TDI withdrawal symptoms :(

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
So, last thursday 3/23 I turned in my 2013 Jetta 6speed TDI. It was kind of sad and even though its only been a few days I do miss that car a lot. Even more than a built 2012 Jeep Wrangler I traded in on a Golf R back in mid February.

Anyone else going through withdrawal/depression :) ???

Dieselchen

Banned
TDI
2011 Golf 6M
So, last thursday 3/23 I turned in my 2013 Jetta 6speed TDI. It was kind of sad and even though its only been a few days I do miss that car a lot. Even more than a built 2012 Jeep Wrangler I traded in on a Golf R back in mid February.

I'm afraid I will too... thats why I keep pushing my buyback date back and see if there is hope... for a "fix" + compensation

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
So, last thursday 3/23 I turned in my 2013 Jetta 6speed TDI.........I do miss that car a lot. Even more than a built 2012 Jeep Wrangler I traded in on a Golf R back in mid February............

I HAVE A 2013 JSW TDI 6M. While i understand your pain - as the diesel sets the fuel economy bar way up there - a Golf R would seem a VW on steroids!!

6-speed manual + no CLOTH seats (real leather). I guess the EPA highway is probably low for a fuel economy savvy driver.

.....again, I sure hear you.

Now I plan to add the Golf R to my short list (but I'll need to tap my USNR $$$)

all the best, ez

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
When I scratch my nose there's no longer that inadvertent whiff of diesel. Now it's garlic or something.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I got to drive the JSW yesterday for the first time since turning in her Golf last month. Going from the JSW to a GMC Canyon 5 speed has taken some getting used to. Biggest thing is that I can't ease the throttle and cruise from 60 to 80 without breaking a sweat in heavy traffic. In the canyon, I now have to drop a gear to get that oomph.

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
I HAVE A 2012 JSW TDI 6M. While i understand your pain - as the diesel sets the fuel economy bar way up there - a Golf R would seem a VW on steroids!!
6-speed manual + no CLOTH seats (real leather). I guess the EPA highway is probably low for a fuel economy savvy driver.

.....again, I sure hear you.
Now I plan to add the Golf R to my short list (but I'll need to tap my USNR $$$)
all the best, ez

I ended up getting the DSG Golf R. First automatic car I've ever owned in my 20+ years of driving. Definitely a lot of fun but I'm getting almost half the mileage (TDI averaged ~42mpg, Golf R is ~24.1mpg)!!!

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
I ended up getting the DSG Golf R. First automatic car I've ever owned in my 20+ years of driving. Definitely a lot of fun but I'm getting almost half the mileage (TDI averaged ~42mpg, Golf R is ~24.1mpg)!!!
I know the feeling!! I traded in my 2011 Golf TDI for a 2017 GTI SE and my gas mileage went from 40s to high 20s... I feel like I'm fueling up every other day... the pickup is a bit more awesome tho :)

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Strangely, my wife hasn't missed the Passat as much as I thought she would. There hasn't been that much of a mileage penalty with the 6, and it is a sportier ride.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
My TDI's will be gone by 5 Apr. Loved the Passat and will be easing my withdrawal by picking up a CPO '15 MB E250 this week. I refuse to give up the fuel economy, and the Merc is almost the same color as the Passat. Not looking for a sporty ride. Just German quality. We also have a 2000 MB C280. A power seat failure has been the only real problem in 17 years of ownership. At buyback I'll try to keep the VW front badge and tape it over the three pointed star on the Merc to remind me how stupid I was for letting go of the Passat.

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
Nope, none, nada, zip, zero. I absolutely LOVE what I drive again, every 19 MPG of her.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Ive been going through withdraw as mine's just parked in the driveway, hooked up to a battery charger and waiting buyback; Ive been running around in the wife's 2.0T for several weeks..

Its replacement should take my mind off it; though I'm sure one day I'll wish I had it back.. like I always do; heh.. I know im going to miss the tight turning radius, getting the kids from our neighborhood elementary school in the boats means circling the block to head back home.

