TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

LeadTech

banned
TDI
Golf Mk2 1.6N
Any of you classic car owner guys catch this recent story via Hagerty Insurance?
Thats really a two-parter....

First, the transmission is not a kickstand. There is no shifter interlock in pre-86 Mercedes so the parking brake is really required for safety.

Second, as noted in the comment below the story, why did the owner withdraw his portion of the claim on his own policy and pay for repairs for two vehicles out of his own pocket?

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
An update on my '05 CDI. Water pump gave out at 107k. Easy job with the stock metal gasket, no messy sealant.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Buddy has a OM647 from his sprinter that he bought in a non running conditions. I am not sure if the motor ran away but the turbo had huge play in it when I removed the motor for another 647 in good running shape.

Question is anyone have any info on swapping in one in a W123? I know it's not too hard to wire it up to run but I am curious about the engine mounts and such. Also would like to use a manual transmission vs the sprinter auto

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Did it Yourself

An update on my '05 CDI. Water pump gave out at 107k. Easy job with the stock metal gasket, no messy sealant.
:)

Maybe I could have tackled that job myself, but it looked to be a rather difficult job and I 'chickened' out!
Might have saved the $255 I spent for labor at my independent shop.

Mine let go at 132,425 miles.

BTW, I like to read your notes on Fuelly. Why did you stop making notations there? :confused:

:D

Regards,

DHG

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
:)
Maybe I could have tackled that job myself, but it looked to be a rather difficult job and I 'chickened' out!
Might have saved the $255 I spent for labor at my independent shop.
Mine let go at 132,425 miles.
BTW, I like to read your notes on Fuelly. Why did you stop making notations there? :confused:
:D
Regards,
DHG
Doing the water pump wasn't much different than the 5.0 in the '90 Mustang. The brace above the radiator unbolts, the radiator hoses are all quick disconnect (like the B5.5 TDI air charge hoses), electric fan lifts straight out and you have tons of room to work. Belt tensioner is standard (should have replaced it but didn't) and the secondary idler on the pump is self tapping (like the thermostat triangular support plate).

I was doing my fuelly entries from the mobile interface on my Iphone at the fuel station, so I didn't have time to make notes. Although there hasn't been much to say, the car runs great. Hell, it took me 2 days to notice the water pump blown seal (I was working nights and didn't see the liquid in the dark), about 120 miles of commuting and losing coolant. :rolleyes:

If there is one I would change on this car is the suspension. Way too soft and pliable. I need to install the HD Bilsteins or a set of Koni's and go from there. Eibach has some better sway bars which may help but the dampers come first.

Happy motoring to all.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Hey, what is this, a secret society of...Hmm I don't currently own any M-B's but like them a lot, especially the diesels of course.
I've owned these:
1. 220D -71 with 750k km on the clock.

2. 190 2.5D -88. 185k km when I bought it. Never intended to keep this very long but it was a really nice car. The 5-cyl diesel sounded sweet.

3. 300TE -92 Sportline. 24-valve 220hp straight six and a 5-speed automatic. Only downside with this was the engine, should have put a diesel in it but sold it instead...

Then I've owned two coupés together with my dad, both were bought to fix up and sell.
1. 250 CE -72 (?) A straight six with electronic injection, very nice ride. White with brown leather interiour.

2. 300CE -92 Same 220hp engine as in the wagon I had. We never got this one to run, got too good of an offer in the midst of the restauration ;)

250CE, 190 2.5D, 300TE-24
I have to quote myself and tell you guys that I actually bought back the 300CE the other day! It's obviously not a diesel but I really like the lines of the W124 Coupé and since the guy who bought it from me some 3 years ago never got it to run properly I gave him an offer that he accepted.
I hope I get the idle issues sorted, could be a billion things that are faulty, Electro-mechanical injection showing its worst side :(

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
OM 616, 617, 617A engine cores available- ST. Louis MO

I'm desireing some space and am ready to part with some of my hoardings, engine cores mostly- I say "cores" but they are really just dead motor take-outs, injection pumps and turbos (if any) are still attached.

I don't want to sell them for scrap, would rather get a few more bucks from someone who will utilize them. Several other parts for W123 diesels negotiable as well, suspension, a turbo trans, trunk lid, and some rough but cheap black seats etc...all on the cheap. For example, $250 for the complete 617A "core" out the door.

