tdi swap parts list?

2gntdi

TDI
none right now
ok well im going to pick up a vw jetta tdi soon and swap it over to a non vw car. ive searched to forum and a couple of things i know for sure needs to be swapped over like the engine,engine harness,transmission. but am i missing some other things that i need to pull out of the tdi?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
ECU, OBD port, cluster (in place or hidden), some relays, cruise stick....and the clutch & brake switches. Those switches involve safety...like no start until clutch is engaged. Like if clutch or brake is depressed the cruise will kick-out.

And, the ignition assembly & key if you buy an ALH that has the immobilizer.... or, as I understand, the immobilizer can be disabled for a fee by a guru or a dealer. I'm using a "two" key system.

It is a head scratching challenge....... trust me!

2gntdi

TDI
none right now
what about the gas tank how would that work as far as me putting in diesel fuel?

CFM

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Saturn with a 1997 TDI drivetrain.
Just cut the unleaded nozzle restrictor out of the filler neck so the diesel nozzle will fit. If you have an in-tank fuel pump, you can use it as a pusher pump by regulating the pressure down to around 3-4 psi via a Holley fuel pressure regulator.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
so i can still use my oem tank or would i have to swap it?

Slow down, read and bring up your tdi & general automotive mechanics knowledge first. :)

2gntdi

TDI
none right now
i just need accurate information on doing it right the first time

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Bro, the VW tank will most likely not fit in the spot the tank is in your vehicle.... shaped differently, maybe larger, vent systems not the same, holes will not likely be in the right place, etc.

The filler neck on your vehicle can be modified to accept the diesel nozzle at Truck Stop pump..............The "auto diesel pump nozzles" at the service stations will go right into a gasser car!

To do the conversion I've been working on for the last year, I have done a ton of reading, research, etc.......... you will need to do the same!

You have not told us which "TDI" you plan to buy or what vehicle you plan to install the engine into!............ all that is important!

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
I know everybody has their own reasons for doing engine swaps and sometimes its just 'cause, but why wouldn't you just find a TDI '96-97 Passat and call it a day? The cost of swapping engines is twice what you think its going to be, especially when custom parts are going to be needed. Just to get axles made to go from nissan hubs to vw transmission is around $500 if i recall correctly. Never mind the 100 little things that are $5-10 bucks at a time. I figure i have close to $1200 in my truck swap and there were lots of freebies along the way. Just my 2 cents though, not trying to talk you out of it.

Luke

2gntdi

TDI
none right now
Custom axles and mounts im getting for free lol so your saying thats better tdi model thats pre 99 to get and not the mk3 jetta tdi

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
I would just get a Passat TDI and be happy. The engines in the jetta and passat are virtually identical, there are a few very minor differences but they both output exactly the same power. By going pre-'99, there are a couple of things that are simplified. There is no immobilizer on the 1Z/AHU, there is no VNT turbo although you may consider that a minus and the ecu is slightly more complex to wire (120 pin vs 68 pin). I don't know much about swapping an ALH, but there is lots of info here to read up on. I just don't get the point of swapping a TDI into a different fwd sedan when you could just drive a jetta or passat as is. I'm just trying to understand why, not trying to put down the project.

Luke

2gntdi

TDI
none right now
I wanna do the swap cause i like a challenge also i like my cars to be different thats all

2gntdi

TDI
none right now
ok first i wanna start with the fuel....now do i take the fuel pump out of my stock tank and use the tdi diesel filler neck on it?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Man you have a ways to go on the learning curve!.........start reading! If we hand feed you all the info, the swap/conversion will mean nothing to you! Remember, you will be the dude that has to maintain the mixed breed you are creating. So, you need to know what makes it tick! To know that, do research here in these forums and else where...learn about the different engines, systems, etc., by looking in the stickys, reading other conversion Threads, etc.

The ALH and AHU engines do not require a pump in the fuel tank! I suppose you could leave it there.......... what would tell it to be running? Remember, the ECU of the receipent car will not be in use....so, what's going to tell the darn thing to run? Are you going to put a "flip switch" on the dash? I am being a little facetious! But, these are real questions that go hand in hand with the one you have posed!

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Read

ok first i wanna start with the fuel....now do i take the fuel pump out of my stock tank and use the tdi diesel filler neck on it?
Read every thread in the TDI Conversions section of this forum. Take notes on questions you have as you read.

Follow the threads referenced therein. This is even more reading. Read the factory service and repair manual for a 1Z motor (that's about $150 and if you can find one). Then read the Maxima FSM (probably another $150). Do you already know Diesels in general? They're different, alright.

Then read all the stuff I left out. You will realize, among other things, that fuel pumps are the least of your worries. And remember, if it's not fun, you're doing it wrong. Happy reading.

hbarca

TDI
I am looking to buy the 1.9L TDI to "performance tune"
okay guys... I was pondering putting a 1.9 tdi in porsche 914. I can get the adapter from kennedy.. I can make my mounts, weld etc. What I am trying to find out is what do I need in terms of the wiring harness since the tdi is a throttle by wire setup. If you guys would point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
okay guys... I was pondering putting a 1.9 tdi in porsche 914. I can get the adapter from kennedy.. I can make my mounts, weld etc. What i am trying to find out is what do i need in terms of the wiring harness since the tdi is a throttle by wire setup. If you guys would point me in the right direction, i would be most grateful.

there is a sticky at the top of the swap forum...read it