TDI upgrade.com vendor site...BEWARE...trouble!!!

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
TDI upgrades.com vendor site...BEWARE...trouble!!!

TDI upgrades.com has been deaf to my requests to correct an error. I probably got drawn into one of numerous Prothe offspring companies.

I ordered a turbo smart actuator from them that was supposed to be a Garrett manufactured product for the Moto Remo company to fit the Garrett VNT17 turbos with the position sensor.
The picture on the product description webpage looks to be the correct part.

What came was a no-name actuator with a position sensor that does not fit the harness connection both in the housing design and the pin size configuration. I've not seen this connector housing configuration on any VW TDI. The vacuum nipple is clocked differently as well. It looks OK but its useless unless you make it work somehow.

I tried contacting them shortly after receiving it via their contact form and phone numbers that were given. NO effort to contact me. No response. That was at the beginning of April. They did not have any problem accepting the PayPal payment. :mad:

I am going to try to get a resolution from PayPal. Wish me luck.
BEWARE!

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I’ll be interested in what you find out. I had spoke to him on the phone before and bought a Garrett actuator from him, I imagine it was a new old stock, purchased through Amazon. He had told me that he was in the process of purchasing a house and getting a building going where someone could actually stop in. He has a physical address up on an offstreet running south off M 46 just east of 131. But the last time I tried to contact him I couldn’t get through and never got a response either. So I don’t know what’s up with him, if he actually exists up there or not

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
TDI upgrade.com has been deaf to my requests to correct an error. I probably got drawn into one of numerous Prothe offspring companies.

I ordered a turbo smart actuator from them that was supposed to be a Garrett manufactured product for the Moto Remo company to fit the Garrett VNT17 turbos with the position sensor.
The picture on the product description webpage looks to be the correct part.

What came was a no-name actuator with a position sensor that does not fit the harness connection both in the housing design and the pin size configuration. I've not seen this connector housing configuration on any VW TDI. The vacuum nipple is clocked differently as well. It looks OK but its useless unless you make it work somehow.

I tried contacting them shortly after receiving it via their contact form and phone numbers that were given. NO effort to contact me. No response. That was at the beginning of April. They did not have any problem accepting the PayPal payment. :mad:

I am going to try to get a resolution from PayPal. Wish me luck.
BEWARE!
Do the PP dispute online then call them after that . Do not wait for response.

Then when you call explain situation and they will take care of it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Big 10/4 on paypal claim. It may take a while for them to get back to you with what's going on right now and with what he has going on

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's tdiupgrades.com. With an s at the end. And apparently he's also stolen some of our blog articles. Michigan incorporation info (if I'm reading it right) shows the LLC as inactive, dissolved in February of this year. Don't know when you folks bought from them, but you may not be getting return phone calls because they're gone.

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
It's tdiupgrades.com. With an s at the end. And apparently he's also stolen some of our blog articles. Michigan incorporation info (if I'm reading it right) shows the LLC as inactive, dissolved in February of this year. Don't know when you folks bought from them, but you may not be getting return phone calls because they're gone.

Thanks, Peter for that info.

I guess I can always try to use it as a dumb actuator on my own car.:eek:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto

xTDIx

Vendor
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2009 Jetta TDI
We were away
Please return your item to
TDI Upgrades
9233 Marathon Dr
Howard City, Mi

I will cover shipping cost.

JETaah

TDI
We were away
TDI Upgrades
9233 Marathon Dr
Howard City, Mi

Thank You
I thought you might send me an email regarding this issue. I have not yet received anything.

I will wait for the notification of refund from PayPal

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
Thank You
I thought you might send me an email regarding this issue. I have not yet received anything.

I will wait for the notification of refund from PayPal

Still waiting for any communication from them directly.
never got an order confirmation/number
nor did I get a packing slip with the item.
NOTHING

Last edited:

red_lite_bandit

TDI
1998 alh swapped a4
im expieriencing a similar issue with them. I emailed about a turbo manifold he had for sale and found it to be 1 of 5 made for him and his friends based on darksides design and no longer available but listed non the less. the manifold showed up fine but when attempting to purchase anything else i havent been able to get a word with him.

he made promising remarks about getting a GTB2260 for a below average price but never followed through. must be very busy. being from michigan myself i was excited to do business with a somewhat local tdi enthusiest.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
im expieriencing a similar issue with them. I emailed about a turbo manifold he had for sale and found it to be 1 of 5 made for him and his friends based on darksides design and no longer available but listed non the less. the manifold showed up fine but when attempting to purchase anything else i havent been able to get a word with him.
he made promising remarks about getting a GTB2260 for a below average price but never followed through. must be very busy. being from michigan myself i was excited to do business with a somewhat local tdi enthusiest.
I felt the same way about a local business. I bought a couple things from him and they came as advertised and quickly. But contact has been spotty and dedication to running a business comes up short. It must be a sideline

