TDI Timing in Vag-Com

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hi all,

I hope someone can help with the following please.

I have Vag-Com, and when I go in to engine settings and group 00>basic settings, block 2 registers a value of zero. I understand this block to be the timing box which plots on the timing graph. Now this value is just way off the graph (not within range of timing graph!). I have found cold starting to be a little hesitant but thats about it. No massive smoke trails when I am driving generally, and no misfiring.

Before I go into Basic Settings, the value for block 2 shows '59'. Does this form any significance on timing at all please?

Any help would be appreciated, as I am getting a little concerned on this value of '0' (zero) that I am getting when following how to get the timing result from vag-com!

Thanks,

Adam

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Adam, are you following these directions:

web page

Has your fuel temp sensor gone wonky? That can cause different problems.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Dieseldorf,

I am following those instructions exactly. The only thing I change is by checking the box '80C = Hot', as my car doesn't seem to go over 85C for the coolant temperature.

The fuel temperature I captured was 139 so I don't think that is the problem.

The weird thing is that if I do not go into basic settings, I do get a reading on block 2 of '59'. Is this any significance at all? The whole thing with the graph and basic settings is truly baffling me.

Thanks,

Adam

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
IIRC Basic Settings mode removes all adaption so you can view the actual mechanical timing setting. These are drive by wire cars that are making adjustments all the time.

The timing chart plug in wants Basic Settings as that is the correct method. IIRC you will not see the Timing graph link unless you are in Basic settings.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
If it goes to 000 or 255 when you go to Basic Settings, it means your mechanical timing is off.

Think of this like an old gasser, where you set the timing by turning the distributor. On most of those, you had to disconnect the vacuum line in order to set the "basic" timing. On a TDI, going to Basic Settings mode is a akin pulling that vacuum line..:)

-Uwe-

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply Uwe. I am beginning to understand more and more now. So when I go to basic settings I am receiving un-altered raw ecu data. Does block 2 stating 000 in basic settings therefore mean my injection timing is very retarded and needs advancing a little. I would presume this is the case, but the small description on the bottom right pane states the 'timing is too advanced

One other thing, I am guessing the static cam timing should be nothing to do with this as I am getting smooth running once the engine is going? Just to clear my mind on that one...

Note to self, get someone with a diagnostic cable to change my timing belt in future

Thanks for your assistance!

Adam

TDI_ED

TDI
99 Red Beetle, 96 Green Passat Wagon
I am having the same problem happen to me, timing to advanced in Vag Com on my 96 Passat. When I try to retard it, my good starting and running, no smoke car goes to exactly the opposite, hard starting bad running and smoking. Also I am not getting any fault codes.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Then try advancing it. The idea is to get it into the range where you can actually see (i.e values higher than 000 but lower than 255) and then fine-tune it.

-Uwe-