TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Great day today and a really good turn out!

Still awake catching up on PMs and general inquiries.

See you all in the morning!

(stupid finger)

More pics tomorrow - from the roof top, too. :)

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
I'm starting to get excited! Leaving at 4am tomorrow from Muskoka, Ontario to meet up with Jeff and chat with a few of y'all. How many people were there today?

TheTDIWagonGuy

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Black 2003 Bora Wagon TDI
Well, I was turned back at the border. Apparently I was going to work in the US..... It seems that the border officers can come to any conclusion without justification.. Wasn't happy. Hope everyone is having a good time.

TDI
2003 Jetta
This was my first time attending the fest, It was awesome! Do any of the local members who helped organize this years event get together other times throughout the year? I know there are several members from near Ann Arbor, I live and work in the area. I'd be interested in meeting up sometime with any other SE Michigan area members.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Home at 7:30am this morning. Almost the exact same time and distance in both directions. Thanks VERY much to all the organizers and everyone who put this year's Fest together. It was a fantastic time. Good to see old friends and meet new ones. Thanks too for the vendors who donated the raffle items.

Thanks to Jeff of RocketChip for all the tuning work. The car is really like a DC motor now with a minimum of smoke (none at all this morning with the OAT at 60 F).

26 hours and 1765 miles. 45 MPG on the way out and I forgot on the way back to look as I was pretty tired.

Hope everyone had a good time and gets home safely.

Steve

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well, I was turned back at the border. Apparently I was going to work in the US..... It seems that the border officers can come to any conclusion without justification.. Wasn't happy. Hope everyone is having a good time.
That's a real stinker! I'll be sure to ship your goody bag to you.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
This was my first time attending the fest, It was awesome! Do any of the local members who helped organize this years event get together other times throughout the year? I know there are several members from near Ann Arbor, I live and work in the area. I'd be interested in meeting up sometime with any other SE Michigan area members.
Several of us will be back for our annual Detroit Auto Show GTG in the middle of January. :cool: I think we had 40 people last year - expecting more this year.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Home at 1:30 today. Left at 6, couple stops.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Several of us will be back for our annual Detroit Auto Show GTG in the middle of January. :cool: I think we had 40 people last year - expecting more this year.
It's a good time! I found out about it at the last minute, but still had a blast. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Got home at 7:00, exactly 13 hours after leaving the Fest. Drove 1788 miles in 28 hours total, MFI showing 46.5 MPG for the trip, 49.1 on the current tank. Lots of cars on the road, I didn't use cruise at all from Buffalo to Albany, but made good time nevertheless, averaging 71 MPH today. I think the '12 Golf is a keeper. One thing I found odd: When I pulled into the driveway after 13 hours of driving in excess of 70 MPH it was in active regen. :confused:

We had an excellent time. It was a pleasure to see old friends and put new faces with names and voices we talk with on the phone. Great location, good weather, and the event was beautifully organized and run. Thanks so much, Fest committee.

Can't wait for next year!

Last edited:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
The V's are in Balto for the 2nd half of the trip home. We got in about the same time as Tomo ...... I wonder why. We caravand most of the way.

Great job on this fest. All the hard work is appreciated.

P&J

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Our trip was about 9hrs,hit some rain and light traffic.We also passed Brussels Belgian driving at 55 with the windows open:D.

We had a great time :).The organizers did a great job this year.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Made it home ~1:30 this afternoon, left at 8:00 AM and stopped a couple times.

A very well run/organized event - Plenty of activities, good balance between scheduled events and free time to do what you want, excellent vendor support both on site and via donations to auction/raffle. A huge thanks to everyone who put all the work in for months prior to make it seem so easy and smooth during the event.

It's great to put faces with forum names as well as see familair faces again.

99.5GOlf

TDI
1999.5 Golf
Amazing First Fest! I couldn't have asked for more. Here's hoping I spread my good luck to everyone else at the raffle next year!
Thanks to all the organizers and Jeff (RocketChip) for tuning my car. I'm ready for next year already! :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just got home! Had to detour down US 220 to I 68 because I 70 was closed at the PA/MD border all evening. There were some torrential downpours in Ohio but otherwise we had a good trip.

