TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
BMW > VAG lol well hang on, didn’t Porsche purchase VAG??

I’m hunting for a new to me car most likely a BMW, Too bad that 335d is a heart breaker in more ways than one. It needs an M package (which I despise BTW) with a LSD snd a real clutch petal.

I miss my e36m3 dinan, estriol.
Somewhat sadlyjust sold my z3 about a month ago. it needed seats and the top was OG, but I made good money on it AFTER driving it almost 15k. Oh, it needs tires too , the bushings were shot, poor car :(It eas just a Pandemic score haha knowing BMW saves the day ;) I kinda really wanted to ruin it and get a 2.0 TDI coal roller, cage it and make it a track/summer toy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just put M control arms (front and rear) and Koni Special Actives on my base 335d and it transformed the car. Now it actually handles. Transmission tune is next.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's mixed driving. Most of my recent fills are from my daughter driving the car short distances. Some tanks as low as 30 MPG, but some in the 34-36 MPG range. 34-36 is a good highway estimate, but that's also driving at 80+ MPH. It's hard not to do that in this car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Word was that BMW didn't have a manual that could handle the torque that would fit in the 3 series platform. I hate automatics, but the one in this car isn't bad if you keep it in sport mode. I've been waiting for my daughter to end her current visit (she drives the BMW when she's here because it's my only car with an automatic) so I can have the transmission tuned.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Gosh your nice, I’d probably tune it and say get your own car haha.

I read the same thing back on that car first came out, Ive never heard the clam that an auto could do what a manual can’t. But it is made by the unfamiliar ZF and many other models make over 400ftLbs TQ no issues. Maybe it’s low end TQ. I do think outside the US there are some 2.0 manuals. Not sure about the 3.0 tho. I also read that close to half of Bmw autos sold in Europe are diesel.I read They did make a 320d m sport with a 6 speed.

Ironically a nice 328d just piped up locally for 8 k 170k loaded with x drive and I drive. I’m so tempted

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Some BMW diesel trivia: the 328d is a US-only label and is virtually identical to a European spec 320d. They both use the N47 4-cyl engine, which can support a 6-speed manual. Like most OEMs at the time in the US, diesel variants were advertised as a premium trim model. The 320 label in the US was associated with the entry-level F30 3-series (the 320i) and there was concern there would be a disparity between the label and the premium placement, so BMWNA gave US-spec cars 328d. We definitely could have had 328d manuals here in the US, but BMWNA chose to not import them based on a business decision rather than a mechanical limitation.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I read something similar to that. I also read that in Europe BMW sales are almost 50% diesel. There’s just no demand for it in the states.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's sad how junk the m57 is.

I assume this is sarcasm. I took my 335d for state inspection this morning, it passed, didn't run away or catch fire.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
I've had a 2003 TDi Golf 5 speed, 2006 Jetta TDi 5 speed, 2011 Golf TDi 6 speed.

I currently have a 1986 Jetta Turbo diesel 5 speed and recently picked up a 2018 BMW 328d X-Drive (Just sold the 2011 Golf)

I spend ~2 hours a day commuting and I wanted something with a quieter ride, more gimgracks and thingamagigs that would get approximately the same range as the Golf. The LCI 328d does not disappoint. It's got the BEST auto trans that I have ever owned and I have owned a boatload of cars over my lifetime.

So far hand calculated over 3 tanks I'm averaging 43.x. Info center always shows around 45. Not bad. 600 miles to a tank is easy and that's one of my main requirements in a commuter. I do not accelerate gently nor drive it to maximize economy.

The Golf was a great car but I was ready for something different.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
It's sad how junk the m57 is.

The M57 motor is proven, strong, and stout as can be. But the twin turbo control system is total garbage. They really needed to specify turbos with position feedback, like many other state of the art turbo cars. They cheaped out.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
I just put M control arms (front and rear) and Koni Special Actives on my base 335d and it transformed the car. Now it actually handles. Transmission tune is next.
I have an opposite experience. I replaced my original Sport suspension with 140k miles. Although I thought it handled great, everyone who knows more than I do say these suspensions are toast by 100k miles. Since I wanted to listen to those types at the time I went with M control arms and Koni Special actives in the front. While these might be upgrades to a non Sport or a worn suspension, but I've totally lost the BMW driving experience. I have more body roll and just don't feel "planted" like I was used to. I still have the rear Koni's but very hesitant to put them on.
The only other variable is tires, but if tires can negate a suspension, why bother.
Still love this car, but it's not the same.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I assume this is sarcasm. I took my 335d for state inspection this morning, it passed, didn't run away or catch fire.
I believe there is an orchestrated attack on diesel anything right now. Lots of lies and half-truths coming from a particular segment of the population who believes we should drive nothing but EV even though with our electrical grid it wouldn't be possible.

