TDIFest 2011, Where will it be?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Yup. Everyone wants the TDIFest to come to their favorite town. But it won't happen unless someone locally steps up to make it happen. Posting the names of great places is almost pointless unless the posters are actually organizing a group effort to get the Fest there.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Yup. Everyone wants the TDIFest to come to their favorite town. But it won't happen unless someone locally steps up to make it happen. Posting the names of great places is almost pointless unless the posters are actually organizing a group effort to get the Fest there.
Writing a letter to Santa Claus is also pointless, but kids do that anyway.

If you look at it strictly from the point of view as to whether it's useful or pointless to post suggestions, then by that logic, this entire thread is useless, as nothing is really accomplished in this thread.

But what may happen is several people who don't know each other may make a post for a particular city or region. They see each others's posts, contact each, and put together a committee/proposal.

That being said, don't have experience organizing an event like Fest. But if a New England group were to form, I might be interested in helping.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I am not trying to stir the pot........Getting and running a TDI Fest requires a huge commitment and time commitment.........Not Lip Service! which until this year was what cae out of the west.........
I say good luck to anyone that gets awarded next years fest!

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
LOL........It took them 8 years to get it back out west.......and it was there basicly because your transplanted NOR EASTER organized it.......:eek:
I take offense to that. our transplant did NOT do all the organizing. and it wasnt 8 years to get it back out... it was the first time it's truly been on the west!

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
Whatever, Salt Lake City in 2001 is not the west??
How many fest's had you attended prior to this one???
And Zippy was the Lead Organizer!
Salt Lake west? Well, it's west of Texas.

I've attended numerous GTG's including being closely tied with planning the larger west coast stuff we've done. I attended the Washington DC fest. It pushed me over the edge in the aspect of "We can do this"

Zippy was the LEAD organizer. Not the ONLY organizer. Saying that fest would have not happened here without her discredits all the others on our TEAM that came together to make everything go so well.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Salt Lake west? Well, it's west of Texas.

I've attended numerous GTG's including being closely tied with planning the larger west coast stuff we've done. I attended the Washington DC fest. It pushed me over the edge in the aspect of "We can do this"

Zippy was the LEAD organizer. Not the ONLY organizer. Saying that fest would have not happened here without her discredits all the others on our TEAM that came together to make everything go so well.
I was not trying to discredit anyone I would like to make that perfectly clear! Would your group have put together a proposal had Zippy not stepped up! I hear you guys had a great Fest! Congrats! Zippy has now had a direct hand in planning of at least 4 of the last 5 fests! There was another proposal submit for this years fest!and that was Chicago! and it was a good proposal also! it was by most of the same group that planned DC fest! and they are submiting again for 2011!
The original Fest Concept was East Center West! however each year when time to come up with a proposal nothing came out of it but Lip Service and usually only one proposal would come up! so more have been east than west!

I have been to 100's that is 100's of GTG's and a GTG is not the Fest.
I have been to every Fest but 2, Yours and Salt Lake! go figure!

Anyway may the Best Group win next years FEST!

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
LOL........It took them 8 years to get it back out west.......and it was there basicly because your transplanted NOR EASTER organized it.......:eek:
I am not trying to stir the pot........Getting and running a TDI Fest requires a huge commitment and time commitment.........Not Lip Service! which until this year was what cae out of the west.........
I say good luck to anyone that gets awarded next years fest!
Whatever, Salt Lake City in 2001 is not the west??
How many fest's had you attended prior to this one???
And Zippy was the Lead Organizer!
I was not trying to discredit anyone I would like to make that perfectly clear! Would your group have put together a proposal had Zippy not stepped up! I hear you guys had a great Fest! Congrats! Zippy has now had a direct hand in planning of at least 4 of the last 5 fests! There was another proposal submit for this years fest!and that was Chicago! and it was a good proposal also! it was by most of the same group that planned DC fest! and they are submiting again for 2011!
The original Fest Concept was East Center West! however each year when time to come up with a proposal nothing came out of it but Lip Service and usually only one proposal would come up! so more have been east than west!

I have been to 100's that is 100's of GTG's and a GTG is not the Fest.
I have been to every Fest but 2, Yours and Salt Lake! go figure!

Anyway may the Best Group win next years FEST!
Agreed, may the best team win!

