TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
That was my thinking Mike. If for nothing else a change of pace.
Well, if you want a change of pace and are in the mood to see people driving like "idiots" on a major highway, then welcome to Ontario :rolleyes:

Seriously, people do not use their signals for lane changes because they figure that when they resell the car they can note that the turn signal bulbs have never been used and command more money for the car...:rolleyes:

Oh, and remember if you drive 150km/h (92mph) in a 100km/h (62mph) zone, kiss your car and your licence goodbye....

MrVermin

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Well, if you want a change of pace and are in the mood to see people driving like "idiots" on a major highway, then welcome to Ontario :rolleyes:

Seriously, people do not use their signals for lane changes because they figure that when they resell the car they can note that the turn signal bulbs have never been used and command more money for the car...:rolleyes:

Oh, and remember if you drive 150km/h (92mph) in a 100km/h (62mph) zone, kiss your car and your licence goodbye....

MrVermin
You're not part of the Canadian government's Welcome To Canada office are you?:D Just kidding. However I just drove through New York at 75-85 mph last Saturday and I got passed regularly, I'll give your suggestion(s) some further consideration.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
I'll be right behind rocketeer928 so whatever speed he chooses will be mine. I'm not fool enough to be ahead of him since he puts out much more HP than I do :) 100 - 120 km/h is fine with me with maybe a soot clean out on occasion

smilesbfr

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI broke 200K April 2012
Sa-weet! Moving to MI this summer. I'll be popping my TDI-fest and cherry-festival "cherry" in the same year! Man, 2012 is going to be awesome!

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'll be right behind rocketeer928 so whatever speed he chooses will be mine. I'm not fool enough to be ahead of him since he puts out much more HP than I do :) 100 - 120 km/h is fine with me with maybe a soot clean out on occasion
Perhaps I'll entertain you with a couple of soot clean outs. Mostly, I'll be driving 105 km/hr for fuel mileage reasons and to not attract anymore attention than necessary from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. I haven't had a moving violation since 1991, and I want to keep it that way.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
For those of you considering cutting through Canada, keep in mind that the Ohio Turnpike recently raised its speed limit to 70 mph. I'm not sure how strict the cops are on the Turnpike with the new limit, I just set it to 73 and space out for an hour or three.

And for those of you with smartphones, install WAZE for navigation... it's better than a radar detector. :cool:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Ummmmm While cutting through Canada may seem like a fun idea, fuel is more expensive up here :( ... At over $5 per gallon :(
According to Google Maps the trip for me will be either 680 miles cutting through Canada, or 730 to stick with US highways. If I had an ALH I could easily to that stretch on 1 tank and not have to buy the $5 Canadian fuel.

The stretch through Canada is ~260 miles on 401. If the Miles Remaining prediction is good enough in my Golf, I risk buying a gallon or two in Canada to shave 50 miles off the trip.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are a couple of good diesel stations right near the crossing at Niagara Falls. Fill up there and you'll be fine for the rest of the trip.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
While you shave 50 miles off the trip (let's call it 50 minutes for the sake of simple math), you're going to add 50 minutes at the two border crossings. Really, it's six of one, half dozen of the other, so do whichever route tickles your fancy... but don't expect to save time with one over the other. If saving distance is what you're after, then yes - Canada is a shorter route.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Glad to hear Ohio is up to 70, that my make enough of a difference for me to do the whole thing in the U.S.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
More importantly, any idea if registration and hotel reservations will start before June?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
While you shave 50 miles off the trip (let's call it 50 minutes for the sake of simple math), you're going to add 50 minutes at the two border crossings. Really, it's six of one, half dozen of the other, so do whichever route tickles your fancy... but don't expect to save time with one over the other. If saving distance is what you're after, then yes - Canada is a shorter route.
I've never been through that stretch of Canada before, whereas I've been on the route through PA/OH several times, so a change may be nice.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm looking forward to the drive through southern Ontario, no matter the wait at the borders. I won't be filling up in Ontario, though. I think from home, one tank will do it to the Fest, and then another tank to get back.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You're a bit closer than me but I can't make it much past Cleveland on a tank. I usually have to fill up in PA or eastern Ohio. However, you're getting better mileage these days than I usually acheive, so maybe.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI

The "Time versus Distance" equation rarely works out in your favour :(

If you save 50 miles (1gallon at 50mpg) by driving through Canada, yet incure a 1 to 1.5 hour delay combined at the two border crossings, and the lower overall speed limit... the answer is simple.....

MrVermin

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Geez :rolleyes: I'm really not that worried about the time/distance factor. Sometimes it's nice to see something new.

At 72mph 50 miles will take 45 minuntes, plus I'll definitely need to stop to refuel, so any time savings will be eliminated right there. The last time I drove out I90 through Ohio I must have passed through 25 construction zones between Albany and Cleveland.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Geez :rolleyes: I'm really not that worried about the time/distance factor. Sometimes it's nice to see something new.
Agreed, while I probably won't this time, the turnpikes are just too convenient. I do remember enjoying my drive across US 50 from Cincinnati's Fest back home.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh yeah - I should mention that the Ohio Turnpike has one lane closed for paving in a few places for 20 - 30 mile stretches. Work zone speed limit is 50 mph. FUN!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
On the plus side, you can get really good fuel economy @ 50 mph!

nyrussell

TDI
2009 TDI Loyal; 3208 Cat Marine and 8KW Onan
yep, heading to knoxville to get the chocks for the whaler i picked up last year. Probably do about the same for that trip too. And it will be a father son trip :) (he is 17 months old now)

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Coming back from the Montreal fest, I checked the border wait times at London, ON. There was basically no wait at the Ambassador Bridge, so I went that way rather than the Blue Water Bridge (as originally planned, since I had booked a hotel to stop for the night at Lansing, MI, and was planning to get there from the border using I-69 rather than I-96).

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
:rolleyes: I'm really not that worried about the time/distance factor. Sometimes it's nice to see something new.
My thinking exactly... Besides, I want to try out the new, convenient passport card I got recently for land and sea travel, rather than bringing my bulky passport book.

donj

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
Great location, wrong weekend!

The site of the TDIfest couldn't be much better for me. A round trip from home will burn just over 1/2 gal of diesel fuel! The date however, couldn't be any worse. My job pretty much requires I be in Royal Oak for the Arts, Beats and Eats festival all weekend. I may be able to drop by Sat and Sun morning.

For those looking for a side trip, we'll have some great bands in Royal Oak (about 45 min away) that weekend along with one of the top rated art fairs in the country and lots of food.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
The site of the TDIfest couldn't be much better for me. A round trip from home will burn just over 1/2 gal of diesel fuel! The date however, couldn't be any worse. My job pretty much requires I be in Royal Oak for the Arts, Beats and Eats festival all weekend. I may be able to drop by Sat and Sun morning.

For those looking for a side trip, we'll have some great bands in Royal Oak (about 45 min away) that weekend along with one of the top rated art fairs in the country and lots of food.
Call in sick!