TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Great info, What is the best place to buy ISTA? I see a download on ebay or from bimmerdiagnostics.com. Are they both legit? Looks like they are both out of the UK.
Look for a download link, I had a friend send me one but no longer have it. Then get a cable, I got one from either eBay or Amazon. It's a pain to set it up first time but there are plenty of videos and articles on how to do it. It is a great tool to have, saves time and money as well.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Look for a download link, I had a friend send me one but no longer have it. Then get a cable, I got one from either eBay or Amazon. It's a pain to set it up first time but there are plenty of videos and articles on how to do it. It is a great tool to have, saves time and money as well.

+1

You shouldnt need to pay for ISTA, but you will need to pay for the optional ICOM module.

The other nice part I like about BMW is that all their ECU firmware is integrated into a single release, 3 every year. You can flash the car up to get bug fixes or some performance enhancements. My F31 shipped with 2016 firmware and it's running the July 2019 release to fix a EPS issue. On my last F30, it shipped with 2013 firmware and was upgraded to 2016. That fixed a lot of performance issues with iDrive.

BMW isnt going to upgrade your firmware just for the hell of it, like Tesla does. You can DIY it or have a legitimate warranty issue that is fixed by a firmware update.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
This thread is an enabler for me since I have been wanting a 335D for quite sometime. What is keeping me from getting one is that they are not available in a wagon. I wonder how much labor it takes to swap a 335D engine into a 328D Wagon.
Prices on the 335d are coming down nicely ...

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
This thread is an enabler for me since I have been wanting a 335D for quite sometime. What is keeping me from getting one is that they are not available in a wagon. I wonder how much labor it takes to swap a 335D engine into a 328D Wagon.
Few years ago I swapped everything from e46 M3 into 4-door e46. It took about a month. I took a month off from work to do this project. Keep in mind that I only kept body and glass on the four door, everything else is from M3. It took me about three or four days just to swap all the electrical harness, connectors etc. Like I said, everything in that car is from a donor car. If you don't need to swap everything I would imagine a week to 10 days would be plenty of time. I would imagine electronics would be your only headache. Engine out, engine in, shouldn't take more than two days. Just my two cents.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Few years ago I swapped everything from e46 M3 into 4-door e46. It took about a month. I took a month off from work to do this project. Keep in mind that I only kept body and glass on the four door, everything else is from M3. It took me about three or four days just to swap all the electrical harness, connectors etc. Like I said, everything in that car is from a donor car. If you don't need to swap everything I would imagine a week to 10 days would be plenty of time. I would imagine electronics would be your only headache. Engine out, engine in, shouldn't take more than two days. Just my two cents.

I was just over on the e90 forums and read a whole thread on this guy from NC who did the whole swap in addition to a 6 speed conversion as well.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662596&page=6

The ed result is just how the cars should arrive here from Europe. Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined (but willing to learn) to undergo a swap like that.
Muezzin, If I ever get to a project this size I will pm you with questions.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I was just over on the e90 forums and read a whole thread on this guy from NC who did the whole swap in addition to a 6 speed conversion as well.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662596&page=6

The ed result is just how the cars should arrive here from Europe. Unfortunately I am not mechanically inclined (but willing to learn) to undergo a swap like that.

Muezzin, If I ever get to a project this size I will pm you with questions.
We all wish we had better selection of diesels here in America, but because of EV cult that's not gonna happen anytime soon, if at all.
Sounds good, let me know if you have any questions [emoji106]

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
We all wish we had better selection of diesels here in America, but because of EV cult that's not gonna happen anytime soon, if at all.
Sounds good, let me know if you have any questions [emoji106]

I would happy with the European Passat R Tdi Wagon; it would save me from wanting to do a BMW swap ...

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Three cheers for the 335D. The drivetrain in that car is first class.

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
Somebody on the FB group did a 335d engine swap into a 328xi e91 donor:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-335d-2/

Looked amazing.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
For those that like to wrench on their own cars, ISTA and newTIS are essential.
Well, those are a nice tool and resource, but not essential. I've been wrenching on my 335d for 3yrs now and never used either. A good forum and Google/YouTube are your friends, and there are other scanner options that are easier to use, albeit not free.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Well, those are a nice tool and resource, but not essential. I've been wrenching on my 335d for 3yrs now and never used either. A good forum and Google/YouTube are your friends, and there are other scanner options that are easier to use, albeit not free.
I first bought a Foxwell scanner and later BimmerGeeks ProTool app on my Android phone with their bluetooth OBD adapter. I really like ProTool.

