previously, do yet another event
I agree but isn't that going to happen in any organization? There are a lot of people - myself included - that cannot plan much of anything. But on the other hand they are pretty good at assigned tasks. The reason I posted a list of questions a few pages back was to find out a little bit more of what's involved in the committee/planning/feet on the ground work.

The few that take the reigns and run with event planning are usually very good at what they do. And the rest of us - no one want to go to a Fest (dis)organized the way I would do it. And for those that complain about it being a 'clique'... It's on each individual to get involved in the way that they desire to and are able to.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Some of those that have been instrumental in organizing the past several fests have 'day jobs' doing pretty much the same. It has been a huge benefit to have been able to make use of this expertise in our little weekend. It just that I don't want us to go-to-the-well once too often and imply that there is an expectation that these pros will bail us out.
I also have heard grumbling from several members about a nebulous, self-select group "running" TDIClub. I want to assure those with similar opinions that they can help guide the club if they get involved.
So, PLEASE, put together your proposal, submit a basic outline, identify others that have similar desires that can commit to helping, and let's resume having competing proposals.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I also have heard grumbling from several members about a nebulous, self-select group "running" TDIClub. I want to assure those with similar opinions that they can help guide the club if they get involved.
To compliment these people, these people are also some of the most involved, most hard working club members who are dedicating lots & lots of time to this. If others were putting in as much time they too would be part of the nebulous extraordinaire.

ClutchKargo

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI
Just throwing this out there......I'm an old member getting ready to get back into the TDI world. So how about the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. Tons of hotels, restaurants, place to go, brand new convention center and plenty more for endless activities. They (tourist association) host quite a few GTG's like TDIclub Fest and I'm sure they would love the influx of members.

Smoky Mountains, Cherokee NC, Tail of the Dragon US129 are all within an hour or so drive.

Good to be back soon at the Diesel pumps,
Clutch

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just throwing this out there......I'm an old member getting ready to get back into the TDI world. So how about the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. Tons of hotels, restaurants, place to go, brand new convention center and plenty more for endless activities. They (tourist association) host quite a few GTG's like TDIclub Fest and I'm sure they would love the influx of members.

Smoky Mountains, Cherokee NC, Tail of the Dragon US129 are all within an hour or so drive.

Good to be back soon at the Diesel pumps,
Clutch
I spent several months looking into that area specifically. It's peak season for tourism and good deals on hotels must be booked at least a year in advance, particularly for large groups like us. It would be a great location, but will require a lot of advance planning in order to pull it off.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Not gonna lie, when I first joined the club I felt the same way. But people need to realize that this club has been around for, what, nearly 2 decades? So there are groups of people that know each other. Seems like the same people who run the fest also run the forum. Look at the moderators and its the same people who are most active at fest. It makes sense simply because those are the ones that are most invested in the success of the club, and also are the most obsessed.:D

I personally would love to have more involvement in the forum running operation and have mentioned it from time to time on different locations around here. But I guess my services aren't needed yet. I just know when there is a lull and people are tired of checking tdiclub.com they will look for people to take over the reigns.

So yeah, there are definitely little groups within the club but if people show initiative, I have never seen them discredited.

I'd like a fest in St. Louis, but I wouldn't be able to do it by myself. And I know Oilhammer and Dozenspeed are pretty busy people with busy schedules.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
It does seem to me that a fest in St. Louis is far away from gelling, but IF a strong team lead is formed into contention, I hereby would commit to supporting it by devoting substancial time to creating, coordinating and running a unique, family-friendly TDI-driving activity I've formed in my head that I think of as a live-action variant of our Picture Hunt Scavenger Game. I'm confident I have it fairly well thought out and can sell it to the TDI elders.

I do not want to be the leader per se but would be proud to take part of a competant brigade. I just don't have enough familarity in the standards and expections of Fests to promise more than that, so for now I'm standing by in the wings, ready to be called upon if desired.