Doesn't stop the attack...just ignore it.

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
gone to the dark side :)
Hey Peter,

Check out https://sutphintuning.com/ for your transmission tune. Don't go with xHP (ask me how I know).

Also, Bradley Tourt, who used to work at TuneMyEuro, has done several swaps including 6MT's in e90's, m57's in e91s, and even ZF8's in e70's. His latest creation was a 1-series that he swapped an M57 with a ZF8 that's heading to auction on BaT in the coming weeks. He offers ZF8 swap kits as well.

I keep debating what's next after my deleted/tuned e70, but I have no answer.... hope you are doing well!

Justin

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I remembered your recommendation about Suphin for trans turning. But I'm honestly on the fence about doing it: In most driving it's fine, and I like the sport mode when I'm in the mood.

I'll look into Bradley Tourt for manual swaps. I didn't think anyone had sorted the programming side of the swap.

I still don't drive the 335 much. It has 71K on it, had 49K on it when I bought it 6 years ago. Meantime IBW just keeps going and going...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Too my 335d to NH today, up to Conway, across the Kancamagus highway to Lincoln, and home. I thought I'd have to make a fuel stop at some point (I had about 170 miles on the fill I started with, all highway), but on the way home I saw this:

The MFI on this car usually reports about 2 MPG low, so I found that pretty impressive.
I made it home, and here's where I'm at.

That was running mostly at 80 (not on the Kancamagus, of course) and some time at 90 on 93 coming home. Not bad for a mid size car with a bigger engine than it needs.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Too my 335d to NH today, up to Conway, across the Kancamagus highway to Lincoln, and home. I thought I'd have to make a fuel stop at some point (I had about 170 miles on the fill I started with, all highway), but on the way home I saw this:

The MFI on this car usually reports about 2 MPG low, so I found that pretty impressive.
I made it home, and here's where I'm at.

That was running mostly at 80 (not on the Kancamagus, of course) and some time at 90 on 93 coming home. Not bad for a mid size car with a bigger engine than it needs.
I had a 335d with the sport suspension/wide rear tires and it didn't get much over 30 mpg. My 535d routinely gets 36-37 mpg on the display and is faster to boot. But I loved driving the 335d more - felt like a sports car vs luxury in the 5-er.

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
I remembered your recommendation about Suphin for trans turning. But I'm honestly on the fence about doing it: In most driving it's fine, and I like the sport mode when I'm in the mood.
Concur that Sutphin is the way to go for the 35d ZF6HP. I think the tune is well worth its while.
Agreed that the xHP tunes aren't worth it, but you'll need the xHP app license to flash the Sutphin tune.

I had DWR back on my 335d and Sutphin on my X5 35d E70, and I found both made a significant difference for day-to-day driving (and I primarily drive in D, not in Sport).

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
We traded my wife's X5 35d E70 on a new Hemi Grand Cherokee Trailhawk back in 2019. She liked the Jeep ok but really missed her E70. When the air ride suspension failed for the 4th time still under warranty I decided it was time to try again. Since I travel so much I prefer my wife to have a car with warranty so I don't have to constantly troubleshoot a piece of **** over the phone from 3000 miles away. While we didn't get another BMW diesel for her, we did get an X3M. Holy crap is that a fun car to drive :)

Makes my 335d feel like my 29 Model A in terms of technology.

IMG_4249 copy.jpegIMG_0255.JPG

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
While we didn't get another BMW diesel for her, we did get an X3M. Holy crap is that a fun car to drive :)
IMO, the B58 (or in this case its M cousin, the S58) engine is a excellent alternative if you had to go gasser.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Lol show us the hand calculated mileage, not the lieometer.
What makes you think these onboard computers are that inaccurate? I've hand calc'd lot s of tanks I've run down until the low fuel light has come on. Onboard computers are pretty accurate. No reason for me not to believe this.

Although you're also the guy that thinks the M57 is the worst engine BMW ever made, so really... I don't care what you think lol.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If someone set the cruise at 70 and ran for 195 miles in a fully warmed up 335D that didn't regen during the run, that kind of FE is probably achievable. But I doubt it's representative of mixed driving throughout a full tank.

The cluster on my 335D actually tends to report about 2 MPG lower than hand calculations indicate.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
If someone set the cruise at 70 and ran for 195 miles in a fully warmed up 335D that didn't regen during the run, that kind of FE is probably achievable. But I doubt it's representative of mixed driving throughout a full tank.

The cluster on my 335D actually tends to report about 2 MPG lower than hand calculations indicate.
In mixed driving I see around 38-40ish, definitely not seeing that kind of mileage over a full tank, especially in the city. Nothing to regen on this car either, it's fully deleted. That was a wee slice in time that simply shows you it's capable of getting fantastic mileage.