TDI vs TSI, what to buy?

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
I currently have a 2016 Golf R and previously owned a 2012 JSW TDI. I am moving to Mexico City and want to replace the Golf R with a Golf wagon. I love the Golf R but the 19" rims would not last a week and it would bottom out on the numerous topes. I will keep it plated in the U.S. but it will spend most days unused in a garage in CDMX. I need the car for rare trips back to the U.S. with my large dog and not large wife. I will also use the car for short trips around Mexico with 4 adults and stuff. I will drive less than 6000 miles a year.

I plan to buy used and want a MK7. I will resell the car in 4 or 5 years.

I am considering a 2015 TDI S, DSG with 34,000 miles and a 2017 TSI S auto with 20,000, they both cost 17K.

Which will have a higher resale value in 5 years? Which will cost less to maintain?

I am leaning towards the 2017 TSI but I did like the TDI I previously owned and I assume it will retain it's value better? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

RARROYO

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
It's a matter of personal preference because if you are only driving an average of 6k a year then you probably won't benefit from the 2015 Tdi, which is 2 years older than the 2017 TSI model you are comparing. I guess it also comes down to the price of gasoline in Mexico as well? Does Mexico charge more money for regular than diesel and is it available in many areas? I believe they will both hold their value pretty well, its just the bottom line price of what you are paying for the car and which one is in better condition. The 1.8 liter is pretty peppy and fuel efficient as well. Both vehicles are great but i would go with the newer model because of updated features and technology.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
If you are concerned about resale value get the TDI. They may not bring the diesel to the states ever again so your resale value should be strong.

Also if I were going to a 3rd world country like Mexico having a utilitarian vehicle is important and again I'd go with a diesel. Having that monster torque may come in handy.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd be curious to know if TDIs sold in Mexico has similar emissions hardware as the ones sold here. If so it would reassure me that correct fuel and service, if needed, would be available. If not, maybe a TSI is a better choice. And if you think you're going to be on a lot of marginal roads when down there an Alltrack might be a good idea for the additional clearance.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd choose based on fuel quality. Fuel price would be less of a concern at 6k miles/year. If ULSD isn't widely available, go for the tsi.

labzilla

TDI
2010 Jetta
I'm in the US, but have similar question, TSI vs TDI. I'm looking for a CPO Golf, only been shopping for a couple of weeks. I had my 2010 Jetta TDI for 3 years, and I really don't know if diesel has higher maintenance fees. I had the oil changed at the dealer and the price is the same as a gaser.

I'm concerned with all the modifications VW will be doing to fix the emissions. I drive an average amount, but I like the TDI fuel economy.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Since a TDI is to save $$$ on fuel as a primary goal, and fuel is CHEAPER IN MEXICO, why would you buy a TDI, then run it on the wrong fuel (no ultra low sulfer fuel)?
Sounds like a problem in the making.
That and how many TDI cars with USA spec are in Mexico?
Maybe a different emissions spec sold in Mexico for the fuel...
Serving a rare car....with a rare (in Mexico) fuel...
Why bother? You are not saving $$$ cause Mexican gasoline is cheap!!

RARROYO

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Labzilla,
I'm not sure where you live in New Jersey but I believe that Hamilton Volkswagen still have a few leftover 2015 new Tdi's on the lot. You can contact a great salesperson, who is a straight shooter named Peter Capriotti. He was a gentleman and I've purchased several cars at this dealership with no issues, they also followed VW's strict policy of maintaining the cars on their lot monthly by driving them as well as servicing them correctly. I also believe that the rebates are still in effect for these vehicles as well (0% financing for 72month with a $5,000 rebate and $8,500 lease rebate), it might be worth looking in to this as well.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
Thanks for all the advice!

I'm going to keep the Golf R, put 17" wheels on it, a skid plate and take it to Mexico. I visited a few VW dealers to try to arrange an early lease return with the purchase of another car and they are just too ****ing greedy. I'll keep the car until or if I ever get a permanent residency visa. There are a quite a few interesting cars available in Mexico that are not in the U.S., like Audi S3 hatchbacks, Q7 4.2 TDI V8's, Renualt Clio RS, Seat Cupra, M135i hatchbacks etc...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
all the cars you listed sound like great drug runners! ditch the US market and buy from Mexico!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is zero chance I would buy something in Mexico that was available here. They have SO many more choices. I'd probably go with a stripper Gol or even a Crossfox. Something we can't get here, something small and cheap that would likely be better for there anyway.

