TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Lug Nut is the only person I know who would take an extra day off work, so earn less money, in order to drive slower, to spend less money. Wait... did I get that right? Yeah. That's it. ;)

You need to get a picture of the back-end of a Prius and paste it on the back of the Passat, so people flying up behind you know you are moving so slowly. Around here, when I see the back of a Volkswagen my brain automatically assumes they are going 25% over the speed limit. :D

I've driven across country in VW Buses, and never drove that slow! You average like 55 or so, right? That is truly amazing right there. My hat is off to you, sir!
And yet I averaged 51mpg on my trip out to the Portland TDIFest while averaging about 70mph (in 6th gear of course :cool:)

I, however, did not map my drive in order to stick to B100... so, in that regard Lug Nut, you do better than me ;)

MrVermin

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just got off the phone with the folks at the Marriott... that weekend is shaping up to be very busy for them. Fortunately, they're guaranteeing a 200-space allotment in the parking lot for us. :cool:

This does mean that once registration is open, you should reserve your rooms ASAP. If I need to increase our room block (currently at 70 rooms per night Friday, Saturday, Sunday with a couple extras on both ends for extended stays), I will need to do it sooner rather than later.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Just got off the phone with the folks at the Marriott... that weekend is shaping up to be very busy for them. Fortunately, they're guaranteeing a 200-space allotment in the parking lot for us. :cool:

This does mean that once registration is open, you should reserve your rooms ASAP. If I need to increase our room block (currently at 70 rooms per night Friday, Saturday, Sunday with a couple extras on both ends for extended stays), I will need to do it sooner rather than later.
I am going to book from the Thursday to Monday once it opens up....

Oh and I'll be bringing a spare set of keys with me, and leaving them with the Front Desk just in case... LOL...:rolleyes:

MrVermin

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I plan on Fri/Sat/Sun nights. If I end up arriving on Thursday, I'll see if I can get in early. If not, I can just go elsewhere for the night.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, but you should support the club and stay at the Marriott, assuming we don't run out of rooms. If we don't hit our target, we have to make up the difference. I don't anticipate that happening because we've been pretty conservative with our target, but that also puts us in the position of possibly running out of rooms. It's hard to judge these things 8-10 months in advance.

Regardless, there will be plenty of parking available for everyone. :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Lug Nut is the only person I know who would take an extra day off work, so earn less money, in order to drive slower, to spend less money. Wait... did I get that right? Yeah. That's it. ;)

I've driven across country in VW Buses, and never drove that slow! You average like 55 or so, right? That is truly amazing right there. My hat is off to you, sir!
I have more accrued vacation days than I can carry over year-to-year. I don't earn less by squandering them in the manner I choose.

And yet I averaged 51mpg on my trip out to the Portland TDIFest while averaging about 70mph
MrVermin
Ooookaayyy...... At what time and on what day did you depart? At what time and on what day did you arrive? What was the elapsed time door-to-door?
How many miles or km?
Do the math and tell me your average speed. NOT your moving average, your overall average speed.
Probably right around 55 mph / 90 kph isn't it?
THAT'S what I meant 16 hours being by "more realistic" for an 800 mile journey.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have more accrued vacation days than I can carry over year-to-year. I don't earn less by squandering them in the manner I choose.

Ooookaayyy...... At what time and on what day did you depart? At what time and on what day did you arrive? What was the elapsed time door-to-door?
How many miles or km?
Do the math and tell me your average speed. NOT your moving average, your overall average speed.
Probably right around 55 mph / 90 kph isn't it?
THAT'S what I meant 16 hours being by "more realistic" for an 800 mile journey.
Hmmmmm.... Let me see if I remember correctly...

My house to the Hotel in Portland: 4,220 km roughly

I left my house on Wednesday at about 6am and arrived at the hotel on Thursday at about 5pm (ish-time), so total travel time was about 35hours.

Now for the math (I hate math... :p)

hmmm.... plus.....divided by..... carry the one..... hmmmm.....

about 120km/h average speed (74.5mph)

6th gear at that speed is about 2100 (ish) rpm

On the way home I took longer and drove slower, ended up taking an extra day to get home over getting to the fest ;)

Just saying that I did the drive because you do it every year as well, but you plot it out to take advantage of using B100 only for the entire trip and take it slower that me. I do not think I could do that :D

MrVermin

CrAkHeD

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
20 miles from home and right around the corner from work, now all I have to do is talk the wife out of our annual camping trip and I'm all set.

Chuckler3

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5sp (Alaska Green) 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW 5-sp
I think I've got the wife convinced that it'll be a fun trip. Well, that and she get's to go to cedar point afterwards as it's only two hours away. 1400 mile road trip it looks like from where I will be in Texas when this is going on. Just have to get my leave paperwork in so we can start planning the logistics.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
A post-Fest trip to Cedar Point sounds like a pretty good vacation!

Chuckler3

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5sp (Alaska Green) 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW 5-sp
I'm not much of a roller coaster person.. haven't been on one in roughly 17 years. Wasn't the greatest experience of my life and my wife is dead-set on getting me on one again. So, she ok's a trip to Michigan and I have to get on a steel death-coaster. Added bonus that the trip north takes us through bourbon country.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I'm not much of a roller coaster person.. haven't been on one in roughly 17 years. Wasn't the greatest experience of my life and my wife is dead-set on getting me on one again. So, she ok's a trip to Michigan and I have to get on a steel death-coaster. Added bonus that the trip north takes us through bourbon country.
A good excuse to stock up on that "Liquid Courage" for the Coaster Ride ... :D:cool:

MrVermin

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ah yes, the compromises of marriage. :D

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
When I cam back from Seattle in Oct of 09' with the wifes new to us 325xit I averaged 71 mph....Montana and WY.....bullet like progress. Some here have seen the dash shot on the limiter for the car taken in Montana. Ran like that for hours.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I would say the odds very very good a couple of tuners will be there. I hope to see you there.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
There will definitely be at least one tuner on site that weekend.

Also, if you're looking for something to do this weekend, we're doing our 5th annual Auto Show GTG. Home base is the Ypsi Marriott... see the thread in the Mid-West forum.