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
*snip*... But in the end not enough interest from fellow Colorado TDIers showed up . But if something can be put together I'm there to help & take part .
The Colorado crew are a good group of people. They helped me out in a pinch. I'd back 'em. ;) I still remember you, rotary. :D

San Francisco would probably be the coolest place to have the fest. The temperature would be between 65 and 75 degrees during the day with 50-60 degrees at night.
nooooo way! most new comers to the peninsula wouldn't know how to handle the thick Marine Layer fog that blankets that city. :D and think of all the clutches that would burn on some of our hills! :eek:

But what may happen is several people who don't know each other may make a post for a particular city or region. They see each others's posts, contact each, and put together a committee/proposal.
That being said, don't have experience organizing an event like Fest. But if a New England group were to form, I might be interested in helping.
New England's already happened. probably won't come back to NE for a VERY long time. however, that doesn't go to say that a NE group can't have a hand in organizing one that's a reasonable distance from NE. ;)
You make an excellent point DJQ.... this thread is all about stirring up interest. To bring awareness to those who may not know. Albeit, every year it stirs up the same debate over lip service and debating over lip service is basically pointless. If we debated over discussing this topic and where people would like it to be, then we'd have to discount about 1/2 the posts on this forum. a forum is exactly what it means... a place for people to express interest, post questions, research answers, express opinions.
So let's do ourselves a favor... STOP ARGUING! it's not going to get us anywhere and just serves to piss people off. :(

Frankly, it makes me sad to think that you've segregated things that much, Tomo. I know you mean no harm, but to this group deserves a lot of credit for their hard work this year.

This isn't a East VS West debate. That's what it's starting to sound like to me. it's supposed to be an East AND West (and every place in between!) community. We succeeded this year in introducing some of the East, West, and Central states all together at this years Fest and it was great! Let's keep that bond going rather than splitting it.

West coast isnt happening 2 years in a row........
Why not? Remember it isn't where the city is located, it's where the group with the best proposal is located.
If a west coast group comes up with a proposal that is more well thought out than any other proposal, then that settles it.
Good point, Jon.

I was not trying to discredit anyone I would like to make that perfectly clear! Would your group have put together a proposal had Zippy not stepped up! I hear you guys had a great Fest! Congrats! Zippy has now had a direct hand in planning of at least 4 of the last 5 fests!
In the last few posts I've seen my name posted a lot. For once, this saddens me simply because I feel I've been put into the middle of a debate that shouldn't even be taking place. :( Even though I'm sure it was unintended and no harm was meant, I'd like for this to stop now, please.

Allow me to clarify a few things and hopefully bring these debates down a notch...
1. Yes, I was the lead organizer for TDIFest 2007 & 2010 and I've volunteered with TDIFest since 2006. I try to be helpful.
2. Yes, I'm a California Transplant from Rhode Island - However, while that is a fun story that I love to tell it has very little bearing on TDIFest 2010 or 2011.
3. Yes, living in RI and being a part of the great NE crew helped me to make some great connections and wonderful friends. But this year NE'ers have had very little, if any, direct influence on TDIFest outside of the steering committee and vendor networking. A couple of NE'er were present and very helpful with Fest 2010, but far more West Coast participants were helping this year, than east. and for the record, if i moved to Alaska or Italy, i'd be all for having a Fest in my backyard again!
4. TDIFest 2010 PDX was a TEAM effort. I've said it directly to FRED from the very beginning of the 2010 planning process, that this is the best group of people that I've ever organized an event with. While my 2007 experience demonstrated how the Great NE family pulls through when you truly need them (love you guys!), 2007 didn't go as smoothly as 2010 in the planning process for me personaly. Fest 2010 was truly a TEAM effort and I refuse to take full credit for the complete organizing process. I played a significant role, yes. But WE couldn't have done it without each others help -east and west.
5. Whether it was I who stepped up to organize a West Fest or not doesn't matter. It finally happened and was greatly successful in raising the funds needed to keep this club going for another year! -That's the beating heart of TDIClub and TDIFest... not who is organizing, but how well they organize.
6. I HATE seeing people going back and forth like this. Especially when it's several people that I know fairly well at this point, because you're all part of my family and our community. We all have our views and our differences. We may not intend to stir the pot, but sometimes it happens (on both sides). Accept the difference, take opinions with a grain of salt and maintain a positive level of civility.