Anything those two tools can't accomplish typically is a procedure I wouldn't attempt myself anyway.

The BMW community doesn't really have anything with the combination of functionality and user-friendliness as VAG COM though. VW folks are a bit spoiled in that regard.

Last edited:

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
The BMW community doesn't really have anything with the combination of functionality and user-friendliness as VAG COM though. VW folks are a bit spoiled in that regard.
ISTA. Compared to vcds I believe it's much better tool. It actually guides you through the diagnostic and repair steps, something I've never had in vcds

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
ISTA. Compared to vcds I believe it's much better tool. It actually guides you through the diagnostic and repair steps, something I've never had in vcds

Fair enough. I couldn't figure out how to get ISTA installed. I guess if you can get over that hurdle, perhaps it becomes user friendly. :D

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL

+1

I've used both tools and I like ISTA because:

• Guided troubleshooting and diagnostics
  • Tool will command certain functions within the car so you dont need to do it manually (e.g. sending test tones to the speakers or forcing the i3's REX engine to run)
  • ECU programming and upgrading I-Step

That said, VCDS and ISTA are for two different audiences. Former is a 3rd party tool for enthusiasts while the latter is a OEM tool.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
+1

I've used both tools and I like ISTA because:

• Guided troubleshooting and diagnostics
  • Tool will command certain functions within the car so you dont need to do it manually (e.g. sending test tones to the speakers or forcing the i3's REX engine to run)
  • ECU programming and upgrading I-Step

That said, VCDS and ISTA are for two different audiences. Former is a 3rd party tool for enthusiasts while the latter is a OEM tool.
Don't forget something as simple as bleeding diesel lines after fuel filter replacement so one does not have to crank it for extended time period causing high pressure pump to run without any lubrication.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
My wife and I both love the 328d after 5 weeks and about 1,100 miles. First time she has ever noticed a car's handling.

Averaging 41 mpg combined to boot!

About time for my first oil change.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
This is a very enabling thread ... I am thinking about going for a 335D because of power and a better built and finish than a VW. However power is only useful if you can make full use of it. So lets talk about the overall comfort. Is a 328D or 335D more comfortable than a Jetta with updated GLI seats, upgraded suspension and the works?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Kind of apples and oranges. Driving position and space in the 335d is actually pretty similar to the MKIV. Of course it's quieter, and it rides and steers better, even with stock suspension. The seats are about the same in my base version. The sport seats are supposed to be better.

The big negative for me is the transmission. It's a good automatic, works well, shifts when it's supposed to. And the 335 has so much torque (especially with a tune) that once you're above 50 MPH or so it rarely has to downshift. But I still prefer to drive a manual.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
This is a very enabling thread ... I am thinking about going for a 335D because of power and a better built and finish than a VW. However power is only useful if you can make full use of it. So lets talk about the overall comfort. Is a 328D or 335D more comfortable than a Jetta with updated GLI seats, upgraded suspension and the works?
I have a 2015 Jetta SEL TDI doesn’t have GLI seats not bad but really no comparison to my Highly Option Sport Model 328D X Drive

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I will agree. The Jetta is nice for its low price but the BMW 335d and 328d are in a different league above for comfort, construction, materials, and even reliability IMO. My 535d, in case you are looking, is what the 335d wanted to be when it grew up - better in almost every way except size and fuel pump (I've owned both and driven the rest).

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Kind of apples and oranges.

This. It's hard to compare the two. The 6-cyl N57 engine in the 335d obviously going to perform different than the 4-cyl N47 engine in the 328d. On top of that, they are only available in their respective generation of 3-series. So you end up comparing 425lb-ft of torque on a 3800lb 335d vs. 280 lb-ft on a 3400lb 328d.

The 3-series N57 is only available in the E90, a well respected drivers platform, but older. I think the last model year was 2010. It still has hydraulic power steering and a tighter suspension. That said, these cars are starting to push 10 years in age.

The 3-series N47 is only available in the F30/F31 (2014-2018), which received a lot of flak for shedding a lot of the old fashioned driving feel the E90 had. EPS replaced hydraulic steering, but also enabled a lot of the driver assistance tech available in this generation.