I made one previous effort investigating a venue that simply fizzled, and only just now have thought of another possible venue of appeal that is making me reconsider trying again during the writing of this sentance.

The big fear about it being here is our wacky weather, but as it is still unusually hot here today this year, chances are next labor day will be gorgeous. :rolleyes:

I really would enjoy contributing in this way, and think my local knowledge, experience and interests would be ideal for the activity I have in mind.

Sincerely,
Dozenspeed

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think TDIClub is different from any other in that there's a core group of people who are involved, committed, and donate their time and energy to running the forums and making events happen. If I'm not mistaken there were not many forum moderators on the Fest planning committee, not that it matters, IMO. I was involved in the '07 Fest Planning but folks were uncomfortable with a vendor taking an active role in Fest planning, so I've stuck to donating items for the Fest since then.

Waiting to be asked to help probably isn't going to work. If you want to help out with a Fest put a team together and generate a proposal, or get involved with folks who are. I don't think anyone will turn you away.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Not gonna lie, when I first joined the club I felt the same way. But people need to realize that this club has been around for, what, nearly 2 decades? So there are groups of people that know each other. Seems like the same people who run the fest also run the forum. Look at the moderators and its the same people who are most active at fest. It makes sense simply because those are the ones that are most invested in the success of the club, and also are the most obsessed.:D

I personally would love to have more involvement in the forum running operation and have mentioned it from time to time on different locations around here. But I guess my services aren't needed yet. I just know when there is a lull and people are tired of checking tdiclub.com they will look for people to take over the reigns.

So yeah, there are definitely little groups within the club but if people show initiative, I have never seen them discredited.

I'd like a fest in St. Louis, but I wouldn't be able to do it by myself. And I know Oilhammer and Dozenspeed are pretty busy people with busy schedules.
There are more people in the background than you realize for the fest and site. Yes they have been around the site for a long time, they know what works and what doesn't and how Fred likes things to run. They do it to support Fred and the site. Which we all know is a special place. It takes time to earn your stripes that all.It's not about power or egos.​

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Dozenspeed, all yo need is 2 or 3 locals that can divvy up some of the requirements for finding a place, figuring out the local flair thing (which you seem to have taken care of with your driving scavenger hunt) and getting local business involvement for donations, swag, coupons etc.

there is already a group of people on the club who know the ins and outs of running a fest and are more than willing to impart their knowledge to others to spread out that workload and are willing to help as needed at the actual fest.

between you, and TomJD and perhaps one other Local, I don't see a reason why a ST Louis fest cannot happen. you guys just have to get together, come up with a plan for some local flair, a location or two to inspect for space requirements, and a list of local dealerships and businesses to hit up and guilt into making swag donations or even coupons etc. the basic fest schedule is pretty well set of friday meet N greet, saturday morning breakfast/speaker, more speakers for saturday, the afternoon fun drive local event etc, sunday show N shine with possible more local things happening, the live auction and dinner banquet. vendor stuff thruout the weekend, and raffle. this seems to have worked for the fests I have been to.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
It does seem to me that a fest in St. Louis is far away from gelling, but IF a strong team lead is formed into contention, I hereby would commit to supporting it by devoting substancial time to creating, coordinating and running a unique, family-friendly TDI-driving activity I've formed in my head that I think of as a live-action variant of our Picture Hunt Scavenger Game. I'm confident I have it fairly well thought out and can sell it to the TDI elders.

I do not want to be the leader per se but would be proud to take part of a competant brigade. I just don't have enough familarity in the standards and expections of Fests to promise more than that, so for now I'm standing by in the wings, ready to be called upon if desired.

I made one previous effort investigating a venue that simply fizzled, and only just now have thought of another possible venue of appeal that is making me reconsider trying again during the writing of this sentance.

