TDIFest 2010, Where will it be?

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
Chicago sounds good to me. I wanted to attend 09, but my wife's a teacher and we couldn't be back in time for the start of school. Chicago would actually be possible for us to attend!

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
I think something in Atlanta would be cool. I have yet to be to a TDIfest, but I really would love to. But a trip to the Midwest or Northeast is quite a trip, though I don't mind the drive. I'd be willing to help if someone wanted to do it. I don't think I would take the "lead" with it since I've never been to a TDIfest, nor have I organized large events before. But at the same time I will soon be unemployed and have plenty of time on my hands to look for things ;)

What do you guys normally do? Rent out venues? I don't know Atlanta too well, but I do know there is tons to do!

jjpilot

TDI
2001 Jetta White,2001Jetta Blue
I will start flying CLT (Charlotte,NC) to FRA (Frankfurt) Jan 2010 and would love to sign-up for your tour. I plan to fly International for about
a year before going back to local US.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Lawson,

call me about the Chicago stuff.

I know the area as I lived there for a long time. Also have tried a lot of the nicer hotels you guys would be looking at in the burbs.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
RabbitGTI said:
You have to rent Autobahn Country Club for a lapping day..........I'm so in if you do it.
They're working on it.

:)

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
So its looking like the 'burbs for this? I like that idea as Chicago drives me nuts. Which side of town?

mblhrmn

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI, BLK
Never been to a TDI Fest before. In fact, I just got mine in July and got married the weekend of the DC Fest. Also, it looks like Chicago is going to be pretty promising as next year's locale. BUT... if, in the future, anybody would be interested in bringing TDI Fest to Texas, I'd be willing to work on a Dallas project. Some of my family are Miata enthusiasts and back in May, they had a blast at the Miata conference. Lots of good driving, stayed at the Gaylord, and they were able to spend some time driving laps around Texas Motor Speedway. Sounds like a blast if you ask me. So keep it in mind. Texas.

apaterso

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
Concentration of TDI's?

Just out of curiousity what state has the highest concentration of TDI's? Would it not make sense to hold the 2010 fest in that state?

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
apaterso said:
Just out of curiousity what state has the highest concentration of TDI's? Would it not make sense to hold the 2010 fest in that state?
No, because while a certain area may have the highest concentration of TDI's, or rather - TDIClubber's, it's not about the concentration. It's about the level of activity among the the club members within that concentration that matters. You could have 1000 TDI'ers in a square mile radius, but if only 10 are active and supportive, then there's no reason to hold a fest there. It's a marketing deal. If you can build it, market it, support it, fund it, etc.... they will come.

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Zippy_car said:
No, because while a certain area may have the highest concentration of TDI's, or rather - TDIClubber's, it's not about the concentration. It's about the level of activity among the the club members within that concentration that matters. You could have 1000 TDI'ers in a square mile radius, but if only 10 are active and supportive, then there's no reason to hold a fest there. It's a marketing deal. If you can build it, market it, support it, fund it, etc.... they will come.
Very good post!!!!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That would be Dane county where I am. Over 2000 registered with a population of +/- 500K.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
My driveway's two TDI to 2 people ratio of 1:1 is a far higher concentration than Dane Co.'s 2:500 ratio. Next fest is at my house?
And then where the year after that?
Montreal, I'm quite sure, has a far higher TDI concentration than the Dane Co.'s 0.4%, and I truly enjoyed the fest held there, but as a permanent site because it has density? No, thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, I gotta say it:

"Fest Wars"! LMAO... :p

I just hope it gets decided soon so I can plan for however many days off I will need for drive time. :)

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
I feel the same way, 2009 was my first TDIFEST, my son a I had a blast, even though I had to drive home saturday 200 miles and back with him on sunday and then back home again 400 miles. 2010 we plan to be there the entire weekend. We can't wait!

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
You could just give me some hints and have Zippy slap me around a little :D

tomo366 said:
I could tell you...........but then I would have to Kill you..........;)

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
TDIFest 2003 and TDIFest 2007 were in Canada. As for the West Coast which I what I think you are really thinking about, Utah was the closestAs stated before it really comes down to a dedicated group of people in area to get it to that area. :)

dobeonguard

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDi
I am actually in the process of starting a company with a partner in Germany doing guided tours. We will have pimped out apartments setup and cars ready for them to drive on the autobahn. We will be based at first near Duisburg, it is about 2-3 hour drive from everything, A-dam, Brussels, Frankfurt, Paris.

I am an experienced high speed, evasive driver and have taken several courses over the years. The best time I had was a few years ago at the Virginia International Raceway. My brother is the CFO of a company that does all the promos for VW, Audi and so on. We did an event for Dunlop and my brothers company brought in a bunch of these British driving instructors. I laughed my ass off the entire week. Most of them were former rally car drivers and they convinced me to take our rented Ford Expedition on the VIR's rally car course. ;) They were stunt drivers, it was amazing watching this one parallel park with an E-break. For these events they purchase brand new cars. The delivery truck just showed up with 3 Nissan Xtera, 3 Nissan 350Z's, 3 Honda Civic Si's and 3 BMW 325's. There wasn't a straight quarter panel on any of the cars by the end of the week. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
We're moving right along, folks. Finishing up our proposal on Thursday. :D Jason, I'll give you a ring this afternoon.