TDI Winterizing?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It gets a tad cold here in Maine. I always use an additive (white Power Service) and have never had fuel gel but have had to rescue several people who didn't add it, they all do now. The fuel here is winterized but still gels, FWIW.

I added a battery blanket and it's been a great addition. I don't use it at work since there is no outlet. On the sedan I use an oil pan heater, which does help. I also installed one on the wagon (we have steel oil pans) despite it having a block heater (not a Frostheater). These are on timers that come on 4 hours before I leave for work and all the plugs are tied to a junction so there is only one plug I need to worry about. Prior to a few years ago I had no additional heaters but they do make a huge difference. The coldest I've started my TDI unaided was -35°F in the White Mountains and it ran fine but not smoothly for the first few minutes.

Last year was the first time I ran a front (homemade) grill block and I am sold on them. The Scangauge usually won't read above 160°F when moving and with the block it easily and quickly comes up to temperature and stays there until I am at idle, when it'll drop. The thermostats are new and functioning fine.

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
So my car won't overhear with corpoplast directly on the radiator? I don't want it to overheat sitting in traffic or anything if it's a "warmer" winter day... Otherwise I think I will give that a try and leave it at that!

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
So my car won't overhear with corpoplast directly on the radiator? I don't want it to overheat sitting in traffic or anything if it's a "warmer" winter day... Otherwise I think I will give that a try and leave it at that!

Nope.

But I wouldn't do it without a way to monitor the water temp.

jetta00-1.9

TDI
2000 jetta 1.9L
Get fuel additive mine gelled up in -16 degree weather suck to sit on the side of the road when it's that cold

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Nope.

But I wouldn't do it without a way to monitor the water temp.
I've run mine into the 50's F with the coroplast covered radiator, but I do monitor coolant temp via ScanGauge. No problem sitting/idling, and most of the time until I remove it for the season you can easily control the coolant temp by varying the cabin blower fan setting.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've run mine into the 50's F with the coroplast covered radiator, but I do monitor coolant temp via ScanGauge. No problem sitting/idling, and most of the time until I remove it for the season you can easily control the coolant temp by varying the cabin blower fan setting.
I have run my block at higher temps than that and haven't observed any issues either.

I think it would be unwise to block the radiator and not watch the temps in case something in the cooling system malfunctioned.

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
Yep, ok. You folks are wise. I agree that I should have a way to monitor temps before I install the coroplast.

I would rather keep an eye on it just in case. And I dont even have a rough idea since theres no temp gauge on the NB. Kind of a pain in my opinion. But I will make sure to set up a way to monitor my temps before I put the coroplast in.

I like the idea of a scanguage

Last edited:

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yep, ok. You folks are wise. I agree that I should have a way to monitor temps before I install the coroplast.

I would rather keep an eye on it just in case. And I dont even have a rough idea since theres no temp gauge on the NB. Kind of a pain in my opinion. But I will make sure to set up a way to monitor my temps before I put the coroplast in.

I like the idea of a scanguage
That is how I do it....you can find pretty good used deals on them.

b1g-al

TDI
2000 beetle
Things I do is I wrap my hoses with foam pipe insulation this helps maintain heat I also carry 2 gallons of kerosene in the event of noticing a jell up Most times your fuel comes treated and what happens is a filter will actually start to wax or cloud. In 15 yrs working on semis in Wisconsin have only 4 times witnessed jellied fuel. Stay away from loves and pilots. Crappy fuel I also uses a quality painters tape and tape my hood seams to better hold heat. If you feel a loss of power do not shut of engine pull over and try to maintain a high idle to circulate fuel and it will clear up if not to bad or plan on walking
And always a fresh fuel filter for winter and keep tank above half full. And if your serious about winter prevention heated silicone filter wraps are avaliable from article fox. And if you want the best get a heated racor fuel filter. 12v thermostatically controlled and over 95%water removal

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Unfortunately my trip computer/fuel usage won't work because I have the VSS switched off due to low rpm shudder due to the tunes. I do gauge fuel usage through the GPH used, however, and am pretty good at driving for economy when I want.

Regardless, they're worth getting. I bought both of mine used and they've been rock solid.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
If anyone is considering using coroplast to cover the rad, I made a "HOW TO" last year, and it really is very easy. It was on MK4 Jetta but I'm sure the Golfs would be very similar.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=428973
I use Torque Pro to monitor temps.
Like most have mentioned, winter tires, fuel additive (I use PS white jug), blanket, I also keep a tow rope and booster cables (a must) in the trunk.

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
Thanks TDIGAZ.. Appreciate the how to.

I'll see if I can find a used scanguage or similar of my choice to try and save money.

This is a good thread here we have going. Very useful. I'm sure it will benefit others.

-Mike

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
For what it is worth I got my sheet of coroplast at Home Depot....or Lowes....can't remember.

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
There must be a local ordinance in my area....it is like they are gone the second the polls close!
There in an ordinance here in TN but most still leave them. Road crews usually take care of them bushhogging.I like keeping the larger ones. They are perfect to put under a vehicle to lay on. Most are bright so it's easy to find bolts you lay on it. Very handy

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI 5-spd
I'm in Cleveland with a 2004 Golf 5-speed. I do an oil/fuel filter change in the fall, and that's it. Over the past 2 winters with extended 0˚ temps, the only problem I had was my e-brake froze in place (my skid plate had rusted off not long before, so maybe extra exposure made it more vulnerable). It does occasionally take a few tries to get the vehicle started; once started, though, I don't have a problem.

The vehicle handles well enough, and Cleveland is flat enough, that I've never felt the need for winter tires, so I just keep on my general-purpose touring tires. Given the advice ITT about fuel additives, I will try that so I can get away with driving a bit less often over the winter.

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI 5-spd
Oh, and whoever mentioned keeping your gas tank at least 1/2 full--that's good advice. Doing it year-round improved my fuel economy by 3-4 mpg.

lxrubin

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Why would keeping a 1/2 tank help fuel economy? One of the greatest things about the TDI is that I don't need to re-fuel for 800kms

TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI 5-spd
Why would keeping a 1/2 tank help fuel economy? One of the greatest things about the TDI is that I don't need to re-fuel for 800kms
Ya know, this is something that several people told me, and my fuel economy *has* improved in the year I've been doing it. But in scouring the interwebs just now I find that both Snopes and Click & Clack say it's b.s. along with some other folks. So nevermind. :D Must be something else I'm doing.

However, a real benefit is that I start looking for diesel a bit sooner, so I'm more likely to take advantage of good deals when I find them.

notabiker

TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
The only real reason I've ever heard of for keeping the tank over 1/2 is for in tank fuel pump longevity as the fuel keeps it cooler and less space in the tank for air and thus less chance/amount of condensation occurring in the tank.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Another reason is that if you get stuck in a blizzard/ditch, you've got more fuel to run the car and heat up the cabin (yeah, well, maybe not on some TDIs) and run/charge electronics.

Not a huge reason, but a reason.