Thank you for your kind words and credit, I greatly appreciate your thoughts from all sides of the country. But please understand that I will not have people debating over TDIClub, TDIFest, or my level of participation in this community. Not like this. So i graciously say...Thanks, but no thanks. I will not be the divider between anyone. I understand all sides of this argument, because I'm familiar with most sides of this great forum. I will not take sides, play politics, or debate this further with anyone and I hope that others will do the same.

I hope that these explanations help to clarify some points so that we can stop the debate amongst ourselves and get back to the topic at hand... where will 2011 be? Chicago possibly? Florida, NY. TX, CO... Canada! we won't know until it's announced. But in the mean time, keep drumming up that interest and maybe it'll be somewhere else fun and exciting each year! And if anyone has decided to put a proposal together, my offer still stands to answer any and all questions that you may have about the process.

Last edited:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan

If you look at it strictly from the point of view as to whether it's useful or pointless to post suggestions, then by that logic, this entire thread is useless, as nothing is really accomplished in this thread.

I agree. Any discussion is good 'food for thought' and may be a catalyst to get a group interested that otherwise may have stayed on the sidelines. Time will tell. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
LOL. This place is great.

I'm thinking of a city that is very ... windy. :eek: :D

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
But they don't KNOW it's pointless. They write the letter and often get some sort of results. ;) But you make a good point about food for thought. My point is simply wanting it in XYZ USA isn't necessarily going to get it there without active participation. Me? I lack the time and motivation to help bring a Fest to Hampton Roads; therefore, I won't ask to bring it. Then again (back to your point), I could possibly FIND a little time if others somehow put in a successful bid to have a Fest here. Okay: YOU WIN! :p

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
After reading all of this I have come to one innescapable conclusion.

No mater where the Fest will be held next year. If it is accessable by car, I will drive there. (This includes Ferries)...

MrVermin.
See you there.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
After reading all of this I have come to one innescapable conclusion.

No mater where the Fest will be held next year. If it is accessable by car, I will drive there. (This includes Ferries)...

MrVermin.
See you there.
Now that is the Fest spirit! :cool:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
LOL. This place is great.

I'm thinking of a city that is very ... windy. :eek: :D
not Chicago?

"Chicago is not noted to be significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is: 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h); New York City, Central Park: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h)."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_name_"Windy_City"

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Chicago is known as "The Windy City" due to it's politicians being such Blowhards :D

MrVermin

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I know;)

The 1st fest was held in Wilmington NC along the Cape Fear river and it stormed both nights! I have never heard thunder and seen lightning like that before!

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I know;)

The 1st fest was held in Wilmington NC along the Cape Fear river and it stormed both nights! I have never heard thunder and seen lightning like that before!

You should have been here last week, I live downtown about two blocks from the river, we had four days of continuous torrential downpour and thunderstorms. The river is still cresting and Water Street is still flooding at high tide a week later.

I'm a new TDI owner, looking forward to attending TDIFest wherever it is next year and putting faces with all the fine people on this forum. :D

[Sorry for getting off topic. Slapping myself on the wrist]

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
not Chicago?

"Chicago is not noted to be significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is: 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h); New York City, Central Park: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h)."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_name_"Windy_City"
Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h)... you must not be including the Santa Ana Winds! :eek:
The local N.W.S. will usually wait until winds speeds exceed 28 mph, before calling them Santa Ana. Forcing the air through mountain gaps commonly increases the wind speed to 40 mph sustained with gusts of 70 mph, reaching 115 mph at times. With these conditions in place the N.W.S., more often than not will issue a “Red Flag Alert” for high fire danger.
:eek:

Lug_Nut

TDI
Fest isn't held in February:rolleyes::eek:
No reason why it couldn't be.
It has been traditionally held around Labor Day / Labour Day weekend in early September, mostly due to the shared dates of US and Canadian three day weekend, but it has been later, most notably in 2001 (but you weren't there to remember) when it was held in mid-late September to coincide with the World of Speed week at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Some group comes up with a proposal for Tampa in February? I'm so there!
Some group proposes Adak in February? I think that would end my attendance streak.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h)... you must not be including the Santa Ana Winds!
...the average annual wind speed....
Santa Ana are pretty strong, but last just a few weeks. Not long enough to bring up the more typical light zephyr breezes.