The big fear about it being here is our wacky weather, but as it is still unusually hot here today this year, chances are next labor day will be gorgeous. :rolleyes:

I really would enjoy contributing in this way, and think my local knowledge, experience and interests would be ideal for the activity I have in mind.

Sincerely,
Dozenspeed

There is no selling of a venue:), Put it on paper is the first start:). Example Were is location of the hotel how is far from a airport and highways. What the size of the parking lot could we use. What does the hotel offer like internet, pool, banquet rooms and so on. What other actives are there to do around the area.

I been to thee fest and did volunteer work for two of them. This year went up there early to help set up for the fest. I learn a lot of what needs to be done for the set up for the fest. This would help to see how a fest runs. The group would not run ever thing, there are some jobs that are done by the elders.

Lug_Nut

TDI
I just don't have enough familarity in the standards and expectations of Fests to promise more than that,.....
There are more people in the background than you realize for the fest and site. Yes they have been around the site for a long time, they know what works and what doesn't and how Fred likes things to run. They do it to support Fred and the site.​

The groups that have been chosen to host the fest are free to do what the venue can best provide. There is no formula cast in stone for any of this. By all means, if a location lends itself to something different, then not doing that different thing would be a shameful waste.
Standards? Not really. There will inevitably be comparisons to other events, whether 'fest, or H2OI, or an all makes event, but being different isn't bad, Not doing something well will be remembered, and not fondly.
Expectations? There isn't a 'script' that is expected to be followed. There are the beginnings of traditions, but nothing is mandated. Not the time of year, location, events,..... EVERYTHING, whether a new idea, or neo-traditional, should be re-evaluated for suitability for the event being planned. It really doesn't matter how things were done before.
Just do whatever you decide to do with a high level of professionalism.

<editorial opinion>
The fests have been held as a way of thanking Fred for his dedication to keeping us with blistered typing fingers, sleep deprived eyes looking out for the boss as we bang away on the keys at work, ( as if we couldn't get enough TDI last night....:rolleyes: ). I personally think that "...how Fred likes things to run" shouldn't be a consideration. The fest is a gift to him (and his wife and family). He shouldn't be any more than an honored guest and shouldn't be expected to 'run' anything at the fest. He spends 360+ days a year placating us, let him have a vacation, too. And if he chooses to NOT spend it with us, I have full understanding of reasons for such a decision.
(then there will just be just PeterV's 13 consecutive streak to deal with... Muuu-haaaa-haaaa!)
<editorial is over>

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I've done it twice - in my Miata! I wouldn't want to take the Jetta through The Corkscrew though.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
The talk about the 'Fest as a gift to Fred and other talk about how the 'Fest pays for the site to run without ads got me thinking...

What is the fundraising goal of the 'Fest? How much money does the 'Fest need to raise in order to pay for another year of the site without ads? How much money does the 'Fest typically raise and what is done to cover any deficit and/or what is done with any surplus?

It seems to me that between the registration fees, the raffles and the auction that I saw at the Lexington 'Fest that more than enough funds would have been raised to pay for the site for a year, but I don't know how much it costs or how much was raised...

MonsterTDI09

TDI
The talk about the 'Fest as a gift to Fred and other talk about how the 'Fest pays for the site to run without ads got me thinking...

What is the fundraising goal of the 'Fest? How much money does the 'Fest need to raise in order to pay for another year of the site without ads? How much money does the 'Fest typically raise and what is done to cover any deficit and/or what is done with any surplus?

It seems to me that between the registration fees, the raffles and the auction that I saw at the Lexington 'Fest that more than enough funds would have been raised to pay for the site for a year, but I don't know how much it costs or how much was raised...
It's not what you think. I think he means as a gift, as in spend time with his family. By the why the site is not his full time job. There is no funny business going here.

It would be a good idea to drop it. A apology would be nice to:)

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
I didn't take Chris' query that way at all. I think there is is genuine interest in knowing how much time and effort and expense is spent on a "free" web site.
I don't know. I can imagine, but I don't know. I know that I personally haven't the time, nor inclination, and particularly not the funding.