Will need you to pick up. I can lift motors into an open bed. SERIOUS PM inquires only, I AM a hermit! :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's interesting. Surprising how dated the cars seem, although still nice. I suppose it was 26 years ago...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
For your consideration:

Allow me to introduce my 1995 S350 Turbodiesel. Bought ~1 year ago.
The S350 was notorious for it's poor reliability. They are known as "Rod Benders". Search for W140 Diesel. There aren't many out there.

This particular example had a rebuilt engine at 158k miles, and it still has less than 168k. The rebuild contains fixes for the design shortcomings that led to bent rods. The rebuild was billed at $15k, I have the receipts. I've averaged 24MPG over the last year, all in town, in a barge.

I love it, but sadly, I think it's time to move on. I'm up to 4 cars now that the 2013 JSW is here.
I own one as well, a 92 300SD, same car but they rebadged them all when they changed the nomenclature in late 93. I was lucky and got one with a MB replacement engine...prior to that it was consuming oil at a rate of 19 qt per 3k miles.

steve

trbizwiz

TDI
R320 CDI
Ok I am new to the TDI club. But I just traded off a Prius for my first diesel car. I have had diesel trucks. We just bought a 2007 Mercedes R320 CDI. It only had 50,000 miles. It's a beautiful car. We actually test drove a high mileage version at the local MB dealer that had the petro engine. Just wanted to get a feel for the car. But we knew we wanted the CDI.
I was surprised how well the leather held up for a five year old car with a 100,000 miles. So we started our search and several months later found the R that fit our needs. We are a family of 5 and we want one more. Our seats 6.
Right out of the gates we took a 3000 mile round trip to FL. I could not believe how much less fatigued we were versus driving the Prius. I've taken that trip many times in the Prius Bd there is no comparison. It is well worth the extra fuel to travel in comfort.
The old car next to the new one on trade in day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice. Sometimes it is about the quality of the transportation vs the fuel economy. In my case the fuel economy is the same (B5.5 Passat tdi - '05 E320 CDI) with a bump in size and quality.

JP-8

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI 6M
I own two Benz's!

-1997 E420 (best car I've ever owned)
-1985 300SD (S class w/ OM617 diesel engine). My friends tell me I look like a Saudi prince driving it!

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Don't have a Benz, never have. But I like the looks of the R320! + not a whole lot different on the interior compared to an Odyssey. and ++ they are Diesel!!
The used price$ look pretty good to me.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Joining the newer part of the SSBO with a 2014 GLK250BT. Impressed with the build quality, fit and finish, and the torque that the 2.1L bi-turbo OM651 puts out. Better pics to follow when all this crappy snow buggers off... :(

Regards
D.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Congrats! Do you still have the 335d?
Tom, I do...still going strong at 150,000km - awesome car.

We're just missing an Audi (and a Porsche) from our home's all-German diesel 'fleet.'

I'd be very interested as I heard rumblings about an OM651-powered CLA when we were picking up our GLK.

Regards
D.

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
I bought a 2014 MB GLK250 4M BT 3 weeks ago and sold my last Jetta to my brother in law this week.
It all started when I got bored with my 2006 Porsche Boxster S after 3 years and bought a gas 2010 E350 4M. It's a great car for Montreal potholes and long range highway driving but I missed the diesel fuel mileage. The GLK is more manoeuvrable around the city and gives 33mpg new in urban driving. The E350 is around 24mpg. I might spring for an E250 BT in another year or two when finances permit.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Hey, thanks for the order. Saw in the comments you got a GLK. We like those a lot. I love the E250 but it's a little big for what I want: wish they put that engine in the C-Class. GLK makes more sense, IMO.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I have to look for pix of my last MB Kombi 1983
Bought it with 361,000 miles and sold it with over 600,000 miles
Tears are still in my eyes, that car was just perfect. Was my Daily Driver, over 300 miles a day.

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
Hey, thanks for the order. Saw in the comments you got a GLK. We like those a lot. I love the E250 but it's a little big for what I want: wish they put that engine in the C-Class. GLK makes more sense, IMO.
Nice to do business with you guys again. It might be wishful thinking but I thought I read somewhere they are planning a diesel powerplant for the C-class in 2015.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Perhaps, but sadly the 2015 is going to be larger (again) and now built in Alabama. The current C-Class is already the same size as my W124 E-Class. And the current E-Class seems enormous to me.

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
Perhaps, but sadly the 2015 is going to be larger (again) and now built in Alabama. The current C-Class is already the same size as my W124 E-Class. And the current E-Class seems enormous to me.
Yes indeed, I call mine the Queen Mary on wheels. The handling in slush is also reminiscent of an ocean liner despite expensive winter tires.