Your best of both world is getting a N57 in a more recent platform: The F10 535d.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
After driving VW Diesels for over 27 years, I bought a CPO 2016 535d M Sport. The car has 21K on it. Actually I bought it in May 2020 and so far have been using it on the weekends. My daily car is still a 2010 Jetta TDI. The 535d is a very different vehicle.. The inline 6 cylinder engine is much smoother and very responsive. The moment you step on the gas pedal, the response is almost instant..also it's quieter at highway speeds. If you don't pay attention you might be driving 80-90 mph and not even be aware of it. The decoupling system (transmission/engine) on ECO mode is useful. I will eventually give my 2010 Jetta MT to my teenage son who is 16 years old, then 535d will be my daily driver.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I seriously considered buying a 328d in '18 before they ended production. Drove one extensively. Decided against it in part because of cost and depreciation: I think it only makes sense to buy a new BMW if someone else (like an employer) is paying.
But the other reasons were that the e90 and M57 engine is preferable (to me, anyway) for a number of reasons:
  • Better (hydraulic) steering
  • No screen (on my base version)
  • Smoother and quieter engine
  • Better interior materials (slightly, it still amazes me that a 50K car isn't significantly better than a $22K VW)
  • Fewer nannies (stop start, etc.)
I give up 5-7 MPG for the bigger engine, but 34 versus 40 isn't huge.

Finding a clean 335d may be challenging, however. Mine has 64K miles on it and I'm basically the second owner, so it's pretty nice. But most I see for sale now have well over 100K miles on them.But they don't cost a lot.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Capt slow-my 335d is a 2011 and was the last year, the 535d was available longer. My wife had an X5 with the N57, also a 2011. I have moved on to gassers and sold the X5. The 335d is our spare now, it’s got some mods and I haven’t considered selling it yet.

The 335d is absolutely amazing in the snow, surprisingly so since it’s rear wheel drive. I drive a total of 50 miles per week now and my wife commutes 5 miles each way so diesel is no longer a good option for us.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of all, after owning a 2011 335d sport package, my "standard" 535d is much better in most categories including much better fuel economy. The LCI F10 had significant steering improvements that make it better than the F30 3-series even with sport options (I drove the m335i extensively at BMW drivers experience in Greenville and the LCI standard 5-series is better)

I've said it before, the 5-series is what the 3-series wants to be when it grows up. No real comparison to any VW unless you talk about the long-gone Phaeton which my Mercedes W211 beat in every way.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm surprised many on the TDI boards don't talk about the diesel Jaguar XE. My wife's car outhandles any BMW or VW that I've ever driven. It makes me think modern Porsche Boxster handling when I drive it. Fantastic and the diesel engine purrs like a kitten!

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I'm surprised many on the TDI boards don't talk about the diesel Jaguar XE. My wife's car outhandles any BMW or VW that I've ever driven. It makes me think modern Porsche Boxster handling when I drive it. Fantastic and the diesel engine purrs like a kitten!
I would like to hear what other BMWs have you driven before to make that comparison? According to every car/auto magazine/publication Fxx series BMWs are one of the worst bunch when it comes to handling.
For those that are looking for a F30, F31 or F10 chassis and like sporty handling find one with adaptive suspension, it makes a night and day difference. I'm not sure if that option was even available on 3series diesels here in NA but you can definitely find it in a 535d. Ohh, and good luck finding one, very rare option on a fiver diesel, I guess not everyone wanted to fork out few grand on better suspension.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would like to hear what other BMWs have you driven before to make that comparison? According to every car/auto magazine/publication Fxx series BMWs are one of the worst bunch when it comes to handling.
For those that are looking for a F30, F31 or F10 chassis and like sporty handling find one with adaptive suspension, it makes a night and day difference. I'm not sure if that option was even available on 3series diesels here in NA but you can definitely find it in a 535d. Ohh, and good luck finding one, very rare option on a fiver diesel, I guess not everyone wanted to fork out few grand on better suspension.

I have not tried the active suspension but most of my criticism of BMW is related to the electric steering which on my LCI F10 is passable. The E90 sport option steering was too heavy IMO, coming even from a Carrera 3.2. The W211 was sublime as a luxury suspension handler - never caused a tire screech or skid. Loved the E90 staggered summer-tired sport suspension on the track which didn't happen with the F30 M-package or the same year 2-series M235i at the BMW center.

Loaner G30 530e felt more lively with 19 inch all-season RFT's than my 535d with 18 inchers, while a recent loaner M340i had tight handling and great acceleration but still heavy-feel unlike the Jag.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't think there are many around. I never see XEs on the road, diesel or otherwise. An occasional XJ or F-Type, but that's about it.

I drove an Ex when they came out. Liked it, but the experience wasn't particularly compelling. Our local dealer still has a few new '18s and 19s. Prices are pretty reasonable.