TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I too, have now joined the dark side.

2010 335d, 120k miles, one owner, Florida car. Only options are Sport Package w/ paddle shifters. Almost new ZR rated tires.
If you didn't know your BMW's you'd think it was a brand new car.

Like most I was looking for low mileage and lot's of options. (The make or break option for me was it needed the Sport Package).
I had driven a 335i at the dealer about a month ago to see how I liked the car and I told them then that I was looking for a 2011 "d" model and what my price range was. They said "good luck". A few weeks later they called and had this car as a trade it. They couldn't "Certify" it so they were going to wholesale it and for $10k I could have it. After their mechanics looked it over they discovered it needed an new Active tank in the SCR system. Estimated repair cost $1700. Since they weren't going to put any money into the car they said I could have it for $8k. Geez, it still took me the weekend to decide. They did detail it and fill up the tank for me.

Of course I was always going to do an alphabet delete so the bad Active tank was a bonus.
Also going to look at the intake for cbu.
It's smoking fast when I get on it, but still getting use to the heavy/stiff pedal and throttle response vs the Jetta.
There is limited maintenance history from BMW service or carfax, but hoping the po used his own mechanic to maintain this thing.

Questions:
Do the scan tools that are needed to do certain things like change break pads and re-register the battery time-stamp the ecu for those things? Wondering if I can look there for clues when stuff was last done.

If I get the exhaust replaced at a shop can I drive the car back home, say in limp mode probably, so I can install a race pipe before getting a tune?

How do you button up the DEF/SCR system after you change the exhaust?

Accepting replies or PM's.
Thanks!
Congrats!! That's one sweet ride!!

Check further back in this thread because I recall posting about software to scan the car and tweak things. VCDS (VAG-COM) works on BMWs as a generic code scanner in Generic OBD-II mode. It can't see BMW specific stuff but you can look at some live data in addition to the generic OBD-II stuff.

Rheingold ISTA/P and ISTA/D are scan tools worth getting. P=programming, D=diagnostics.

Be sure to drive it like you stole it to help minimize CBU and keep it running perfectly. The 335d appears to be geared a little taller than the X5 35d having the same engine (E70 X5 35d). The X5 35d is known to have less CBU issues, probably due to higher load on the engine and higher average RPMs. Maybe drive the 335d in Sport mode (DS) instead of normal D mode to help keep the RPMs up and stay in the torque sweet spot so it's more ready to go when pointing and squirting into traffic. I tend to use Sport mode a lot in my BMWs.

Good luck and congrats on your purchase!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I too, have now joined the dark side....
Jealous that you only paid 80 hondos for that :eek:

I payed almost double that for my 2011 with 50k miles last December. My SCR system failed leaving me stranded with a no start condition 500 miles from home on a business trip, so I did an alphabet delete and stage 2 tune and the difference in power is stunning.

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
I payed almost double that for my 2011 with 50k miles last December. My SCR system failed leaving me stranded with a no start condition 500 miles from home on a business trip, so I did an alphabet delete and stage 2 tune and the difference in power is stunning.
Yeah, hell of a deal, especially as you're going to go the alphabet delete route.

I paid more than double that for my 2009 335d last August too. My SCR hasn't left me stranded, but I'm going to go the delete+tune route too for peace of mind and a bit of fun.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
To be honest, there was a $699 dealer fee (welcome to FL), $500 tax and $200 plate fee. Approx $9,500 TOTAL.
Hope it doesn't leave me stranded before I get around to working on it. Right now all is good. Just a Service soon light on.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
To be honest, there was a $699 dealer fee (welcome to FL), $500 tax and $200 plate fee. Approx $9,500 TOTAL.
Hope it doesn't leave me stranded before I get around to working on it. Right now all is good. Just a Service soon light on.

Nice ride and welcome to the club!

There is a NA 335D/x5D facebook group if you are interested.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
I am liking my 328D more everyday I drive it....Added a few goodies, Splash Guards, Factory warning Triangle (Europe) First Aid Kit, wheel locks, rear Spoiler, clear reflectors in the front and Asphirical Mirrors from Europe
Link to the aspherical mirrors? Do they still auto dim and do they have the cool looking blue (anti-glare) tint like previous gen BMWs?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I find the driver's side mirror on my wagon indispensable. Passenger side is a little weird. I haven't decided whether or not the BMW needs one. But my MKIV VWs have a huge blind spot.

n1das

TDI
Congrats!! That's one sweet ride!!

Check further back in this thread because I recall posting about software to scan the car and tweak things. VCDS (VAG-COM) works on BMWs as a generic code scanner in Generic OBD-II mode. It can't see BMW specific stuff but you can look at some live data in addition to the generic OBD-II stuff.

