TDIClub Secret Society of Benz Owners (SSBO)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

roundout

Veteran Member
TDI
5 speed ALH
Funny story this weekend involving some Benzes.

My dad called me from an estate sale and told me they had an old Mercedes that had been sitting for 4 years that $100 would buy. I went over there with some tools and a battery charger to see what was up. It turned out to be a 1987 560SEL, which I've been kind of digging here lately. It was in rough shape but I figured for $100 maybe it'd be worth fooling with. I asked permission from the estate sale people and pulled my nice looking 300D up in the driveway and hooked the battery charger up to the 560.

I went back inside to look at stuff for sale and after I walked around for a bit, I overheard a woman excitedly telling somebody on the phone she was going to take pictures of an old Benz that the estate had for sale; she told the caller that the seller had said the car was rough but she didn't agree. After a few more minutes another gentleman was having a similar conversation. I couldn't understand why people were so excited about this worn out 560SEL that doesn't run.

I went back outside and found 3 separate parties out back taking pictures of my own Mercedes and arguing about who had been there first. I had a few laughs and apologized to them. One lady was pissed and said her husband was already on the way over. I told her I'd take $4000 for it when he got here and she got upset. About that time the totally dead battery on the 560 started giving my charger a bunch of faults so I unhooked it and went home, giving up on the $100 560. It was an entertaining way to spend a few hours and a cup of coffee on a Saturday morning.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i loved my 84 300 td.. although the '76 240d was so charming. my 87 w124 was a turd though.. go figure. I have been eyeing w211 cdi's lately. The fuel economy on the w210 320 turbo diesels is not very good. I have been seeing 2005 cdi going for $16-19k - a screaming deal IMO. Nothing engineered so simple and rugged as the w123's though. Go to the superturbodiesel forum if you havent. People are getting 300hp out of their w123's! I think the low hanging fruit is modding the fuel pump.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
i loved my 84 300 td.. although the '76 240d was so charming. my 87 w124 was a turd though.. go figure. I have been eyeing w211 cdi's lately. The fuel economy on the w210 320 turbo diesels is not very good. I have been seeing 2005 cdi going for $16-19k - a screaming deal IMO. Nothing engineered so simple and rugged as the w123's though. Go to the superturbodiesel forum if you havent. People are getting 300hp out of their w123's! I think the low hanging fruit is modding the fuel pump.
When I got my T&C I did a green sheet (3% back of dealer cost IIRC) buy/trade and dealer put about $19,300 in my car. But the car was very low mileage at 77,xxx and loaded except no navigation.

I'm really loving everything about the T&C.....except the 15 mpg in town where the the Benz got 25 mpg and that is bugging the heck out of me thinking that the Europeans got a diesel version in the VW/T&C van.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Today I got to service a real gem. 1976 W115 300D with 120K original miles. Local older guy inherited it from his father in FT. Lauderdale who bought it new. Garage kept. This car shows it's age way less than my 77 and is in really great condition with no rust, little rot, cracking, visible aging, etc. He did have it repainted. It was interesting to see the differences between W123 and W115. WAY better oil filter setup in the W123 but I prefer the W115 fuel filter setup. I am not a professional mechanic, just helping the guy out with some scheduled maintenance. Yes, it has a radar detector AND a trailer hitch.

The car is silver, it is reflecting the green grass in the front yard.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I love the W115. I guess they really are antiques, now. There was a 220D that looked good in pictures for sale recently in upstate New York. I managed to show restraint.

993cc

Veteran Member
Ottawa ON, Canada; Paul Smith's, NY, USA; Amherst
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi Wagon, Bought September 2009 with 60,000 Km on the clock. Died September 2013, at 142,000 km. in a collision with a moose. 2006 MklV BEW Jetta wagon Bought October 2013, 136,000 Km.
Looking for URL

A friend just bought a '79 300SD turbo diesel. Does anyone know the URL of a Benz Diesel owners forum I could refer him to?
Thanks

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Any opinions on the V6 Bluetec E320 over the CDi ? I can find the BTec fairly easy and I'm not a fan if the servotronic brakes on the 05-06 models.

Any mods for the CDi as far as nozzles or big turbo upgrades ? I realize it's common rail, aside from chip upgrades.. Anything else ? Thinking of downsizing from two cars into just one good big car.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Any opinions on the V6 Bluetec E320 over the CDi ? I can find the BTec fairly easy and I'm not a fan if the servotronic brakes on the 05-06 models.