There has lately been 'seed' money offered to the organizers of the fest to cover initial deposits and such. Almost all of the fests have run 'in-the-black'....almost all,... Those that cost more to run than they were able to raise meant a lean year for the club.
I do know that I was sweating in 2004 as the guarantees I had put on my own credit card didn't look like they'd be met by slow registrations as the date drew closer.

Deficits result in postponement of upgraded servers, back-up systems, and had resulted in relatively frequent lack of access due to break-downs.
Surpluses are spent on us, newer faster, more reliable servers, better professional management of the systems, better anti-virus and anti-spam, and hopefully some seed money to kick-start the next year's organizing group.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

I don't know and don't need to know. My perception is that Fred runs this site as frugally as he can and still meet standards for speed, access, backup, and so on. As Lug_Nut mentioned, this is not his job, nor do I believe he makes any money from the work he does. But whether he does or not really doesn't matter to me. I'm happy to contribute what we can, and if I catch wind that things are a bit tight (not that anyone would explicitly say that) we donate more. For me some things are better off left a bit vague. I think having an explicit fund raising target would take some of of the fun out of the Fest. It's a luxury to not have the pressure a goal would place on the event.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I know part of the financial situation, but it's not my place to share.

TDIClub continues to grow every year and the operating budget isn't getting any smaller. I will say that the past few Fests have done well for us, thanks to all of our generous members and vendors.

Jon summed things up very nicely. Thank you! :)

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
It's not what you think. I think he means as a gift, as in spend time with his family. By the why the site is not his full time job. There is no funny business going here.

It would be a good idea to drop it. A apology would be nice to:)
Apologize for what? There are tons of posts that say the 'Fest pays for the site and tons of posts that say how great it is that the site does not have ads so for anyone considering having something to do with an upcoming 'Fest why wouldn't figures be a valid concern. This site is a popular site and a great source of info and there are no membership fees, if it can be run that way and make a profit that is pretty cool!!! If it runs in the red and gets funded out of someone's pocket that's not so good for that person...

I didn't take Chris' query that way at all. I think there is is genuine interest in knowing how much time and effort and expense is spent on a "free" web site.
I don't know. I can imagine, but I don't know. I know that I personally haven't the time, nor inclination, and particularly not the funding.

There has lately been 'seed' money offered to the organizers of the fest to cover initial deposits and such. Almost all of the fests have run 'in-the-black'....almost all,... Those that cost more to run than they were able to raise meant a lean year for the club.
I do know that I was sweating in 2004 as the guarantees I had put on my own credit card didn't look like they'd be met by slow registrations as the date drew closer.

Deficits result in postponement of upgraded servers, back-up systems, and had resulted in relatively frequent lack of access due to break-downs.
Surpluses are spent on us, newer faster, more reliable servers, better professional management of the systems, better anti-virus and anti-spam, and hopefully some seed money to kick-start the next year's organizing group.
Thanks,

I don't/haven't done any web services like this at all so I have no idea how much it costs or if the servers are owned/rented or whatever... It would be a bummer to have a 'Fest come up short, I'm sure they at least cover their own expenses (I HOPE) and are able to give something to the site each year...

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Apologize for what? There are tons of posts that say the 'Fest pays for the site and tons of posts that say how great it is that the site does not have ads so for anyone considering having something to do with an upcoming 'Fest why wouldn't figures be a valid concern. This site is a popular site and a great source of info and there are no membership fees, if it can be run that way and make a profit that is pretty cool!!! If it runs in the red and gets funded out of someone's pocket that's not so good for that person...

Chris It's not about the money. Fred doesn't have answer to nobody, is the bottom line. If you support how he runs his site make a donation. It's great feeling you come to site were no company can dictated what can be said or not said about there product.

Now drop it please.

Status
Not open for further replies.