Rheingold ISTA/P and ISTA/D are scan tools worth getting. P=programming, D=diagnostics.

Be sure to drive it like you stole it to help minimize CBU and keep it running perfectly. The 335d appears to be geared a little taller than the X5 35d having the same engine (E70 X5 35d). The X5 35d is known to have less CBU issues, probably due to higher load on the engine and higher average RPMs. Maybe drive the 335d in Sport mode (DS) instead of normal D mode to help keep the RPMs up and stay in the torque sweet spot so it's more ready to go when pointing and squirting into traffic. I tend to use Sport mode a lot in my BMWs.

Good luck and congrats on your purchase!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5233376&postcount=149

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I've never had any luck with aspherical mirrors, looking forward to a review.
I have had them on every VW TDI and my Hybrid Jetta except my 15 Jetta which has blind spot monitoring! wish I had this on my 328d I have however added these Asphirical mirrors and they are Great and we're play and play! Love these! My 328D is highly optioned however it does not have Blind Spot and lane departure....

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
What's a good source for folding mirrors, and how hard is the retrofit?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
BMW Safety...

My daughter's 525xi was totaled tonight :mad: not her fault and she is OK. I am amazed that everything from the windshield back was unharmed, and my daughter walked away with a seatbelt bruise and an airbag bruise.

Utility truck ran a stop sign at a highway crossing. My daughter was stopped facing the truck as it came across, she was waiting until traffic cleared to cross. The utility truck was T-boned by a small car (the driver of that car was transported from the scene on a backboard), and then the truck hit my daughter, who was stopped at the stop sign, head on.

I just gave her the car yesterday, and she just washed it an hour before the wreck. I hope the utility truck insurance settlement will allow us to replace the car with another just like it, it was immaculate.

I am so happy she wasn't driving the Mini Cooper or one of her old MKIV TDI's, because I think the winch bumper on the utility truck would have come through the A pillar on one of those.

When the wreck happened, the BMW automatically turned on the hazards and called emergency services. Her car was moved back about 150 feet. I am very happy I was not on the road this week, and I was literally 3 blocks from the scene when I got the call.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
+3

Glad your daughter wasn't hurt and that the BMW did to job to protect her in a crash. I really do love German engineering for protection.

That Ford Fiesta did not fare so well. Hopefully that driver will recover quickly.

And the utility truck driver needs to have the book thrown at him. The photos suggest that he not only ran the stop, but was speeding.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Give your daughter a hug. My kids have collectively been in a number of accidents, and seeing the damaged car and knowing my child was in it is one of the worst feelings I've experienced. Last time I reminded my son that if he never did that again it would be fine with me.

Actually it looks like the Fiesta did exactly what it was supposed to do. Front of the car crumpled to absorb the impact. I suspect the doors aren't closed because they'd already extracted the driver. People tend to mistake cars that sustain damage as weak. Instead it's a safety strategy.

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Vey scary scene. Great to hear that your daughter was relatively unharmed. My kids are just learning to drive. Nerve wracking!

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
My insurance company settled with me on the e60 with check in hand in two days. They will be going after the at fault drivers insurance to get my deductible back. I assumed the at fault drivers insurance would pay us directly but whatever. Replaced the e60 with an immaculate e90 328xi 6 speed manual with 70k fewer miles so that's a plus.

My daughters bruises are still huge but otherwise she is ok. Thanks for the kind words from everyone :)

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
I’m starting to get a rough idle on my ‘11 335d and the steering position sensor codes. Little things That add up that we’re never a problem on the tdis.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
turns out I need the media blast. $3900 and 4 days in the shop, joy.
You might want to shop around a bit. I've heard that independent shops are doing this for far less. It might even be worthwhile to take it to AARodriguez in Georgia.

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
Ouch, $3900 for CBU is brutal.

But yeah, alphabet delete will help avoid that in the future ;)

n1das

TDI
New BMW Technical Information Site (TIS). Not affiliated with BMW. Check it out.

www.newTIS.info

:cool:

Last edited:

xoman60

TDI
Passat SEL Premium, 2013 and a jetta GLS, 2002, black, 2011 jetta TDI
New BMW owner

Just bought a 2014 535d xdrive last week. Has 34k miles and almost every option in carbon black metallic and brown leather interior with M sport package. I still have a 99.5 jetta tdi manual. I'm not sure what I will do with it. Probably sell it at some point. After turning in my 2011 jetta tdi and 2013 Passat tdi for dieselgate I decided to make the switch to bmw diesel. What an impressive car. I feel like driving everywhere again and for any reason. My 05 F150 and 2010 Harley will be parked and little used I'm afraid in the future.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
My Vermont dealer has a CPO 2014 535d with under 10K miles.

Hope it was driven a lot, seldom, rather than a little, daily.