JordanLee

TDI
2014 GSW
If were going to chime in with feedback. I also have some less than stellar opinions. I bought a CJAA DPF delete down pipe over a year ago from his eBay store. As with a Buzzken or Rawtek set up you’d assume it would mate between the turbo outlet and OEM cat back no problem. During install I noticed it seemed like I was down a piece. The connecting mid pipe that normally replaces the NOx cat. Hmm okay weird, Ill just use the OEM cat to join it up as maybe I made an error during purchasing and didn’t realize I needed to reuse this piece. No, the OEM midpipe doesnt fit since the aftermarket down pipe was tapered to a different slip fitting. So I had to go to an exhaust shop to get a piece slightly bent and cut (14-16’’ section). I gave my opinion on this via eBay and should’ve made a claim to be honest but time got the better of me and it slipped. I was semi scolded from the company for not realizing that this was a “downpipe” only but why sell something that will cause your customer to have to get something custom fabricated to make it home... or at least state in the ad that it is NOT a plug and play solution. With the amount of time and effort exerted figuring it out, I would’ve honestly went with a Buzzken.

Also of note, fitment seems quite poor as I had to buck 2’’ off the mounting legs to fit in the exhaust hanger and the bend is extremely close to the A/C lines in the tunnel. Would not recommend.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
This is why you always use a credit card you can dispute charged with to buy stuff from any vendor that's not a big vendor. Imo I use is reguardless for all purchases online.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual

He's busy alright.. He's busy avoiding commitments and promoting a lack of integrity. How does this guy even still have a Vendor title on this site is beyond me.

I wouldn't do one thing to tarnish my reputation here. Even one incident is too much for me to trust this guy.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
I filed my PayPal dispute today.
yeah, I gave this guy some crap a couple of years ago when I found out he set up his email address very close to mine, kind of felt like he was trying to piggyback on me?

Never met him, and for as close as he is in proximity to me, he's never come down to a GTG either, or introduced himself. Weird.

Kirk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Oh boy, the plot thickens!

On a side note, he does have a REALLY nice house according to a google search of the previously given address.

JETaah

TDI
The actuator was shipped back yesterday to TDIupgrades after Ken's (owner?) response to Paypal's resolution center.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The actuator was shipped back yesterday to TDIupgrades after Ken's (owner?) response to Paypal's resolution center.
The address he has on his website points to a rural, redneckish, trailer home kind of area. Everyone has to start from somewhere, but this guy is not on my list.

JETaah

TDI
The residence is anything but trailer park style and has an ample pole barn as well.
Zip code in his posted address is incorrect. Should be 49329.

JETaah

TDI
Refund received including return shipping from TDIupgrades.com

Thank You!
Case closed

onebadazzsrt

TDI
Jetta MK4, MK5 Jetta BRM
I am having a problem with him as well. Bought a vnt-17/22 turbo and it was defective. Sent it back he said they would fix it and never got it back, originally came in mid may and after several emails through eBay he said I would have it before labor day weekend, Sunday I opened a PayPal claim. He got me for a little over 1200.00

onebadazzsrt

TDI
Jetta MK4, MK5 Jetta BRM
We were away
TDI Upgrades
9233 Marathon Dr
Howard City, Mi

How you doing, I see I found you on the forums. How's that turbo coming along, was I supposed to get it before this labor day weekend or are we shooting for next year.

onebadazzsrt

TDI
Jetta MK4, MK5 Jetta BRM
An update on mr. TDI-upgrades, I've tried to call PayPal several times with more information as the seller tried to provide the original tracking number Wich did deliver but was damaged and then sent back, I have the emails from him confirming that the turbo was received and was sent in for repairs. I have since called my credit card company and disputed the claim and I have the money back.

For him to claim he is very busy is B.S.

I had two friends on different occasions email him questions about parts they intended to buy and instant responses from him. When I email I get crickets.

My opinion of this man is he is a liar and not trustworthy at all.

thatfaroutchick

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 1.9
just wanted to put my two cent in on the a$$h0L3

I ordered a intake manifold on May 26th and a couple days went by without a tracking number or anything so I inquired. He informed me that I bought the wrong item (maybe if he had come clear descriptions there wouldn't any confusion) and that it would be shipping out soon. Then 2 weeks go by and still nothing. So I inquired and there was no response. I even called the number on his site (which is just a cell phone) and he shut his phone off. Then I threatened him with PayPal and he actually replied me only to call me names and swear. Another week later after I got PayPal involved I finally got a refund. This guy is a stain on the TDI community and everyone would do well to avoid.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
This whole thread should have been done in the vendor accountability thread. Why was a new one formed in the 101 section? I can't move the thread into another thread w/my moderator levels. Will see if admins can do it.

In future, please don't pollute Tdi 101 with non-101 content like this. I know you thought to get broader reach, but buying customers know to check the vendor accountability thread in the vendor section. That's what it's for. Please don't reinvent the wheel.

JETaah

TDI
This whole thread should have been done in the vendor accountability thread. Why was a new one formed in the 101 section? I can't move the thread into another thread w/my moderator levels. Will see if admins can do it.

In future, please don't pollute Tdi 101 with non-101 content like this. I know you thought to get broader reach, but buying customers know to check the vendor accountability thread in the vendor section. That's what it's for. Please don't reinvent the wheel.
I don't quite understand your beef. This is not "vendor accountability" but for sure isn't "TDI 101 either".