TDI want start after service

Winn

I took my 1997 Passat to an auto shop that specializes in working on foreign cars (comes highly recommended). It has 117K miles on it. The following services were performed:

- Timing belt,
- V belts,
- Water pump,
- Fuel filter,
- Oil filter,
- Flushed radiator,
- Replaced oil pan,
- Etc.

It smoked excessively and I had to add a quart of oil at 3500 miles.

The car was picked up on Monday and driven home (27 miles)by my daughter. At 5:00 a.m. on Wednesday morning on my way to work, within half mile from my house the car died. The starter turned but the car want start. I had it towed back to the gargarge. The owner worked on it most of Tuesday; he even brought in a mechanic after hours from the VW dealership and still cannot find the problem.

The owner said he checked the new timing belt and it seems to be installed correctly. He said if he can't find the problem he may have to take it to the VW dealership. He said the computer on the Passat could be the problem.

Has anyone had similar problems and what are some of the potential solutions?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
In order for a diesel engine to start, you need fuel, you need compression, you need proper timing, and if the temperature is below 10 degrees C you need heat. Which one of those choices is at fault?

[ December 11, 2002, 17:43: Message edited by: GoFaster ]

Winn

The car
- has fuel,
- is properly timed (As far as I know),
- has proper compression, and
- the temperature was fine.

I was driving the car around 30 MPH when it died. Relay 109 was changed by the VW dealer about 20K ago.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
couple of possibilities.

1. major air leak around the fuel filter. Check for air bubbles in the fuel line.

2. timing belt slipped, hopefully just on the pump. Could be due to the tensioner not being set correctly, or maybe one of the pump stretch bolts was reused and loosened or snapped.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Where is the car? If youd like, I'll take a look at it and should know whats wrong within minutes.

These arent hard, and if it takes them any longer than half an hour to determine WHY it wont start, theres somthing wrong!

email me or give me a call.. 571-330-6882.

Winn

The car is at the garage in Woodbridge Va. I live in the Fredericksburg area. Probably a bit far from Lakeridge.

Thanks for the offer.

Winn

The mechanic said he check for timing belt slippage.

Would a bubble in the fuel line cause a complete shut down?

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Originally posted by Winn:
The car is at the garage in Woodbridge Va. I live in the Fredericksburg area. Probably a bit far from Lakeridge.

Thanks for the offer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lakeridge IS woodbridge...

what shop? ace?

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
If its in woodbridge, I'm probably no more than 5 minutes away. Call me on the number above if your intrested.. ive been working on these for years for a local dealer and if you like, i'll help you get it back on the road.

gimme a call.. I'm awake all the time!

Winn

Sorry the 571 area code threw me.

The car is at Laslos across from Karen Radley Acura VW.

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
doubt if the timing belt slipping ifn the tensioner is lined up. probably timing if off and you should check it.