TDIClub Converts!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
At last weekend's fest we encountered at least two TDIers that were not clubbers but had stopped by and had a great experience as a result. I wanted to share one of the stories.

Two young guys stopped by in a '03 Jetta sedan with mountain bikes on the roof. They had heard of the Fest somehow (perhaps on NPR) and wanted to see what was going on, but planned to stop by on their way to ride. The car owner (forgot his name) was having problems with low power and poor mileage. TDIinRI (Tom) hooked up his computer and wasn't sure what the problem was, but thought it was a bad MAF. They next got into a long conversation about TDIs with me, Chris Hill (mrchill) and Tom about the cars and how to maintain them. As we talked the idea of chipping the car kept coming up. They disappeared for a while and returned when we were taking the group picture and I suggested they go to talk to Jeff about their power problem and get chipped. They were a bit tentative, which was understandable since they'd never met us, visited the site, or heard of RocketChip.

Long story short I walked up to where Jeff was at about 9:00 PM and they were just coming back froma test ride after getting a new MAF and RC2. The driver had that classic 'chip eating grin' on his face. Loved it. We stood around talking a while longer and I asked about fuel additives. They don't use any. So I grabbed my personal mix out of my car and dumped it in his tank (he had 3/4 of a tank. The driver then mentioned that he had a hard time getting the gauge to read full after filling. I asked about a ventectomy and he gave me a blank stare. Next thing we know Tom has tools out and is operating on his car.

I keep thinking about these guys and smiling. Here they stopped by with no expectations and drove away with a lot more knowledge, a car that runs better than ever, will now easily go 700 miles on a fillup.

That's what this club is about, supporting each other and helping get the max out of these cars. We encouraged them to post, and I hope they do.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Funny, I also talked to two guys about Rocketchip and better fuel economy...wonder what happened there. Maybe the same two - who knows!

Congrats on your first conversion!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Julie, they were really, really tall, and quite young (but everyone seems young to me these days. I think they decided to do the RC because everyone they talked to gave them the same story.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
The one I remember was really skinny...

The important part is that we agree that RC is the way to go! I'd love to find out the total # of newly chipped cars from this event!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Indigo, was the '03 you mention a gasser or diesel??

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The one I remember was really skinny...

The important part is that we agree that RC is the way to go! I'd love to find out the total # of newly chipped cars from this event!
That was the car owner's brother. I think I heard Jeff say he chipped 40+ cars.