Any mods for the CDi as far as nozzles or big turbo upgrades ? I realize it's common rail, aside from chip upgrades.. Anything else ? Thinking of downsizing from two cars into just one good big car.
I really have no complain whatsoever about the brakes.
As far as the Mods a KD-box will give you more power than what you need, you will notice that the rear tires will not last as long as before anymore:eek:

Eventually I will get jeff to laid his hand on it:D

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
I was wanting something that was / is going to last my TDI drive train at 200,000 miles was still new the rest of the car was another story clear coat starting to come off , head liner was falling down and other thing that where not normal wear items.

I looking at the diesel MB's I wanted something that's going to last.
The brakes took some getting use to but everything else is going to be hard to beat.
I can not get my mind around the idea of a motor with 18.5 compression in a aluminium block so a CDI it was for me.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Today I went over and adjusted the valves on the 1976 300D mentioned in an earlier post. It was very nice to actually work on a car in the shade and those valves were way out of adjustment. I doubt the valve cover had been off for a decade or two at least.

In the garage sat the owner's "Sunday car", a beautiful 1964 280CE convertible in extremely good condition. The car is on its third motor, this one is a freshly rebuilt 1969 5L V8. Pretty sweet, for a gasser.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
He lives off Salerno to the west of Kanner. He's got a great house and it is a nice area, just next to Stuart Yacht. His canal is off the S. Fork St. Lucie and is packed with big boats including a 97'. I was surprised to see all those big boats so far up the river. It seems like every house has a large sportfish out front.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Today I went over and adjusted the valves on the 1976 300D mentioned in an earlier post. It was very nice to actually work on a car in the shade and those valves were way out of adjustment. I doubt the valve cover had been off for a decade or two at least.

In the garage sat the owner's "Sunday car", a beautiful 1964 280CE convertible in extremely good condition. The car is on its third motor, this one is a freshly rebuilt 1969 5L V8. Pretty sweet, for a gasser.
Those are some really nice cars! How much did the valve adjustment tools cost you? I need to adjust the valves on my w123.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Those are some really nice cars! How much did the valve adjustment tools cost you? I need to adjust the valves on my w123.
The benz wrenches are pretty spendy, I made my set by heating a couple regular 14mm wrenches with a torch and bending them to the proper shape. Ground down one of the open ends because the lower nut on the valve adjuster is short. They work great, no inter-wrench interference.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
Have had both--the V6 is way quicker than the I6 and you get the 7-speed transmission vs the 5-speed in the earlier model. Not very likely you'll think you need aftermarket power add-ons once you own one, but they can pretty much only be ECU fixes, as you probably aren't going to find piezo-electric injectors at $700 each, etc.

Phone and Sirius will be there on the newer models; you'll have to find the earlier model optioned with them, as that wasn't so prevalent then.

The Internet got out of hand (as it often does) regarding the SBC brakes on the earlier models. There were a bunch of one-time niggling problems that were all fixed under warranty and now the cars are fine. In any event, the system has a 10-year warranty extension, which I'm sure MB took out of Bosch's hide. I personally like the pedal feel of the SBC-equipped car better.

The earlier cars lived a portion of their lives pre-ULSD fuel, so there have been some EGR problems reported. Can also require replacement injectors and glow plugs and have not seen that reported as regards the newer V6.

As for DIY, better stick to brake pads and oil changes, as the rest is pretty high-tech. For example, change of V6 air filter requires computer reset.

Pretty interesting reading here: http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11498/?requestedDocId=11498

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Have had both--the V6 is way quicker than the I6 and you get the 7-speed transmission vs the 5-speed in the earlier model. Not very likely you'll think you need aftermarket power add-ons once you own one, but they can pretty much only be ECU fixes, as you probably aren't going to find piezo-electric injectors at $700 each, etc.

Phone and Sirius will be there on the newer models; you'll have to find the earlier model optioned with them, as that wasn't so prevalent then.

The Internet got out of hand (as it often does) regarding the SBC brakes on the earlier models. There were a bunch of one-time niggling problems that were all fixed under warranty and now the cars are fine. In any event, the system has a 10-year warranty extension, which I'm sure MB took out of Bosch's hide. I personally like the pedal feel of the SBC-equipped car better.

The earlier cars lived a portion of their lives pre-ULSD fuel, so there have been some EGR problems reported. Can also require replacement injectors and glow plugs and have not seen that reported as regards the newer V6.

As for DIY, better stick to brake pads and oil changes, as the rest is pretty high-tech. For example, change of V6 air filter requires computer reset.

What I would like to know is how long did you own your 05 CDI?
I know a five year old car with 5500 miles when you got it can have EGR problems with the fact that is was never driven far or long enough to clean its self out.
Did you have it shipped from Florida to Nova Scotia or did you drive it?
It sounds like the CDI you got was not taken care of.
Its hard to tell from the date when you got the car.

Last edited: