TDI Transplant

Bernhardt

My 82 pickup is nearing a rebuild. I'm toying with the idea of dropping a TDI into it. I'm pretty sure that the TDI will bolt to my current tranny, but can the tranny take the torque of the TDI, let a lone a tweaked one. I also know that changing over my shifting mechanism to the current cable system is a pain, so I don't want to do that. I'd rather beef up a tranny and maybe get some custom ratios for it, though I don't think it will be necessary.

------------------
82 VW Pickup, 1.6TD, 5spd, 328k
94 F350 PSD

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
If I were you, I would change the tranny with the engine. VW used the same tranny as the one they use with the VR6 on our cars. The original tranny that is in your truck isn't up to the task of handling the torque of even a stock A3 TDI of 149ft*lbs. If you decide to use the original tranny, be prepared to have to replace it and replace it often.

Eurospec, in Gilroy, CA sells a kit to retrofit a newer O2A tranny (as used in the VR6 and TDI equipped cars) in the place of an older O2O tranny (the tranny in your truck). The kit costs something like $600. Eurospec doesn't deal directly with the public. TechTonics tuning is a Eurospec dealer, I believe.

Try to locate a wrecked TDI somewhere and get the entire car as a donor. You will get the larger brakes with it as well.

DocSoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Bernhardt,

The clutch in the TDI is a factor also. You won't be able to just use the TDI clutch and PP with an A2 tranny either. The VR6 tranny will require some 'adjustments' for the A2. There are some aftermarket A2 trannys and clutches that will handle the torque of the TDI (Gasers use them). This way you will avoid all the mess or cost of changing the tranny mounts in your pickup, if needed. Be prepared to spend $3000-5000 (used) for the complete TDI engine and managment systems.

Jeff

vw1984

Call the Parts Place, 12483732300. Just rec their Diesel owner's manual, Cat A, Spring 2000 catalog and they have TDI engines for sale and all the parts for the TDI engine.

Bernhardt

Thanks for the info guys. A doner vehicle if I'm going to do this was in the plans anyway. I probably won't do the transplant to my current truck - the engines' ran way too strong very reliably for 328k to just toss it. So for this truck it's more a distant second choice, but I have my eye on another one that is a more likely canidate.

What size clutch are they running behind the TDI?

dsldrvr

Have followed your thread with interest. Thinking of doing approximately the same with one major exception. As much as I like our new TDI I don no like the long terem ? of electronic controls to many very difficult to trace potential problems. I will say that with enough time and money anything will fit into anything. An old hotrod axiom Chevy powered minors, sprites, etc. Yours would be a bit mor practical. If a donor is found graft everything ahead of the firewall this gives you brakes, transmission,clutch whatever. Would be nice if the complete drive assembly would fit.Good luck.

Jason Crabtree

Veteran Member
I am currently going through an TDi conversion into a 92 Golf. I have kept a running commentary (including some pics) under the Golf Gallery section. I am waiting for a couple more pic's to arrive so I can post.

Big problems:
- Different tranny so lots of work to swap to a VR6 type set up
- throttle linkage (since drive by wire). I am waiting for pictures of these so people can see how RPI solved it.
- TDI pedal box wouldn't fit so had to use a VR6 pedal box. Then the drive by wire module didn't fit in pedal box. Then had to overcome that.
- intercooler. I have pictures of how they overcame this in the Golf TDI Gallery
- will have to push the frame out a little bit to get engine to fit. This is common in VR6 swaps.
- Couldn't use a/c compressor since it wouldn't fit with the radiator. Too much interfence. So removed, then have to do some work to get a stock serpentine belt to fit. Had to add a pulley
- all the wiring since ECU controlled.

I have documented some. I am waiting for my car to come back from RPI so I can take some more pics of everything. It has been quite a swap for them but they are close.

Recommendation: get a good donor car and expect problems.

I have that my write up in the Golf TDI gallary is somewhat useful to you. Once the swap is complete, I hope (with Fred) to create a web site with a lot more pic and narrative on. Later this year.

Any questions, let me know.

J.