TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
My thinking exactly... Besides, I want to try out the new, convenient passport card I got recently for land and sea travel, rather than bringing my bulky passport book.
if you feel the need to fuel up at some point in southwestern ontario, i recommend the ultramar @ the ta truck stop(sweaburg rd exit) on hwy 401 in woodstock. great fuel & best prices around. we've got family in torrington and southington and we're taking a trip to newport in june. any good fuel stops you can recommend for us in your area?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Funny side story: I realized the other day my Passport expired in May of 11. What's relevant to this thread was that we went through Ontario when traveling to the Detroit Auto Show in January. And I showed my expired Passport leaving and entering the US. No on said a word. If I had known it was expired I probably wouldn't have been able to get away with it.

hipressureinjection

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
there is one more thing , if it has not been brought up , Ypsilanti Michigan was the home of the Great Preston Tucker . He was a true master of inventions ! One of them was the Tucker Automobile ! I think there is a Ypsilanti auto heritage museum ! I sure hope I can get things in order and get the new Jetta TDI that i keep looking at . I would really like to attend tdifest 2012 ! any corrections from anyone please post ! Thanks , Mike

hipressureinjection

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thanks for adding to my post ! I have always been a car guy but mostly mercedes , due to the diesels ! but i like old cars too ! i work in Ft.Wayne Indiana and sometimes we go to the Coldwater / Reading Michigan area to work and I always see the sign telling how many miles to Ypsilanti and I always think , I wish I had time to go check out the Tucker home and museum ! Well This might be my chance !! Please add to this Michigan People ! Make it a TDI Fest for everyone to Remember ! Thanks Mike

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Tips from an Ypsi resident:

Best pizza: Aubree's in Depot Town (about 2 miles from TDIFest, there's another Aubree's closer but the atmosphere is better at the Depot Town location)
Best restaurant (casual): Sidetrack Bar & Grill (about 2 miles from TDIFest)
Best restaurant (Mexican): La Fiesta Mexicana (about 1 mile from TDIFest)
Best restaurant (ethnic): Pita Pita (mediterranean, about 3 miles from TDIFest)
Best breakfast: Gabe's Coney Island or The Bomber Restaurant (both are about 1 mile from TDIFest)
Best beer: The Corner Brewery (about 3 miles from TDIFest)
Best park: Riverside Park (about 1 mile from TDIFest)
Best bike ride: Border to Border trail (along Parker Mill County Park, Gallup Park, and the Ann Arbor Arboretum, starts about 5 miles from TDIFest)
Best golf course (for the money): Green Oaks (about 5 miles from TDIFest)

You can probably find me any day of the week at one of these places.

For those that are looking for a more lively bar scene, Ann Arbor is right down the road with plenty of great bars all within walking distance.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Tips from an Ypsi resident:

Best pizza: Aubree's in Depot Town (about 2 miles from TDIFest, there's another Aubree's closer but the atmosphere is better at the Depot Town location)
Best restaurant (casual): Sidetrack Bar & Grill (about 2 miles from TDIFest)
Best restaurant (Mexican): La Fiesta Mexicana (about 1 mile from TDIFest)
Best restaurant (ethnic): Pita Pita (mediterranean, about 3 miles from TDIFest)
Best breakfast: Gabe's Coney Island or The Bomber Restaurant (both are about 1 mile from TDIFest)
Best beer: The Corner Brewery (about 3 miles from TDIFest)
Best park: Riverside Park (about 1 mile from TDIFest)
Best bike ride: Border to Border trail (along Parker Mill County Park, Gallup Park, and the Ann Arbor Arboretum, starts about 5 miles from TDIFest)
Best golf course (for the money): Green Oaks (about 5 miles from TDIFest)

You can probably find me any day of the week at one of these places.

For those that are looking for a more lively bar scene, Ann Arbor is right down the road with plenty of great bars all within walking distance.
Those are all on my list, too! I wonder if I've run into you... spent quite a bit of time in town over the past 6 years.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
When can we sign up? It's coming up fast.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
mlemorie said:
Im still bothered by the Pub 13 closing. That was a fun place to go in ypsi. No idea why it got shut down.
I heard it's going to reopen again, probably as something different though.

VeeDubTDI said:
Those are all on my list, too! I wonder if I've run into you... spent quite a bit of time in town over the past 6 years.
I wouldn't doubt it! I've lived in Ypsi for about 4 years. I love it here!

For anyone interested, there's also a new barbecue place downtown (Red Rock Downtown Barbecue, about 1 mile from TDIFest). My brother's friend owns it. They've had some great reviews so far.

Once we get closer to the fest I'll start a thread to recommend some places to anyone interested in checking out Ypsilanti.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I heard it's going to reopen again, probably as something different though.

I wouldn't doubt it! I've lived in Ypsi for about 4 years. I love it here!

For anyone interested, there's also a new barbecue place downtown (Red Rock Downtown Barbecue, about 1 mile from TDIFest). My brother's friend owns it. They've had some great reviews so far.

Once we get closer to the fest I'll start a thread to recommend some places to anyone interested in checking out Ypsilanti.
Have you come out to any of the auto show GTGs? It's been an annual thing for at least the last 5 years. Home base has traditionally been Ypsi - most recently at the Marriott and at compu_85's old house on Grove Road the year before.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
VeeDubTDI said:
Have you come out to any of the auto show GTGs? It's been an annual thing for at least the last 5 years. Home base has traditionally been Ypsi - most recently at the Marriott and at compu_85's old house on Grove Road the year before.
I've only been active on the forum for a few months. I didn't even know there were GTGs in the area. Do you live in the area? Your profile says you're in VA.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I am in VA, but my partner used to live in Ypsi, so there were frequent trips back and forth.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Ahhh okay. I'll keep an eye on the regional forums for the GTG. I've always been interested but I've never seen anything close. It looks like everyone will be coming to me for TDIFest though. :cool:

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
If you want to check out Ypsi a bit earlier, the Michigan Vintage VW Club hold their annual Vintage VW Festival in Ypsi's Depot Town and Riverside Park on Sunday, May 20th. It's a great event.

http://www.mvvc.net/EventPages/2012Festival/festival.html

I've always thought of the diesel Rabbits, Golfs and Jettas as the successors to the venerable aircooled Beetle. I keep a couple of them around for those times when diesel fuel goes up over $4.00 a gallon. ;)

--JohnD

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
We are focusing on getting registration up and running first. We will be working on the vendor stuff shortly after registration is open.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
UPDATE: Our goal is to launch TDIFest registration at 10:00 PM EDT on Monday, May 21st! There will be a discounted early registration period, so keep your eyes open! :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We are testing the registration website this weekend to troubleshoot any errors that may pop up. I will PM a few of you an invitation to test the system for us.

We anticipate that everything will run smoothly and we will be able to fully open registration on Monday evening! :cool:

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
We are testing the registration website this weekend to troubleshoot any errors that may pop up. I will PM a few of you an invitation to test the system for us.

We anticipate that everything will run smoothly and we will be able to fully open registration on Monday evening! :cool:
Awesome! Can't wait!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
UPDATE: Our goal is to launch TDIFest registration at 10:00 PM EDT on Monday, May 21st! There will be a discounted early registration period, so keep your eyes open! :)
It's my bed time! I can't keep my eyes open for much longer!

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

Let me know if you want a forum wide announcement posted when everything is good to go.

:)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We had a three hour conference call this evening and have decided to delay registration until Thursday morning in order to make a few minor adjustments and expand our "marketing strategy," if you will.

Thanks to those of you who have tested the system for us and provided feedback. We have received a lot of valuable information and have made a few changes based on those recommendations.