Local VW Dealer has a track day next weekend; really tempting to take it out for one last hurrah! but bah insurance would **** me if someone hit me and the weather looks like its going to be snow.

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Nope, none, nada, zip, zero. I absolutely LOVE what I drive again, every 19 MPG of her.
haha I'm the opposite - I traded in my JKU (that I built up - not bought like this) and don't miss that at all.
My 2 boys (shetland sheepdogs - see Dexter looking out rear window!) probably will miss the off road fun we all had. And come summertime maybe I will - top and doors off was definitely a blast.

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
haha I'm the opposite - I traded in my JKU (that I built up - not bought like this) and don't miss that at all.
My 2 boys (shetland sheepdogs - see Dexter looking out rear window!) probably will miss the off road fun we all had. And come summertime maybe I will - top and doors off was definitely a blast.
Awe, dogs are the best! I had a Blazer that I loved and wanted to get back into an SUV, I missed sitting high. As soon as I logged on the Jeep website and saw the Unlimited I knew that was it! I love the body style.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
My wife drives alot, almost 30k a year and i thought i would definitely miss the 2015 passat tdi, especially the mpg. I have however consoled myself and got her a 2017 A4 Quattro that absolutely puts a big smile on my face and has returned 35.4 mpg hand calculated over the first three tanks. Not to bad.....hope they are not cheating on this one too.

Last edited:

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
1998 Jetta, 2017 Jaguar XE 20d
I turned my Jetta in on March 23rd, but no TDI withdrawal. There is a Jaguar XE 2.0 diesel in the garage. Yeah, I know, apples to Asian Pear comparison. Early results include 40 MPG in town, and handling beyond compare.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Just completed my buy back this evening. Really saddened as the Jetta has been an amazing vehicle and has required nothing beyond normal maintenance for all of its 241,060 miles. So yes... going through a little depression.

I had estimated 237K miles at turn-in time, and with 241K miles, my buyback was lower by $500. I didn't think, given those miles, the buyback would have been very different.

Hopefully the replacement vehicle will be as trouble free. :fingers crossed:

Last edited:

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Had my buyback offer letter and went to test drive a new 2017 370z. I've had my eye on them a long time. I wasn't too impressed with the power though compared to my tuned TDI. For most daily driving it had less usable power. Only above 5500rpm had decent pull. I'm in love with the torque of the TDI with the stage 3.5 tune and the exceptional mileage. I'm going to keep the vw so I've decided to do some mid cycle updates if you want to call it that. Adding foglights and 19 inch enkei wheels with 1.5 inch lowering springs

donallen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6M
I know the feeling!! I traded in my 2011 Golf TDI for a 2017 GTI SE and my gas mileage went from 40s to high 20s... I feel like I'm fueling up every other day... the pickup is a bit more awesome tho :)
You are an example of why I think this settlement was wrong-headed. VW broke the law and should have been punished appropriately. But the settlement, which is having the effect of getting the vast majority of these TDIs off the road, only to be replaced by something that is a lot less fuel efficient (because fuel is too cheap, partly due to fracking and partly due to the fact that we don't properly tax drivers to compensate society for the environmental damage they do; Europe does, we don't; hell, environmental damage isn't even in the GDP calculation, an illustration of how short-sighted we are), was just dumb, in my opinion. Why? Because in an attempt to eliminate the VWs' excessive NOx emissions (of which they represent a tiny fraction of the total NOx problem in the US; think trucks, buses, diesel locomotives, airplanes), the settlement is having the effect of greatly increasing the CO2 emissions of the (former) TDI owners. Which gas is the greater threat to the human race?

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Turned in our second TDI on Saturday. Now we are also without a TDI. We do have a GLI 6MT that is also a blast to drive but will not be buying a diesel ever again. Different power band than the TDI but just as exciting when you get on it!

