tdi swap?legal?

TDIFRANK

Hey guys and gals. Anyone out there know anything about registering a tdi converted car? I live in D.C. and am considering converting a 95 cabrio to tdi. My biggest concern is will I have any trouble getting the car inspected and renewing the plates. Anyone around here been through this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I was reading on a Toyota diesel forum that a guy just took his car to DMV and had the tittle modified to reflect the fuel type change and that it was very simple. The person has since not had any issues with DMV or Smog. Othere people who try to go to smog to get it OKed typically have hasseles. I think my car will always be registered in NC and I think NC will be one of the last states to smog cars

Crispy_8V

TDI
Mk1/A1 Golf GTTDI, Mk4 GTDI & Corrado TDI
here in the UK we have no issues, other than declaring it on the owners registration, & your insurance!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/echeck/other_programs/modifveh.html

That would be what you're looking for.

It's kinda screwy, but if you get them to take it as a self-assembled car, then that'll help you a lot.

Edit: Ah, didn't see the whole thing about you living in DC. In that case, disregard this post - it was meant for Ohio residents. (you might want to change your profile location ;))

caddytd

Veteran Member
TDI
81 CaddyTD Baby Blue
Sounds like a fun project. Does anyone know whether they made a TDI cabrio in Europe?

When I was researching my A4 TDI swap (I was then considering a 4-cyl) and I called the EPA, they seemed to acknowledge the fact that VAG actually made TDI cars in my model year even though they came in as Passats and not A4's.

The regional administrator I talked to said that the swap would be fine so long as I retained all the factory emissions equipment that came with the car. That said, it's important to note that in my county, they recently did away with emissions requirements, so I shouldn't have any problems there. For registration purposes, I don't have to change my title.

Previously in Ohio, they'd run your VIN at the emissions testing place, then proceed with the test from there. On a quattro equipped car, they don't put it on the rollers, they simply plug in the OBD plug then run the car at different rpm's...

If your testing in DC is the same, they'd pull up your car and want to plug in an OBD test plug and possibly use a test probe in the exhaust as for a 2.0 liter gas motor. The diesel opacity tests are different, as you know. It would appear that you have to somehow convince them that your VIN doesnt' correspond to the engine.

Each county / state varies as far as what they allow and how they deal with "modified" cars. I'd suggest trying to get ahold of someone in your local DMV / EPA offices to see how they deal with situations like this. As with any gov't agency, you might have to make 5 calls before you find out who to deal with on this...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
caddytd: Ah, the joys of living in a non-E-Check county :D

(FWIW, my county has NEVER been E-Check...)

Anyway, agreed on the advice there.

And, here's a (Dutch?) review of a 1996 Golf Cabrio Avantgarde TDI.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
That said, it's important to note that in my county, they recently did away with emissions requirements, so I shouldn't have any problems there.
I did not think this EVER happened. Once they were there, they did not leave, just change how things were tested. My county does have emission testing, but not for diesels, so I am good there.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
After my 96 VR6 to 96 TDI swap was complete, I called my Virginia State DMV inspector, explained what was involved in the swap, and he blessed it telephonically. I went to the DMV and the inspector had already called the branch manager so he knew exactly what to do (change the g to a d on the title).

The_Transporter

Veteran Member
TDI
Transporter 2.5 (174Bhp), 2004, Wheat Beige
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
I think you'll have more problems smelling the diesel exhaust fumes when the top is down than you will with DMV.
Both Audi and Saab produce a diesel rag top over here