Too bad they no longer have older models available there.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
Too bad they no longer have older models available there.
They do have old models as new still. The last 3 generations of Jetta are or until recently were sold as new. I rented a Gol, it was awful, it reminded me of a early 80's car, no safety, no power and terrible non ABS brakes. I am interested in maybe buying a Crossgolf, a FWD Alltrack with a 1.4t engine but the Crossfox is too flimsy. Lots of Audi Q5 and Touareg TDI's are also fairly cheap compared to the USA, but my first choices are probably the V8 TDI Q7 or a M135i or S3 hatchback, not similar cars but equally exotic to me. I found a private buyer here in the USA for my Golf R so I get to shop in Mexico :D I will certainly buy a VW Safari to stay at the beach house, if I ever actually get around to having a beach house..

labzilla

TDI
2010 Jetta
Labzilla,
I'm not sure where you live in New Jersey but I believe that Hamilton Volkswagen still have a few leftover 2015 new Tdi's on the lot. You can contact a great salesperson, who is a straight shooter named Peter Capriotti. He was a gentleman and I've purchased several cars at this dealership with no issues, they also followed VW's strict policy of maintaining the cars on their lot monthly by driving them as well as servicing them correctly. I also believe that the rebates are still in effect for these vehicles as well (0% financing for 72month with a $5,000 rebate and $8,500 lease rebate), it might be worth looking in to this as well.
I live near Hamilton VW & I've talked to Pete. I'm not sure about buying a "fixed" TDI, might get a TSI.

After Dieselgate, do TDIs still hold their value? The only TDIs on the market are 2015, so there isn't much to compare them to.

VW is making a lot of software and hardware modifications to have these vehicles meet emissions standards. I don't want a car that will require a lot of repairs because of the modifications. I know VW has extended the warranty because of the modifications.

I probably should start a new thread.

oilhammer

TDI
They do have old models as new still. The last 3 generations of Jetta are or until recently were sold as new. I rented a Gol, it was awful, it reminded me of a early 80's car, no safety, no power and terrible non ABS brakes. I am interested in maybe buying a Crossgolf, a FWD Alltrack with a 1.4t engine but the Crossfox is too flimsy. Lots of Audi Q5 and Touareg TDI's are also fairly cheap compared to the USA, but my first choices are probably the V8 TDI Q7 or a M135i or S3 hatchback, not similar cars but equally exotic to me. I found a private buyer here in the USA for my Golf R so I get to shop in Mexico :D I will certainly buy a VW Safari to stay at the beach house, if I ever actually get around to having a beach house..
Heh, I think your definition of "old" and my definition of "old" are very different. :p

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I rented a Gol, it was awful, it reminded me of a early 80's car, no safety, no power and terrible non ABS brakes.
Sounds perfect for a life of little hassles & cheap transportation.

oilhammer

TDI
Sounds perfect for a life of little hassles & cheap transportation.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. If I could buy my 1979 Rabbit diesel "new" today, you bet your butt I would. Cheap, reliable, easy to service, easy to operate.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Yep, my thoughts exactly. If I could buy my 1979 Rabbit diesel "new" today, you bet your butt I would. Cheap, reliable, easy to service, easy to operate.
And my least favorite charateristic: easy to die in.

New cars are WAY safer than designs from the 70's.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
And my least favorite charateristic: easy to die in.
New cars are WAY safer than designs from the 70's.
And my personal belief is that's why so many people drive so poorly nowadays. They feel invincible behind the feel: a false sense of security.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess the most famous fatality in a late 70s Rabbit was Harry Chapin, but eyewitness accounts had him turning right, from the left lane, in front of an 18-wheeler on the LIE. Not sure that was the car's fault.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Yeah, I don't crash. Seems easier that way. Carry on... :)

(BTW, motorcycles are still legal for sale, too.)

Being an awesome driver (which I'm sure we both are) only reduces chance of death in a car.

You can drive anything you want.

Around 300 people will die in cars today in America. I'm trying real hard not to be one of them.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I guess the most famous fatality in a late 70s Rabbit was Harry Chapin, but eyewitness accounts had him turning right, from the left lane, in front of an 18-wheeler on the LIE. Not sure that was the car's fault.
His car had a sudden power loss..news stories said it had been in for repair a couple times.....we had a 78 or 79 (if I recall right)rabbit...like ours, it had been in several times...still did it randomly...was kinda like a limpmode before limpmode... VW did suddenly work a bit harder to fix the issues after he died...PR did help to save others...
Also was part of another emissions scandal....the cats were failing...and VW was having the dealers run a rod up the tail-pipe to hollow them out... cheaper fix than fixing them.
VW was caught.
Same car was also recalled...for frame issues/unibody subframe cracking....when ours went in it was half broken...
After the "fix" we had two huge humps under the passanger and driver's side front floor...
Yup... VW was still up to so e if the same old games back then.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Being an awesome driver (which I'm sure we both are) only reduces chance of death in a car.
You can drive anything you want.
Around 300 people will die in cars today in America. I'm trying real hard not to be one of them.
Well, I can't actually. If I could, I'd probably be driving a Lupo TDI or maybe a Polo TDI, and I would not have a new Sprinter in my driveway I'd have a new Crafter.... and they'd all have three pedals.

