TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
There hasn't been an update in the "Who's Registered" post for a month. Is 60 attendees the limit?
Nope, we really do not have a limit so to speak. There is normally a nice lull in registrations between the early bird discount time and a few weeks before fest. We have had about four registrations the past two weeks.

Keep spreading the word and get your friends to sign up!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I'll be signing up shortly. Having missed the early registration there isn't much incentive to hop on this right now. When is the deadline again?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There hasn't been an update in the "Who's Registered" post for a month. Is 60 attendees the limit?
Um... are you sure? Look at the bottom of the post (which has been updated no fewer than 41 times since its original posting on May 23rd).

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; 06-18-12 at 08:29 AM.
I update the original post every time someone registers and I'm about to update it again - 61.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Deadlines

I'll be signing up shortly. Having missed the early registration there isn't much incentive to hop on this right now. When is the deadline again?
Deadline for normal registration and hotel reservations is August 8th.

After August 8th, registration goes into late mode @ $60 and hotel availability and pricing is not guaranteed.

August 15th is the deadline for a free t-shirt included in your registration.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Um... are you sure? Look at the bottom of the post (which has been updated no fewer than 41 times since its original posting on May 23rd).

I update the original post every time someone registers and I'm about to update it again - 61.
Duh! I was looking at the "Last Post" date! :eek:

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
There will be three of us coming from Windsor, ON area. Don't need the hotel room, looking forward to it.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
My new supervisor just approved my time off for this. He gave me the rest of the week after Labor Day off, but not the Friday before, so it looks like I'll plan to get there Saturday.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My new supervisor just approved my time off for this. He gave me the rest of the week after Labor Day off, but not the Friday before, so it looks like I'll plan to get there Saturday.
Better than nothing, I suppose. Bring lots of caffeine for the drive out on Friday night. :cool:

We'll keep the lights on for you!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What what WHAT?? :(

Other stuff going on? Too expensive? You don't like us anymore?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I may be in the same boat, sadly. We'll see. Really looking forward to Michigan at the end of summer, though.

Actualsizeaudio

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH, 2001 AKN, 2010 JSW
WELL DAMN!!!! I would love to the her again! as I had a small part in the reconstruction and finally got to drive her at the Wisconsin TDIFEST!!
I would enjoy that as well. About a 15hr drive from CT. Piece of cake:)

My wife is hoping I drive it there to sell it. She'll be so sad when I drive it back home!

TDIinWI

TDI
'15 Jetta SE TDI (Current Chariot), '05 Passat TDI (RIP), '03 Beetle TDI (RIP), '00 Golf TDI (RIP), '98 Jetta TDI (RIP)
Sounds like a great time, I am working on making it !

onlyinabeetle

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Too much craziness! I do have the upcoming wedding, home purchase, ect... I am also unable to get out of working Friday...it would be a very tiring trip for me. :(

wedding plans etc LOOK we can get Herm and the Ho5g will help.. Problem solved .

tell David & Bubba you are going....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Keep your eyes peeled for a new thread about guest speakers and technical sessions... coming soon. I'm working on getting commitments from people and organizing a time table for tech sessions. :cool:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Wow, I don't check this site often enough anymore. It took until the email blast hit my inbox just this morning before I knew that the fest 2012 WILL BE IN MY BACKYARD!

Guess I don't have much excuse to skip it this year, eh? Except, perhaps, for the $55 registration fee... and that almost every other event or meal costs an additional chunk. So for the base $55. what am I allowed to attend? First glance it looks like the technical sessions, show and shine, vendor area... anything else? No offense... but that seems pretty freakin expensive just to see some TDIs and let vendors peddle their stuff to me.

But good choice with Ypsilanti, organizers! Like any good Michigan town, Ypsi is a little rough around the edges, but has a lot of good stuff goin' on. Don't be afraid to venture across the freeway and into town, everyone! Red Rock barbeque on Michigan Ave, Sidetrack over on Cross St in "depot town", and many other awesome bars and restaurants. Henry Ford Automotive museum down in Dearbown is cool, but there's also the Autmotive Heritage museum right in Ypsi! And of course, Ann Arbor offers a ton of stuff to do.

Anyway, I live right in downtown Ypsi now, so if anyone has any questions about the area, feel free to hit me up here or by PM.

AO928

TDI
2011 JSW DSG
So for the base $55. what am I allowed to attend? First glance it looks like the technical sessions, show and shine, vendor area... anything else? No offense... but that seems pretty freakin expensive just to see some TDIs and let vendors peddle their stuff to me.
I'm in Canton and was thinking the same thing. I wonder if we would be turned away if we just showed up?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
TDIFest is a TDI-focused event (one of the few, maybe the only) to facilitate us meeting other TDI drivers, learn more about our cars, see cars that are interesting for any number of reasons (mileage, mods, etc.) and to raise funds to help support this web site and forums. Don't think of the registration fee as only a cost for what you'll see and do at the Fest, but as a way to keep this site up and running. So if you use the site, you should register.

If you use any other enthusiast sites, car or otherwise, that allow advertising, you'll quickly appreciate Fred's policy of no advertisers. Let's keep that going.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We have tried to explain it as best we can on the registration site and on the various threads in this forum, but here it goes again... hope this helps you understand the importance and value of TDIFest.

Let's start with event venue rental (the best in town at a great rate of $99/night for rooms), insurance, tent rental, other facility rental, overhead costs like shirts, name tags, office supplies, printers, internet fees, food, gratuity on said food, awards, certificates of appreciation to our supporters AND last but not least, generating yearly operating funding for TDIClub to be AD FREE.

What do you get for your registration? An awesome venue with an incredible event list that we've spent hundreds of hours of our personal time planning since this time last year. With your registration, you get your t-shirt, name tag, a custom made TDIClub pin, access to the vendor displays, entry to the show and shine, participation in the raffle, discounted meal options with an excellent guest speaker, seven technical sessions with forum gurus and a party with FREE FOOD and a band on Saturday night.

Last edited:

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm in Canton and was thinking the same thing. I wonder if we would be turned away if we just showed up?
Comments like this are missing the point and purpose of Fest. While TDIFest is there to get more people interested in TDIs and spread the word, its main purpose is to raise funds for the club.

When is the last time you have seen an add on the site?

When is the last time you have gotten a spam type email that can be traced back directly to the site?

TDIFest is operated mainly off of the proceeds that are generated from TDIFest and its related activities.

While $55 might seem expensive to some, we have a detailed spreadsheet that has all our costs listed (insurance, tent rental, t-shirt costs, goodie bag costs, awards, hotel fees, name tag costs, pin costs, shipping costs, etc. etc.) and expected attendance. We divide all of these cost by expected attendance and our goal is to break even with the registration fees.

If you just show up, not only are you hurting the club, you are also hurting all the other attendees of future fest by not giving us accurate attendance numbers to plan future fest.

I encourage each of you that think the fees are to expensive to put a proposal together for a fest and work through planning it, all of which is volunteered time. You will soon quickly realize that fest is just not something that is thrown together last minute.

I am going to try to say this as delicately as possible, Fest is about the welfare of the club first and foremost. I understand that the the club would not exist with out the users, but running the forums is expensive and it has to be paid for somehow!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It should also be mentioned that there was an early registration period where you received a nice discount for signing up early. :)