TDIFest 2004 - Proposal outline

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Sorry for the delay in getting this out guys.

We are currently taking bids for TDIFest 2004. If you are interested, please do the following by September 30, 2003:

1) Find a group of people (5ish) to work with you on the planning and implementation. This will help divide up the work, and keep problems from arising should 1 or 2 move away.
2) Get a rough idea of costs, event places, etc
3) Submit a short email to me with details on the people involved and what your plans are

I haven't made my mind up about a dual Fest, but the idea sounds cool. We'll have to see what interested parties have in mind as well.

Thanks,

Fred

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
[ QUOTE ]
VW Derf said:I haven't made my mind up about a dual Fest, but the idea sounds cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

How will I keep my streak of fest attendance intact if there are concurrent fests?

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Jonathan Bartlett said:
[ QUOTE ]
VW Derf said:I haven't made my mind up about a dual Fest, but the idea sounds cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

How will I keep my streak of fest attendance intact if there are concurrent fests?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got some H.323 VideoConferencing Equipment, we can tie the two side together thru video !

Gary M

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
[ QUOTE ]
Jonathan Bartlett said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not the only one... I'm in the same boat, PeterV is and someone else I think;)

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Gary Miyakawa said:
[ QUOTE ]
Jonathan Bartlett said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got some H.323 VideoConferencing Equipment, we can tie the two side together thru video !

Gary M

[/ QUOTE ]

i've got compatible equipment here too!

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
[ QUOTE ]
tomo366 said:
1 fest per year is plenty in my mind..............

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah any more sunburn than that one weekend and 1/2 of us there would be in an ICU

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

okay so concurrent would make that kinda hard (to get Peter, Jon, and Fred in both places). Well here is to hoping the best proposal comes from somewhere I can attend /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I am a new TDI owner. I posted this on another thread, but I am going to throw in my 2 cents in again.I have beed involved with GTG's, nothing to do with VW's or even Car's. I live in King of Prussia, Pa. It has been a great place to hold such events. There is a hotel near by, that seems every week has some group gathering. Valley Forge Park Ridge Sheraton. It's basically a transportation Hub. As you will see down below.

I think a Baltimore/Philly Area would be great. LOL, not to be Boostfull of coming from that area. But Just as an Interstate Access point of view.. Pennsylvania Turnpike I-76. which both sections are feeders to I-70, I-95, I-80, I-78, I-81, I-83. Plus, come on, You can't pass up a Philly Cheesesteak would ya

Oh the the back roads are nice and twisty. and flat out spots too HeeHee.

I am willing to Help organize such an event, even if it were turn out to be just local/regional.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
[ QUOTE ]
GeWilli said:
Well here is to hoping the best proposal comes from somewhere I can attend /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Geoff, No matter where it is, for you and your family attendance is mandatory!
We may accept a doctors note /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fincoop

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
GeWilli said:

Well here is to hoping the best proposal comes from somewhere I can attend /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I saw your face somewhere on TV before... America's most wanted. Don't worry, we haven't ruled out Alaska yet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
If anyone is planning an east coast proposal, let me know.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
coop you sure are workign overtime to get those digs in /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

keep tryin pogostick boy /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lug_Nut

TDI
[ QUOTE ]
danix said:
If anyone is planning an east coast proposal, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]
At least one New England group is planning to submit a bid. At present the site area being considered is south east MA or RI.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Cape Cod would be cool... or what was the island in MA that was the setting of the movie "One Crazy Summer"?

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
[ QUOTE ]
TDIMeister said:
Cape Cod would be cool... or what was the island in MA that was the setting of the movie "One Crazy Summer"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem with Cape Cod is that it's packed during labor day weekend. Wasn't "One Crazy Summer" filmed on Martha's Vineyard? Also very packed during labor day.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
that's an understatement. the cape is overrun labor day weekend. not a good place to be with a large group.

KliftonK

TDI
2000 New Beetle, Silver/Black
How about the Louisville/Cincinatti area? There's a good number of owners around here. And plenty of good convention areas, plus we're kind of midwest/east located. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
KliftonK said:
How about the Louisville/Cincinatti area? There's a good number of owners around here. And plenty of good convention areas, plus we're kind of midwest/east located. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

get 5 or more people together that can commit to working together for a whole year and prepare a proposal.

As a former "organizer" I can say you need ONE LEAD person to do the event and be the "one with the answers" but you need individual people to organize the activites, two people for rally, two people for show/tech sessions, two people for .... they can overlap but one head honcho really is needed to control and oversee and tie it all together and that generally is the main contact for the facility it will be based out of... IE Suds this year, Ripster last year.

Also if the organizers life far apart it can become a challenge to coordinate meetings...

the Fest really is a Local event. If the organizers are spread out all over the place it can make it difficult. Also make sure you work to exploit every connection you have with anyone here to help promote your event.

It really is a lot of work, but if you do it right and have a great supporting cast it can really be very successful. For my day (our group divided up into days) I was very fortunate to have the support and resources of a Salesman from the local dealer (Thom Huegle at Gezon Volkswagen, Grand Rapids) who was just as enthusiastic about the TDI as the rest of us.

It is a rewarding experience but not one to be taken on lightly... or alone

EmeraldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
previous: 1997 Jetta (green); 2000 Golf TDI (Silver)
[ QUOTE ]
VW Derf said:

We are currently taking bids for TDIFest 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point do we start the new TDIFest 2004 section (as opposed to discussing it in this "TDIFest 2003" section?)

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
EmeraldTDI said:
[ QUOTE ]
VW Derf said:

We are currently taking bids for TDIFest 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point do we start the new TDIFest 2004 section (as opposed to discussing it in this "TDIFest 2003" section?)

[/ QUOTE ]

when we get the accepted proposal . . . or there abouts IIRC the history

Tinker

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997, White
Totally agree with Bawlsy, cape traffic on any weekend is bad enough. Scenic drives at 5 mph in bumper to bumper traffic isn't much fun.

But, MA or RI would be a great spot.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Depends on the time of year for the cape! How about foxboro, at the gillette stadium grounds? Massive parking, on rt1, 3 miles to 495, 2 more to 95, 2 miles to 1a. Good central loation for NE residents anyway, hotels,motels and inns within 10 minutes, restaurants, fast food and entertainment within 10 minutes. Did I mention the multiple diesel sattions within a 2 mile radius? Oh yaeh! NE this time ...please! /images/graemlins/eek.gif [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] How do you know you are alive if you are not miserable?

Lug_Nut

TDI
With such a high number of TDI owners / potential attendees in the area, what percentage will be willing to stay at a hotel versus the percentage of "commuters"?
A lot of the discounts offered on lodging, food, and activities require sheer numbers. Should a substantial portion choose to return home each night, the lodging discount available for others will be less, possibly to the point of being unjustifiable.
The result is lower attendance, more costly group meals, higher per person charges for rental of meeting space, and ultimately, less money raised for the web site.

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Do a poll to get an idea of how many people would be staying in a hotel. WRT the discounts, usually you can work something out. You should be able to get a deal similar to the previous year's. You can get a lot thrown in such as the meeting room with the meals, a discount based on a small number of room (say an average of 15-20 rooms each night). There's always a deal to be had but you may have to be more aggressive in some cases.
Have you guys submitted a proposal yet? If so, give a few calls around now to get an idea of what you can get from the various hotels in the area. I put out a bunch of calls (about 6 hotels) made visits, talked rough numbers with them and then decided on which property was best given all the details.
Let me know if you need help with this.