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Nope; still have some "TDI" love with my BMW so nothing to miss. Well, except the Golf was slower, less luxurious, rougher driving, and smaller. ;)

(OK, I admit I do miss the manual at times, but commuting is overall so much better now that it rarely sticks)

Last edited:

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
Yeah, I miss my '12 Passat SE, especially when loafing along interstate at cruising speeds all day, passing by the fuel pumps with abandon. Wife has a 180 mile roundtrip commute, 2-4 days a week and she misses it too. But the '17 Alltrack SE is awesome--agile, and oh so responsive and and fun to drive.

• Better distribution of power, no more spinning wheels when you start off from a stop.
  • It holds the road like a leech, and responds so much faster to steering inputs.
  • The seats rock!
  • The rain sensing wipers do too.
  • The cruise control is awesome--held speed on 7-9% grades with NO break input (fully loaded with 5 cases of wine and more).
  • Adaptive CC is amazing.
  • Quiet, quiet quiet! Even with the Falkens, which are so much better than the Hankooks!
  • Visibility is great--even my wife talks about it.

Yeah, but the TDI was special!

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Still getting my Turbo Diesel fix every day. Maybe it's not averaging 42mpg on my daily commute, but I'm happy with the 26mpg it consistently delivers. I wonder if FCA will be buying this one back from me?

Not actually my truck, but mine looks exactly like it including the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:
TDI
Golf
I miss the fuel economy of my 2012 Golf TDI 6 spd manual. Averaged 38-40 mpg in everyday driving. The 2017 GTI SE 6 spd manual is averaging 24-26 mpg in everyday driving. I took it up to Napa last week and overall fuel economy including heavy highway driving was nearly 32 mpg. Still nowhere near as efficient as the diesel! :(

111R

TDI
2010 Golf - Bought Back by VW
I miss two things about my TDI, the great fuel economy and parking it wherever I wanted because I wasn't worried about door dings and scratches because of the buyback.

About 5 weeks after my buyback, I took delivery of the Chevy SS I ordered last October and the timing couldn't have been better as it was during a 20% off sale because GM had too many cars in inventory due to the high numbers of truck and SUVs they're selling.

From TDI to a car with a gas guzzler tax on the window sticker. 'Merica!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Yeah, I miss my '12 Passat SE, especially when loafing along interstate at cruising speeds all day, passing by the fuel pumps with abandon. Wife has a 180 mile roundtrip commute, 2-4 days a week and she misses it too. But the '17 Alltrack SE is awesome--agile, and oh so responsive and and fun to drive.
  • Better distribution of power, no more spinning wheels when you start off from a stop.
  • It holds the road like a leech, and responds so much faster to steering inputs.
  • The seats rock!
  • The rain sensing wipers do too.
  • The cruise control is awesome--held speed on 7-9% grades with NO break input (fully loaded with 5 cases of wine and more).
  • Adaptive CC is amazing.
  • Quiet, quiet quiet! Even with the Falkens, which are so much better than the Hankooks!
  • Visibility is great--even my wife talks about it.
Yeah, but the TDI was special!

The Alltrack is a Golf R wagon! same running gear, just a smidgid lower on power.

Always amazed at how quite and composed on the highway it is compared to the jetta

linux_author

Veteran Member
TDI
Phase II Emissions modified 2015 Golf TDI S SportWagen
VW broke the law and should have been punished appropriately.
the fact that we don't properly tax drivers to compensate society for the environmental damage they do; Europe does, we don't; hell, environmental damage isn't even in the GDP calculation, an illustration of how short-sighted we are
hooboy...

1. what is 'appropriately'?

2. what is 'properly tax'?

3. 'compensate' who in society?

4. America should adopt a European (or more properly an EEC) vehicle tax model?

5. GDP, as you know, stands for Gross Domestic Product, and negative externalities such as pollution are not included (along with others, such as volunteering, bartering, homemade goods, gray-market sales, etc.)

willie
on the warming Gulf of Mexico