TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Seems a little counter productive.
Not really.... for now I'm running a RaceChip tune and that feels great. Its nice driving something with a warranty and having that peace of mind. In 4 years time I can decide to either keep the car and modify it further, which will stretch my interest a bit longer.. or maybe I'll feel like upgrading to something newer. Plus right now theres only one option for a downpipes.. and they're charging a ridiculous $1K, no thanks.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I followed your lead, Pete- I left the MB for the BMW club.

Traded in my 2008 e320 bluetec for a 2014 535d xDrive. Imperial Blue Metallic with Cinnamon Brown leather. Heated steering wheel & seats (front and rear). Ventilated front seats with 14-way adjustments and back massager. Heads up display, rear camera & parking sensors. Adaptive LED headlights with auto highbeams. New Continental run flats.

It has 85k miles so I did go with the extended warranty sold by the used car dealer. Bumper to bumper for 72months/75k mi. Also got the wheel & tire warranty.

Figured since the MB turned 10 this year that it was time to part ways. Great driving car still. They gave me $1k less on the trade-in than what I would have asked for a private sale. I figured the sales tax benefit and minimal hassle was worth at least that much.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Congrats!! I don't have the back massager! I'm jealous!! :) I didn't know they're even offered in the 5 class.

Those Adaptive LED are pretty cool.. I love mine, but I usually keep the auto high beam turned off.

Enjoy the car!

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Took the X5 on its first road trip, averaged about 30 mpg on the highway. Had a fun time taking it up the closest thing we have to curvy "mountain" roads here in MN. It was also fun climbing the grade out of Duluth at 70 mph and 2000 rpm in 6th gear with not even an unlock from the torque converter...my old truck and my wife's car need 3rd gear and a lot more rpm to do the same speed.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Handsome ride. Looks to be in excellent condition.
Thanks! I bought it with about 54k on it, up around 57k now. Spent all of its life in Austin and Lubbock Texas before the previous owner moved up to MN and traded it off for a Merc. I don't know if they just didn't drive it much, or if they had a real short commute. I guess I will find out when I take a look at the intake. It is in like new condition, appears to have been maintained well.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Thanks! I bought it with about 54k on it, up around 57k now. Spent all of its life in Austin and Lubbock Texas before the previous owner moved up to MN and traded it off for a Merc. I don't know if they just didn't drive it much, or if they had a real short commute. I guess I will find out when I take a look at the intake. It is in like new condition, appears to have been maintained well.
Congrats!

My 2012 X5 35d had 52k miles on it when I bought it (CPO deal) in 2014. Now at only 190k miles and climbing. :cool:

The same rules for driving TDIs properly also apply to BMW diesels: Drive it like you stole it. :cool:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
First speeding ticked in the 535D after only 2 months of ownership :(

68 in a 50... Usually I get let go with a warning, I work at a hospital and the cops consider it professional courtesy... but I wasn't in my area so he didn't care where I work.. lol .. oh well.

Its too easy not to speed with 500+ tq.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
First speeding ticked in the 535D after only 2 months of ownership :(

68 in a 50... Usually I get let go with a warning, I work at a hospital and the cops consider it professional courtesy... but I wasn't in my area so he didn't care where I work.. lol .. oh well.

Its too easy not to speed with 500+ tq.
I bet!
But better 68 in a 50 instead of 142 in a 70, amirite?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
I was offered driving school by the court where I had a speeding ticket to null my record of it.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I was offered driving school by the court where I had a speeding ticket to null my record of it.
I have that option if I choose to show up to court.

But that means I either just pay the $120 ticket and have it go on my record for 2 years.

or

Show up in court and
Pay $120 fine
Plus I think $50 court costs
Plus $100 for safety class
Plus needing to take a day off work.

I would go to court if I already had a few recent tickets and I needed to keep this one off my record.. But my last speeding ticket was almost 3 years ago on my motorcycle up in WI.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
If you can try the safety class. Allstate was going to gouge me for one ticket. You never know where the speed traps are.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Ended up buying an extended warranty at my local BMW dealer.

Extra 4yr/50K for $3200, bumper to bumper with towing and up to 5 day car rental per incident. My factory warranty is expiring beginning of July and this way I won't be losing any sleep.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Ended up buying an extended warranty at my local BMW dealer.

Extra 4yr/50K for $3200, bumper to bumper with towing and up to 5 day car rental per incident. My factory warranty is expiring beginning of July and this way I won't be losing any sleep.
This sounds like a better deal than I've experienced. BMW dealers are free to price this profitable sale pretty much as they want.

TM

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
This sounds like a better deal than I've experienced. BMW dealers are free to price this profitable sale pretty much as they want.
TM
So true... I called 3 different local dealers and received 3 very different quotes for the same coverage... The highest was almost $8K.. lol

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
6 months ago I traded in my 13 passat TDI for a CPO 535D M SPORT.

So far loving the idea of still driving a diesel but with the added bonus of tons of torque compared to the 2.0L.

I even occasionally use the turn signals as a tribute to my VW roots, even though owning a BMW exempts me from their use.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
6 months ago I traded in my 13 passat TDI for a CPO 535D M SPORT.

So far loving the idea of still driving a diesel but with the added bonus of tons of torque compared to the 2.0L.

I even occasionally use the turn signals as a tribute to my VW roots, even though owning a BMW exempts me from their use.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HA!

I'm almost at 3 months with my 535D M Sport and totally echoing your post... If I would have know about this BMW blinker law I would have purchased one much sooner!

With the tune this car is a monster off the line and averaging low 30s with mostly just commuting to and from work on regular roads and quite a bit of rush hour traffic.

Things I like the most about the car..
Adaptive Headlights.... very bright and intuitive
Power
Handling
Heads Up Display
HUGE display screen with tons of options
Interior lighting.. warm glow lights from the door trim.. to the dashboard lighting turning from white at daytime to red at nighttime.
Power closing trunk
Throaty exhaust sound at full throttle.. it almost sounds like a V8

Things I dislike..
The armrest located on the door is just a smidge too narrow.. but I've finally gotten used to it. I was spoiled with the large armrest on the E320.
Sometimes I feel like the A-pillar is too wide and feel like I need to look around the right side A-pillar when making a left hand turn, in case theres a car coming I don't see.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Almost a year with my 2014 CPO 328D X-drive.....I didn’t want or need the 335D and I love this car! I still have my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI it is also a great and Amazing Car ! The BMW is more!

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
So true... I called 3 different local dealers and received 3 very different quotes for the same coverage... The highest was almost $8K.. lol
You can get an after market warranty from anyone in the business. If you know someone, ask them. That is your best deal.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Love wagons, but steer clear of x-drive. These will start dropping in value considerably in next year or two, just like the 335d & e70 x5d have.
there are lots of these out there coming off lease...value is already decreasing rapidly.i paid 32K 1 year ago today....car is worth about 20K now
this car was 50K new....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One guru here says if you change the lubricant in the transfer case every 20K miles it'll do fine. I think it's listed as a "lifetime" fill. People don't like to change it as the gear oil is about $90/liter, but it doesn't take much. 6 oz or something like that.