Thanks again to all of the volunteers and attendees who made this year AWESOME!! :D

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I broke up my trip home. Going through Ontario, n8ronJ and I maintained about 100 kph until the QEW. That's when we saw Mr. Chill go by us at 130 kph, so we kept up with him for several kilometers. I felt like I was driving in Deutschland again. n8ronJ took the Lewiston (wrong) Bridge into the U.S. (can't read delay signs???), I took the Rainbow Bridge (nice view of the Falls), and Chill went toward the Peace Bridge. Stopped at my aunt and uncle's place south of Rochester for the night, and then got home early Tuesday afternoon in time to spend 3 hours on the lawn mower (Ugh!)

I had a great time at my first TDI Fest, and can envision my going to future fests. It was an honor to get second place in the Show-n-Shine modified category. Fred told me I was beat by one point by Sprocket's 2005 Passat TDI. He deserved it! Beautiful Passat. Maybe if I had that LSD installed I could have garnered those two extra points. Next fest.

I got 56.0 mpg on the way to the fest. I expect to have achieved even better on the trip home, as my fuel gauge was at the "half" mark at 677 miles. Outstanding!!! I'll fill up when the "orange light of love" comes on; hoping to surpass 900 miles on this tank.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All I know is, between that ALH-powered Vanagon, the AHU-powered A2 GTI, and that A6 avant TDI, my weiner is sore. ;)

Anyone notice there were not any new Jetta sedans present? :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Corey and I were talking on the way home about the absence of MKVI Jetta sedans. I saw one white one in the parking lot and that was it. I think it bears out the hypothesis that new Jetta sedans are not purchased as often by VW die-hards.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Actually, I remember seeing one of the Green Taxis was a current Jetta TDI sedan. Along with a few Priuses. :p

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I had a great first Fest!! Especially after taking home the 1st place trophy for the Radical class! Thank you to everyone for making it such a great weekend, and all the kind words! It makes all the hardwork and late nights well worth it! Now I have to try and deflate my head, I have been floating around on cloud 9!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Just got home! Had to detour down US 220 to I 68 because I 70 was closed at the PA/MD border all evening. There were some torrential downpours in Ohio but otherwise we had a good trip.

Thanks again to all of the volunteers and attendees who made this year AWESOME!! :D
Got home about 1:30 this (Wednesday) morning. Did a detour by Oilhammer's to get serviced, skid plate and FrostHeater installed. Would have been home earlier except for this. I hit it about 9pm.
NORWICH -- A portion of Interstate 70 in eastern Muskingum County was closed for nearly 11 hours beginning Tuesday afternoon following a two-vehicle accident that resulted in a tractor-trailer overturning along the highway.
Fortunately after spending an hour creeping along for about 5 miles I could jump off onto US-40 and take it to I-77 and back down to I-70. Road was clear at that point, still it slowed me down by about 1.5 hours.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I am also still floating in the Clouds!! I never in my dreams Thought I would win Best-In-Show I thought I had a chance to win OEM+ because I worked my butt off on the car the week before!! It has never looked as good as it did this weekend!! Love This car and this group of Folks!!! Thanks from the Bottom of my heart!! This was one of my best Fests ever and I have been to all except 2!!!
I needed this time away as I have suffered several Heartbreaks this year with the loss of 2 of my Best Friends......"Griff" and "Sammy" and I actually got visit several of the Local Museums and found The Bomber Restaurant!! What a great time!! Thanks again to Fred for this wonderful site and the organizers!! :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The CB helped me steer clear of the accident - glad I have it. I also used Waze to reroute me and got updates from car54 who was stuck in the backup for 3 hours before being turned around and redirected.

The trip home yielded 48.7 MPG on the MFI, which will probably translate to 46 MPG pencil and paper. :cool:

It's also pretty shocking that I probably would have won the best MPG award had I taken my time getting to Fest. I decided to go quickly rather than efficiently because I figured someone would have gotten in the high 50s. :eek: