TDIFest 2004 awarded to the New England crew

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
We're working on a drag event right now. Stay tuned. Soon enough, everything will be out in the open.

RRTom

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS black
Great! That would give me an excuse to drive back to R.I. and see the family. Normally, I fly back, but with a little lead time, I could get the time off, and do a cross country trip. I'd be killing two birds with one stone. A TDI GTG and a visit.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
GeWilli said:

And we'll have to line DieselDork up with PeterV (V stands for the volume of words eminating from his permanent grin at GTGs) see which one goes the best in the 1/4...

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
OK DD lets line up....Now where did I put the 5 gals of that 70 cetane fuel.......

suds

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5, Silver
Where do I register? /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

All I can say to everyone is... register early to help these guys out. It's hard to put deposits down on venues if people wait until the last 5 weeks to register. Register early - you know you'll be there so don't sweat it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is a great proposal and I'm positive that TDI Fest 2004 will be a fantastic success!

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
thanks, suds. we're not quite ready for the registration phase yet, but when we are, we'll let you all know.

early registration is DEFINITELY going to help us make the fest better. the earlier people register, the better we can make the fest. honest.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
PeterV said:
OK DD lets line up....Now where did I put the 5 gals of that 70 cetane fuel.......

[/ QUOTE ]

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
tdipoet said:
thanks, suds. We're not quite ready for the registration phase yet,

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
[ QUOTE ]
brucep said:
Would that "drag event" be at NED (New England Dragway)?
http://www.newenglanddragway.com/

I frequent NED (not to race my TDI) to see the "Import Wars" where the 4-cylinder street-legal cars battle it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing is the NED can only be rented on Wednesdays. Oh Friday they have street legal only drags. Bring what you've got and $17 and you can race. That may be the best option.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
thats about what we did for TDI fest 02

the track guys let us have the whole day and stuck us in a back corner . . . and let the TDIs run as a group separately... IIRC it was $20 at MI to drag...

ifn we could get a TDI only set of 3 runs for all and just do head to head 3 times and keep it simple in that the fastest slip wins and the break it down for groups if needed/wanted

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
BawlsyTDI said:
Bring what you've got and $17 and you can race. That may be the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And for Jon!

suggestion for the MIleage competition . . .

for those entering the competition they should be provided a sealed container to be used as the determination of mileage. Drive a very specific known course. Give each competitor a massed (weighed) quantity of fuel. And then at the end of the event mass the container. Since volume is so temperature dependent doing the event on a total mass consumed basis will make it more accurate...

as for figurin out how to mount said container that is the other issue - and at least this way the event wouldn't have to be as long - one or two liters consumed would be enough with a good scale to determine the winner...

if you pre-filter the fuel to 2µm then it could be directly attached to the fuel pump feed and return, reducing the BTU variation that might be affected by what ever anyone had in their fuel filter.... (say it was run on B100 for example)....

Rodg Petersen

Veteran Member
Jeez, even further than Toronto...if I make it I think the vehicle of choice will be a the gasser Cessna /images/graemlins/crazy.gif,
well, maybe next time.
Rodg

resinguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Silver
How about arranging a discount from Shine? People might be interested in coming in a day early to get an installation done at their shop.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
we've already begun talking with shine. they wish to be involved in the fest. to what extent, we'll let you know as we work things out.

at this point we'd prefer to make a more coherent "this is the fest" announcement than bits and pieces here and there. rest assured, the closer we get to the fest the more you'll hear from us.

Natureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI 2002 Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
How about arranging a discount from Shine? People might be interested in coming in a day early to get an installation done at their shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask them to make it a distance driven based discount and I may show up!

Rodney

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
GeWilli,
The loophole of which I took advantage would be closed by having an "official" fill the tank prior to the start with a minimum of three gallons and then using the same fill technique at the end of the distance.
The '02 rules allowed, or rather didn't disallow, me to use a different vent technique before and after.
The "sealed" container idea was considered as a possibility that could have been included in the '02 rules and I had countermeasures prepared.
I'd have been as content to use the honor system as in '00 and '01.

BTW, the fuel economy event is one that has not yet been proposed for inclusion in the '04 planning

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing is the NED can only be rented on Wednesdays. Oh Friday they have street legal only drags. Bring what you've got and $17 and you can race. That may be the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the situation about renting the track, but Wednesday is street night as well. $17 to race and $10 to watch, kids are free.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
the friday night drag event is looking like the most likely tdi performance event. there will be an actual racing and driving event on saturday, though for safety, liability, cost, and participation reasons we won't be racing tdis.

it WILL be a competition, however.

inline

TDI
2002 Jetta Tdi GLS, Silver
This sounds great! I didn't get to make the TDIFest 2003 event due to distance and location, however I got the '04 event in my Outlook calendar NOW! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TeDeEye1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI Premium
Just bought my frist TDI so it only seems fitting that I take it to it's frist TDIFest. Looking forward to the trip from Illinois. Couple of hours at least:) [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Reformed gasoholic
  • 2003 Jetta GLS TDI, Galatic Blue, five on the floor
  • 1998 Dodge Neon Sport, Red, 170,000 miles so far

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Thats all I have to say!

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Huh? I live in New England! Great news! I'd be glad to help with some tasks, though my main strengths (relatively speaking) are writing and editing. Let me know.

S

sooner

i dont think that toronto people should be instructing the boston event

Lineman

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less... own a RAM 1500 Diesel now
mmmm yummy... Too bad mapquest can't find Quahog RI. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
GeWilli said:
So are there gonna be quahogs served at the Clam bake? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Lineman said:
Too bad mapquest can't find Quahog RI. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That might not be such a bad thing /images/graemlins/wink.gif