I try hard to not crash, and so far I have been successful. I'm not one to go overboard surrounding myself with "what ifs" to the point that I am afraid to leave my house. I wear my seat belt, I don't tailgate, I use my turn signals, my lights are on when it is rainy, and I keep all my cars in good order. I see people in "safer" cars than mine in our shop every day with bald tires, loose tie rods, nonfunctioning lights, and I see countless morons all over the roads driving with a cell phone in front of their face, tailgating, speeding up to a red light then slamming on the brakes, not signaling, driving in pouring down rain with no lights on, and every other manner of stupidity you can possibly imagine. All the safety equipment in the world can't overcome stupid. I place more value in my wits than my car. ;)

Million+ miles and counting. Still here.:cool:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I can't actually. If I could, I'd probably be driving a Lupo TDI or maybe a Polo TDI, and I would not have a new Sprinter in my driveway I'd have a new Crafter.... and they'd all have three pedals.

I try hard to not crash, and so far I have been successful. I'm not one to go overboard surrounding myself with "what ifs" to the point that I am afraid to leave my house. I wear my seat belt, I don't tailgate, I use my turn signals, my lights are on when it is rainy, and I keep all my cars in good order. I see people in "safer" cars than mine in our shop every day with bald tires, loose tie rods, nonfunctioning lights, and I see countless morons all over the roads driving with a cell phone in front of their face, tailgating, speeding up to a red light then slamming on the brakes, not signaling, driving in pouring down rain with no lights on, and every other manner of stupidity you can possibly imagine. All the safety equipment in the world can't overcome stupid. I place more value in my wits than my car. ;)

Amen.

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta, 2013 JSW, 2015 PASSAT SEL
I live near Hamilton VW & I've talked to Pete. I'm not sure about buying a "fixed" TDI, might get a TSI.

After Dieselgate, do TDIs still hold their value? The only TDIs on the market are 2015, so there isn't much to compare them to.

VW is making a lot of software and hardware modifications to have these vehicles meet emissions standards. I don't want a car that will require a lot of repairs because of the modifications. I know VW has extended the warranty because of the modifications.

I probably should start a new thread.
My "fixed" brand new 2015 TDI Passat gets better mileage than my 2010 TDI Jetta.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal

+2 on that "Amen".

Well said Hammer! Very concise indeed.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I currently have a 2016 Golf R and previously owned a 2012 JSW TDI. I am moving to Mexico City and want to replace the Golf R with a Golf wagon. I love the Golf R but the 19" rims would not last a week and it would bottom out on the numerous topes. I will keep it plated in the U.S. but it will spend most days unused in a garage in CDMX. I need the car for rare trips back to the U.S. with my large dog and not large wife. I will also use the car for short trips around Mexico with 4 adults and stuff. I will drive less than 6000 miles a year.

I plan to buy used and want a MK7. I will resell the car in 4 or 5 years.
I am considering a 2015 TDI S, DSG with 34,000 miles

and a 2017 TSI S auto with 20,000, they both cost 17K.

Which will have a higher resale value in 5 years? Which will cost less to maintain?

I am leaning towards the 2017 TSI but I did like the TDI I previously owned and I assume it will retain it's value better? Any and all advice will be appreciated.
The TDi will beat the resale value by far

One way to see the future resale value is to look at 2012 and 2010 Golf TDi values.

and the same for 2014 and 2013 gassers.

Do the same on KBB

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT

I would love a Polo.

All of your safety precautions are great, I do most if not all of them as well. Nothing says you can't do that in a newer car. I drive 30-50k miles per year across all my vehicles.

I'm not a worry wart, but given a choice, I'd rather be in a MK7 than a MK2 in any accident. Like a car slamming you from behind at 45-50 mph because they didn't notice everyone was stopped. On a bike/scooter I watch cars come up behind me, but I don't bother in a car. Maybe you never let you guard down?